Author Topic: Post surgery update for everyone to read, translab approach  (Read 3829 times)

shameless_stud

Hey everyone,

I've not been on the forum for quite a while admittedly. I used to post my worries and stresses with my pending surgery, most of them plain silly thinking back! Anyway, as I found it very useful at the time reading back all of your amazing and harrowing stories of diagnosis through to treatment, I'm back to share my story in the hope it will inspire others that are in the position I was a few months ago.

Ok just to summerize, I had a 1.2cm left sided AN with 50% hearing loss, no balance or vertigo issues. In fact, the only symptom I had was the hearing loss (and the fear of the unknown obviously!). I was 23 when they found the tumour which is rare in itself I've been told. Now 26 and I had surgery at Salford Royal Hospital in the North West of England 2 months ago via the translabyrinthine approach.

The surgery itself lasted 8 hours and thank the lord went very well indeed. All the tumour was successfully removed with no damage to my facial nerve or anything else for that fact. Wether that's a combination of my age, determination and/or someone looking over me I don't know but I feel extremely fortunate indeed to say the least. The recovery was quite tough. I was violently sick for a couple of days after, literally not able to keep down my sips of water. I can only presume it was a mixture of the anesthesia which I've never had before and head trauma. I was only given Paracentoml for the pain and small doses of oral morphine, although the morphine had zero affect on me at all and all the paracetomol did was bring down my temperature which was high at times.

Immediately after coming round from surgery was strange. I was 100% aware of what was going on, I just couldn't open my eyes very well as they felt mega heavy. My vision was extremely blurred all night too. I remember my mum and dad talking to me though, even though they divorced over 18 years ago and haven't been in the same room since. It was very comforting knowing they were putting their differences aside to care for me, knowing how much they dislike each other. The worst thing believe it or not was immense pain coming from my lower back / backside. It's the last place I expected pain to come from! It was due to the fact it was such a long surgery and despite being told the surgery table prevents this type of trauma, I literally had severe pain there for nearly a month an a half after. Sitting on my bum was a real challenge! Despite this I was determined to get moving on the 2nd day, the first day was a right-off. Over the next couple of days, I steadily started to feel better, my cannulas for fluids are still in, so is my catheter and tight head bandage - all of which are not painful, just annoying when you want to get comfy.

Also I should mention that I had an inch and half wound on my stomach where the surgical team grafted muscle and fat from the area to fill in behind my ear where there was no longer skull present. I'd not read anything about this method until my surgeon said they were going to do it this way but it was relatively un-painful and I have a little 'dip' in my lower stomach along with a neat scar but it doesn't bother me at all.

The 3rd day - I start to feel much better. I stopped being sick, and I was keeping small amounts of fluid and food in. This alone is enough to make anyone feel better! I'm also starting to walk un-aided to the bathroom, albeit very slowly, which meant I could have my awful catheter out. Man, that tube is never-ending!!!

The 4th day - I was discharged from hospital!! Despite the fact I hadn't been for a good poo, I was well enough to go home. I was still fragile but mum's cooking made me feel much better.

Day 5 - I went for a brisk walk with my mum. The fresh air was so nice and I'm walking ok. Little bit heavy-footed though. I'm not falling over or feeling dizzy but certainly feeling a bit disorientated. The left side of my head (surgery side) feels either really heavy or really light. I couldn't work it out, a bizarre feeling but this is just my brain trying to adjust to the trauma of no sound detection etc.

After a few months I have to say, I feel amazing. I'd say pretty much back to normal. Was only off work 2 months and touch wood I have no major symptoms, other than the complete hearing loss and tinitus which can be bad at time but I just deal with it.

I class myself to be so fortunate and I just wanna say to all those that have pending surgeries or treatments. Positive mind means positive healing. Without sounding like a loony, I strongly believe that negativity breeds negativity so if you keep as positive as possible you will get through it all. The body is an amazing thing, capable of stuff I never thought possible. If you're determined to be sick or think about the negatives all the time, your body will make you ill.

My thoughts and positivity goes out to all of you inspirational people on here, keep up your hard work.

Although treatment procedures in the US and other parts of the world differ from that in the UK, feel free to ask me anything you want to know and I'll try my best to answer for you.

Mark ;-)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 04:15:57 pm by shameless_stud »

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Post surgery update for everyone to read, translab approach
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 04:30:54 pm »
Mark ~

Congratulations on a splendid recovery following a successful and uncomplicated AN surgery.  Thanks, too, for posting your experience in detail for newly diagnosed AN patients anxiously contemplating surgery to read and, one assumes, be encouraged by learning about your experience.  Positive thoughts do help but in ways we can't quite explain.  Stay well.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

stevecms

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 04:43:06 pm »
Well done mark sounds like you are going from strength to strength,im also from the uk and had translab 18mths ago at queen elizabeth birmingham.all the best for the future mate cheers steve
4 cm acc neuroma 99.9% removed queen elizabeth hospital 6 sept 09 by dr walsh.thought it was trigeminal neuralga,lots of facial pain for 18mths,now deaf on rh side little taste and ear pressure.13 hour surgery.

shameless_stud

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 02:24:25 pm »
Thanks a lot guys, it was the advice and support from this forum that helped me so thought it was only fair to give something back.

Hope it helps someone, even if it's just a fraction.

Cheers,
Mark

jkchum

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 10:11:13 am »
Hi all,

I am a new member and had my surgery done on March 6, 2017 at the University of Washington Medical Center in Seattle,  WA.  I am one week post op now and no facial palsy.  I am not sure which approach my neurosurgeon used on me but will update once I meet with him to remove my stitches.  My tumor was fairly large, at about 4.4cm and it was a long surgery.   However,  my neurosurgeon,  Dr. Ferrera was able to remove the bulk of the tumor.  I was discharge from the hospital within 2 days, which is a good thing.   I am able to walk at the supermarket without the use of a cane.  Happy about that.   I hope things will continue to improve for me.  I feel really blessed to have a wonderful team of doctors to work with.   For those that is in the Seattle area, please look up Dr. Manual Ferrera, a wonderful neurosurgeon.