Author Topic: Metal Removal Update  (Read 3126 times)

hall0602

Metal Removal Update
« on: August 23, 2007, 06:05:32 pm »
Hi! I know shwo people were interested in my surgery to have the metal removed that attached the bone back together after my A.N. It was a very simple procedure it lasted about 2 hours. They put me to sleep and then shaved the area of my head. They used the same scar from the A.N. and re-opened it. The only problem I had was that it was only suppose to be a week recovery and it took me three weeks. I ended up having a soft tissue infection and had to take alot of anti-biotics and steroids. Now one month after surgery I can already tell the diffrence. The area where the metal was i can actually touch w/out intense pain. The headaches are still here but that is still from the surgery and my migraines. In another two months I should have any pain form the surgery. The metal was very small. There were 3 plates and twelve screws. the screws were about the size of pins. I actually was able to keep all the metal it's hard to believe that was all my pain! I have to go in six months for another MRI to keep checking to make sure i have no more tumors but i am hopeful! I hope this helps anyone who has to have this procedure.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Metal Removal Update
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 03:54:06 pm »
hall0602:

Thanks so much ftr the update and informative post.  Although I hope I never need this operation, it was comforting to learn that it isn't traumatic and recovery is fairly rapid.  I'm pleased to read that you're doing so well, now.  I trust things will continue to improve for you.   :) 

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

vcschaub

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 12:06:40 pm »
I posted the following a week or two ago:

"In mid July, I had surgery to remove my hardware (3 mini plates and 6 screws) from my AN surgery. I did not have any trouble with the scar itself but the tissue underneath the scar was tender where the mini plates and screws had been attached. The surgery was done at the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Florida. It was an out patient procedure. My orginal surgery was done by Dr Brackmann at HEI almost 2 years ago (11/05). It is unusual to have the hardware removed and I did consult with Dr Brackmann prior to my decision. He was not sure it would help, but assured me it would not make things worse. My scalp and incision are much better. The tenderness is gone..."

My procedure was done in the same way, small strip shave over old scar, old scar used to open. I was put to sleep but the procedure only took a half hour and I had absolutely no complications such as infection. As I said above, the soreness and tenderness are gone.
6mm
Middle Fossa November 8, 2005
Drs Brackmann and Hitselberger
House Ear

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2007, 02:33:23 pm »
Hall, What was your original surgical approach? Mid fossa? (side of the head?) Did the surgeon who performed your surgery do it? I hope you get some relief from this procedure!

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Janet

• Janet Sherwood Photography
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2007, 10:00:07 pm »
Thanks for the update! I am interested if your headaches improve with more time. I'll look forward to reading about your progress.
Janet
Surgical removal of 1 cm x .8 cm x .6 AN on 4/2004.

Janet

• Janet Sherwood Photography
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 11:26:17 am »
Anybody else try this to help head pain? If you did, was there any change in your headaches or was the relief limited to the area around the plate removal?
Surgical removal of 1 cm x .8 cm x .6 AN on 4/2004.

vcschaub

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2007, 01:19:30 pm »
The pain relief was for the tenderness and specific area where the plates and screws were located. I could feel them through the skin. The soreness is gone. I still get headaches but they are not debilitating and I am not sure they are related to my AN, as I get them on both sides. I sometimes get a specific pain in my right temple, which is my AN side.
6mm
Middle Fossa November 8, 2005
Drs Brackmann and Hitselberger
House Ear