Author Topic: 6 week update ........  (Read 3047 times)

Denisex2boys

6 week update ........
« on: December 02, 2008, 08:35:21 am »
Well, I am 6 weeks out of surgery :)  .... and things are much, much better!  I am getting out for some nice long walks (still have drunken sailor wobble at times) but things are getting better - - SSD on left - but I seem to be hearing very, very faintly on that side at times -which may be a positive sign of things to come.  Still have that 'novacain' feeling on side of mouth, tongue and throat - and have to be careful with chewing since I have no feeling but I am getting used to that now - still can't 'whistle' and the left side of my face is still weaker - but no one really notices unless they really look - - I just wish the inside of my head felt as good as people say I look.  Still numb on the back of the head and the incision is itchy, itchy, itchy!

All the above may not sound all that positive - - but it really is - - I am in such a better place than I was some weeks ago when I had the headaches - - they are under control now but I am still taking Advil - but no more pain pills.

My biggest concern (well, annoyance) is my eye - - if I really, really concentrate - I can close it - - but it perpetually feels like there is sand grit in it, or a stray eyelash -- I have daytime drops (Sandoz Eyelube) but they don't seem to take that 'sting' away - - so I find myself having to use the 'Refresh Lacrilube' - which I hate - as you all well know makes your vision blurry .....  My question is - - should I at this point be seeking the advice of an eye Dr.?  Or can you recommend another daytime drop that may work for me.

I go back to LHSC on the 17th of this month for my post-op - hearing test and to meet with the ENT Surgeon and my Neurosurgeon - - and I am HOPING they give me the GO AHEAD to get my hair colored - - as you ladies know this is a HUGE deal and I am not liking all the new gray hair that has revealed itself - - and it is so dry and icky .........

So, that is the update for now - - please give me some suggestions for the eye issue.......
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 10:01:37 am by Denisex2boys »
- Oct. 16/08 - 12 hour 'blob-ectomy' at LHSC in London, ON - Dr. Lownie and Parnes
- Some internal facial numbness (cheek, tongue, eye), SSD, headaches (getting better), dry eye, some balance issues..... but othwise AWESOME!

Cheryl R

Re: 6 week update ........
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 09:33:25 am »
Celluvisc is a heavier drop but leaves the blurry vision.  Works well for some.     I have had good luck with Refresh Liquigel.  It does have a preservative in the bottle version which has never bothered me.       There could even be a chance you are having a reaction to the one you are using.                  Target only sells a big bottle of the Refresh Liquigel while Walmart has a smaller bottle.         
Good to hear that things are getting better in spite of how it can sound to some.     
                                                       Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 09:43:49 am »
Denise:

Thanks for the update and, despite the relatively minor-but-annoying problems you're dealing with, I can see that it really is positive.  I'm afraid I can't offer any eye care suggestions but Cheryl seems to have given you some.  I'm sure others will follow.  I wish you a great follow-up examination - with hair coloring permission granted by the doctors.  I pray for your continued healing and truly admire your positive outlook.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

texsooner

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 01:27:10 pm »
Denise, I can relate on the eye issues. I'm about a couple of months ahead of you and I had exactly the same problem with my AN side eye. For the first 6 weeks or so I could barely close my eye and it always felt irritated. I used a ton of eye drops and I would basically hold my eye shut a lot during the day. I know this sounds weird, but my wife suggested that I put a heat pack on the closed eye for relief(she put rice in a sock and microwaved it to use as the heatpack). Believe it or not, this felt good on my eye and helped keep the eye moist. 

After about 8 weeks, my eye gradually started to close more and it has really gotten a lot better in the last couple of weeks. I used to put thick eye drops in during the day about 3 times an hour. Now that my AN side eye is closing almost as well as the other eye, I'm down to using drops only about once every 2 hours during the day. I know it's easy for me to say now, but if your facial function is improving(and you can blink) the dry eye will likely follow suit with improved function. You couldn't have convinced me of this several weeks ago, but I'm living proof that improvement does slowly happen.

As far as eye drops, I found Refresh Celluvisc(non preservative) worked the best for me. I've also used the ointment while sleeping since my surgery and have now recently gone a few nights without using this successfully.  Hope this helps.

Patrick
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 01:28:59 pm by texsooner »
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 04:32:32 pm »
I use the same drops as Patrick - I've found that they work the best for me and I don't have to put them in every 5 minutes!  I have the little single use packets everywhere - car, house, office, purse, etc.  As Cheryl pointed out, the Cellusvis is pretty thick, but I really like it the best of everything I've tried. I also use lacrilube or puralube or Refresh PM at night - it's really gummy and interferes with my vision so I don't like to use it during the day unless I absolutley have to.

The good news is that apparently have feeling in your eye so you'll know when it is getting dry.  If it continues, you may want to see an opthalmologist.  I have been several times, most recently to get a punctal plug (which it doesn't sound like you need!)

I am glad to hear that your recovery is going well, Denise.  And I totally relate to your comment about being eager to get your hair colored - that was a BANNER day for me!  The anesthesia and drugs really wreak havoc with your hair.

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com