Author Topic: Working from Home  (Read 3708 times)

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
    • mytooma - the acoustic neuroma blog
Working from Home
« on: April 02, 2009, 08:24:27 am »
Hi All,

I hope everyone is doing well. This may be slightly off topic, but I would appreciate any feedback you may have. It seems as though I may be losing my job shortly. I've been here for 8 years and it's really the only job I've really ever had (after college). Outside of there being very few jobs out there (I live in Michigan (United States)), I am also limited by some of my impairments, especially my SSD.

I think working from home would be ideal in that my hearing, eye problems, etc. wouldn't be much of a factor. Not to mention the other benefots from working from home. I'm wondering what people do (besides sales) that work from home. I think I'm a very good worker and discipline enough to do it, it's just a matter of finding the right opportunity.

Any feedback?

Thanks!   :)

andrea in slc

Re: Working from Home
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 08:29:14 am »
Hi Scott-

Hope you don't loose your job, that would suck. I have to say though, I LOVE working from home. Of course, that could be because I also get to stay home with my 5-year-old, which I also love. I do medical transcription (transcribe audio reports from docs). It works out well with headphones even with my SSD. And it all is done over the computer. Doesn't pay well though, at least not right at first.

Sorry, probably not what you were looking for so much, just thought I'd through in my experience (and try to get us closer to that 100,000)!

Andrea

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 08:31:59 am »
Thank you Andrea. Is there special training/education required for that?

andrea in slc

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 08:53:43 am »
Yeah, it's not as easy as people think. Medical word building, anatomy, then actually doing practice reports (ESL docs are difficult, heck, "English-speaking" docs can be difficult)! If you want to PM me, I'll give you the name of the school I graduated from, I don't know if I should post it here. They say the training is possible in about 5 months to 1 year, and all done over the internet. I really like it. Found several errors on my radiology reports from my MRIs, and I haven't gotten my op report yet from my surgery to check that out, LOL.

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 09:11:05 am »
If you do look into medical transcription work, be sure to find out whether a practice is moving toward electronic health records in the foreseeable future, or you may be out of work again in a short time. Most of the electronic health record software has voice recognition features so the docs can dictate right into the system.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

andrea in slc

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 09:30:00 am »
Good point Sara. Although even with the voice recognition, there is still a need for editors to check it. I haven't had to deal with that yet, thankfully. I like the straight transcription better.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 03:05:39 pm »
Scott ~

I think it's very practical to be thinking about what you'll do if your job ends anytime soon. Working at home sounds like a desirable ambition if you can find something that is feasible.  I don't have any advice but medical transcription may be a viable idea and certainly worth looking into.  Be cautious, because I've read that the internet is absolutely loaded with scams that involve working from home, usually on your computer.  Unfortunately, many people are losing their jobs and are seeking a way to make money that sidesteps physical deficits (as in your case), eliminates commuting and generally let's you work the hours you want without a boss breathing down your neck.  Obviously, it's perfect for stay-at-home moms (and dads, in some cases).  I'm not looking for employment right now and, as a relatively slow typist, I'm not up to doing medical transcription work .  My volunteer work for ANA and other obligations I have keep me occupied.  However, I do like to write and I would definitely consider writing a weekly column or something similar for a small stipend.  Alas, no one seems very interested in my opinions but then, I haven't tried all that hard to sell them.  :)

I wish you well in your search for new fields to conquer and of course, I hope your current job lasts until you can find new, home-based employment.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 10:11:51 am »
Hey Scott-

First of all - really sorry to hear about potential lay off.  Crummy time.

Second, I've been working from home for six years and love it.  I started doing coaching for small businesses, and am now building some online training programs for coaches/consultants.  My advice to anyone would be - identify your passions - what do you LOVE doing?  Next, how can you make money from it?  It's hard to go wrong when you lead with what you love.

Keep us posted, okay?

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 10:59:07 am »
Hi, Scott.
What do you do for work now?  What is your training?  I am an architect and did CADD from home until the latest firm ran out of work.
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 01:30:29 pm »
Hey Scott,
  Good to see ya here.  I was just visiting Anissa at the hospital about an hour ago and was telling her aobut your story.  Seems they had to leavce a tiny bit of the AN on her facial nerve.  How are you doing (other than the job)???  I rarely come on the forum anymore, but was happy to see ya when I did.  Good question about the job thing.  I would love to find something to do from home.  Most everything is some sort of Internet business that don't seem to viable.  I sold real estate for 18 yrs, after my AN surgery I kinda of got put out of work for a while due to the implications of the surgery, and now, well, we all know what's up with Real Estate, besides, I still am somewhat messed up, (balance, vertigo, headpain) so a regular 8-5 is not  possible.  I'll keep an eye on this thread to see if anyone suggests something kool.     May have to have my kneww wrenched on along with my wrist, messed them up falling again, was at the doc near the hospital this am, so worked out well to stop in on Anissa.

Take Care
Patti Ut yootee
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2009, 09:06:36 pm »
I was a web developer before I moved over the the analyst side of it. I did consulting at home for a few years working on websites when I got laid off in 2002.

Cathy
Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
No facial issues, hearing saved, I keep active and feel back to normal.

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 10:08:27 am »
Ive been with the same company for the past 8 years as an Advertising Manager. Basically, I identify, research, plan, negotiate, place and track all advertising for an apartment manangement company. I have a B.A. from Michigan State and majored in Advertising. I'm open to a career change, but am limited because of the obvious AN issues.

Outside of the job stuff, im doing well. The tumor hasn't grown since my 2 surgeries & GK, and they have detected some necrosis, so hopefully its going, going, gone. How is Anissa doing? Gosh, I remember those days right after surgery all to clearly. It seems like so long ago, yet, in a sense, it seems like yesterday.

Thanks for your feedback everyone. I hope you are all doing well!