Author Topic: What caused your AN ?  (Read 59534 times)

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
Re: What caused your AN ?
« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2006, 10:33:35 pm »
Genetics.......yes!!

Paul
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #61 on: August 24, 2006, 06:12:59 am »
Whapped by evil AN fairy......Yes!
Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #62 on: August 24, 2006, 06:37:11 am »
Such interesting reading!  I was at Woodstock................my first experience with the wacky weed.  Just the smell...smoking made my mascara run.  Then in the 70's I went to every Rod Stewart concert I could get to.  The 90's I revisited the Stones.  "Weed" wasn't illegal back then so we grew it and ground it up and put it in our brownies and spaghetti sauce.  Even my Mom and Dad liked it!  Yikes.  None one else in the family has or had a tumor......................but then I've heard that the brothers are still users.  Maybe it is stress related.  A study or a good idea here would be the survey at the many doctor's we see.
 ???BrendaO
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

DeniseSmith

« Reply #63 on: August 24, 2006, 06:45:46 am »
Don't know what caused mine, only wish i had been smart enough to go to the dr. when my hearing started to go.

Minimal wacky weed use
Love music, minimal concerts attended
was in military around jets (loud noise)
mild concussion around age of 13
minimal cell phone useage

I think basically, i have lived a quiet life (noise wise). I a single mother of two teenage boys, maybe the stress of raising them got to me!  :o

I also work in the mortgage business, which is stressful enough to cause an AN if they are found to be caused by stress

Good Thread

Denise : 8)

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #64 on: August 24, 2006, 06:49:31 am »
Its funny , looking back some things start to make sense .. Yea I played a little with "weed" but one of the reasons I stopped in my 20's was because what it did to my eye's! .. I would get terrible "dry" red eye .. an when I worked at a greenhouse during the summer,  I would have trouble with my eye's because dirt would bother them and would get bad "red" eye ... and guess what.. it was mainly on my right side... My AN side.... were these early signs of my AN, 20 years ago .. I think so!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2006, 06:52:15 am by Joef »
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #65 on: August 24, 2006, 06:54:33 am »
"Ganja" is a way of life in the Caribbean--can buy it along with the fruits and veggies at the roadside stand.  It's been 18 years, but I definitely participated in de way o' life, mon! :o
Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

mellowrama

« Reply #66 on: August 24, 2006, 08:49:26 am »
Great topic! How about chemicals?  I don't know how'd that play back into history but it seems to me that more and more people are getting these things...

My mom had a beauty shop in the home growing up, lots of hairspray and perms  :P  And, I did a lot of silk sreen priniting in my youth exposed to inks, cleaning solutions and dark room stuff... :P

Also had
- trauma from car accidents
- loud music (disco and concerts)
- wacky weed (helps today with dizzyness)
- cell phone usage
- lots of computer usage (with headphones for editing audio)  I was actually warned about this back in the 90's!
- lots of caffeine

I think something about my body is apt to growing things too, as I have no problem with lots of hair and fast growth with fingernails.
I now try to always eat organic if I can...
melinda
22mm x 19mm x 12mm CyberKnife  9/25/2006 BNI Dr. Daspit/Dr. Smith/Dr. Brachman
Failed radiation - regrowth to 2.6cm 
Translab Surgery w/ House Docs 8/26/2009 Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz, SSD, tinnitus. 
Baha surgery with Dr. Baker in OKC nov 2009
Baha revision surgery by Dr. Horn in ABQ 8/2011

Survival Nate

• TravAddic
« Reply #67 on: August 24, 2006, 10:19:45 am »
WARNING BAD SPELLING
Nate post from another thread

well I have always been around RFs and the like all my life, but just about a year before my AN was found I started using the cell phone at a regular bases and I started working at a company that used cordless long range phones which I used 80% of the day. This could have somthing to do with mine, but ill never know I always talked on my right ear (my AN side). there has been many times in my life were it may have or may not have played a part, I have been exsposed to radiation, microwave transmissions, and even toxic waste  when I was in the army and other endevors.
If only got the AN I feel lucky LOL

WARNING BAD SPELLING

at age 21yo
AN 5.05cm removed Feb 2005
Gamma Knifed July 2005
at age 31yo
AN regrowth @ 1.5cm - 2014
Pituitary Gland tumor 2mm
https://www.travaddic.com/

Joef

« Reply #68 on: August 25, 2006, 04:02:09 am »
LOL .. and a beutifull weeks stay at the hospital of your choice

and a free $100,000 surgery!! all this and more at the price-is-right!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2006, 04:06:52 am by Joef »

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #69 on: August 25, 2006, 01:07:22 pm »
WACKY WEEK CAUSE WONKEY HEAD????

