Author Topic: BP100 experience  (Read 2285 times)

hearncl

BP100 experience
« on: March 19, 2010, 04:20:05 pm »
I picked up my BP100 in late February. (It had been ordered at the time of surgery, early December.) The audiologist conducted a hearing test and programmed the BP100 accordingly. Unfortunately, after taking it home I found it basically unusable. As has been reported several times in this forum, random sounds triggered a feedback response resulting in numerous beeps and whistles. I was also unhappy with the sound quality--sounds seemed to be echoing as if in a cavern.

My audiologist contacted Cochlear and found that there had been a BP100 firmware update, so we decided to have it updated before trying any more adjustment. Today I received the BP100 with new firmware--actually, a completely new BP100 (so now I have two two sets of accessories). I'm happy to say that the feedback problem is much improved. So far there have been many fewer extraneous whistles and beeps. (The next step, if necessary, is to turn off the feedback control.)

I'm still not completely happy with the sound quality--there's still an echo effect. The audi did make some adjustments (reduced the low frequency response), which helped. In addition to frequency response, there are parameters--directionality, noise reduction, and feedback reduction--that can be adjusted for each of the three programs. (The three programs are "everyday", "noise", and "music".) However, I doubt if the echo effect can ever be adjusted completely out, so I hope I'll get used to it.

There are tiny buttons on the BP100 for controlling volume and switching between programs. I can see how some would have trouble accessing these buttons, but I do not. There is a system of beeps to indicate volume and program changes. The only problem I've had is a tendency to press the program (middle) button too long, which turns off the BP100 instead of changing the program.

I don't know yet if I'll go back to the audi for further adjustment. Someday I hope to try out the Oticon Ponto Pro, and it will be interesting to see the difference. My recommendation to those getting a PB100 is to be sure it has the latest firmware.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: BP100 experience
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 12:15:50 am »
hearn -

thanks for the tip about the latest firmware.  I'm due to get my BP100 on April 6th and I'll ask the audiologist about that.  I'm looking forward to my upgrade and I'm VERY EXCITED!!!  ;D

I tried the Ponto Pro back in November and found the sound quality to be identical with that of the BP100, so in my opinion, you aren't missing anything.

I'm glad to hear your issues with the programming have been worked out.  Several on the Forum have reported that the feedback control on their BP100s had to be turned off, so if you experience further problems, that's most likely the route to go.

Best,

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lawmama

• I'm a Postie Now!!!
    • My AN Blog:
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 06:35:14 am »
I'm in the process of trying to get insurance approval for a BP100, so I really appreciate your review.  I hope your audiologist is able to adjust your BP100 to your satisfaction.  I was very impressed with the test in my audiologist's office, but I am trying to keep my expectations low and reasonable.  Everyone keeps reminding me that it is not the same as having my hearing back.

Anyway, thanks again for the info!

Lyn
9mm X 7mm tumor (left side), diagnosed 10-15-09
Retrosigmoid on 12-14-09 by Drs. Antonelli and Lewis (my heroes!)
Shands in Gainesville, FL
SSD, but no facial issues.  Mild tinnitus.

grega

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 09:45:02 am »
Thanks hearn, for your review and mention of current firmwear..... very helpful as I await feedback (diff type of course) from the hospital where baha proccedure will be.  They correspond with my ins co, and order the processor, etc, from Cochlear, so I'm in same boat as you, Lyn, waiting to hear favorable info on coverage.

Greg
1.5 cm AN retrosig 11/04.
Drs. Henry Brem & Michael Holliday @ Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
SSD right. Tinnitus big-time, only when thinking of it.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"