Tried it but NEVER INHALED
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

Survival Nate

• TravAddic
« Reply #70 on: August 25, 2006, 01:42:49 pm »
they all say that  :P ;) :P
at age 21yo
AN 5.05cm removed Feb 2005
Gamma Knifed July 2005
at age 31yo
AN regrowth @ 1.5cm - 2014
Pituitary Gland tumor 2mm
https://www.travaddic.com/

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #71 on: August 25, 2006, 01:58:39 pm »
truth be known,  what we say we gave up in our youth,  may be the best headache med available out there.

back to what caused the AN,  In reading this thread,

I had a  really bad head injury  25 yrs ago
did do the wacky stuff, never inhaled
went to many loud rock concerts
use a cell phone, never listen though

but what I find more interesting to explore that was brought up on this thread is that more woman than men get AN's, and a mention of HRT's   I know of a gal who's 2nd AN grew back with a vengance (got huge took 26 hours to get out) during her pregnancy. The doc's said it was regrowth that from her first one and was fed off of the increased hormones in her body while being pregnant, and it grew rapidly during her pregnancy.  When I went in for surgery I specifically asked them to biopsy the beast for hormones becasue I had a hysterectomy in 2001 and have been on low dose HRT. Made me wonder if the HRT fed the thing. They didn't elaborate much on the subject just told me it tested negative for hormones. In thinking about this again, I may go back and get a copy of the pathology report, along with my surgery report which I have never seen.

BTW Nate,  very cute baby.  and don't worry about the spelling, my type o's (dyslexic) are worse than yours

Patti UT
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #72 on: August 25, 2006, 02:01:08 pm »
I didn't read every post in this interesting (and probably inevitable) thread but as what we now call an Acoustic Neuroma tumor was noted and even operated on over 100 years ago (unsuccessfully in most cases, as using mallets and gouges for brain 'surgery' wasn't conducive to patient survival) I have to doubt that 'stress', cell phones, microwave ovens, youthful marijuana smoking, modern food additives, rock music (live or heard via headphones) or even exposure to asbestos really has anything to do with them.  I suspect that ANs are genetic and not a manifestation of any environmental or emotional condition.  They have likely been around for many, many centuries, before medicine moved from leeches and bleeding to 'cure' physical ailments.  Now, with the MRI and increased physician and patient awareness of the somewhat rare AN tumor, we're seeing more of them and quite naturally, speculating on the cause, in the hope that by learning the cause, we can prevent AN tumors.  That would be wonderful but as the cause of most cancers cannot be found or eliminated despite billions spent on that disease, I don't see a 'cure' for AN growth happening in our lifetime.  Well, not in mine, anyway.  I hope I'm mistaken.  I really do.

Jim
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 04:17:53 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Joef

« Reply #73 on: August 25, 2006, 05:52:34 pm »

I wish every time I heard "my AN grew quickly while I was pregnant" I  had another 1$ , it seems I've read it here a lot ...

Windsong

« Reply #74 on: August 25, 2006, 06:16:16 pm »
HI Jim,

Good to see this post.

I began to think:  are there any research studies out there re "cell studies" from Ans?  hopefully cells from the the "CORE" cells which began the An growth in the first place....  maybe an answer lies in that.

The An has to start somewhere right? And schwann cells are all over lots of nerves. SOOOO i figure something is in the schwann cells, their DNA, RNA,, nucleus stuff etc.......any history re schwannomas that go back more than 150 yrs ago?
 maybe it's lead.

Thanks,

cheers

Windsong

I didn't read every single post in this interesting (and probably inevitable) thread but as what we now call an Acoustic Neuroma was noted and operated on over 100 years ago, albeit unsuccessfully in most cases, as using mallets and gouges for brain 'surgery' wasn't conducive to patient survival , I doubt cell phones, microwave ovens, youthful marijuana smoking, modern food additives, rock music in headphones or even exposure to asbestos has anything to do with them.  I suspect that ANs are genetic-based and may have been around for many, many centuries, before medicine moved from leeches and bleeding to 'cure' physical ailments.   Frankly, although it would be great to find a way to prevent their growth, I don't see that happening in our lifetime.  Well, not in mine, anyway.

Jim