Author Topic: quick one  (Read 7336 times)

Lorenzo

quick one
« on: January 27, 2008, 11:53:59 pm »
Hi All, 

I've been away from the forum for quite a while now, first due to a long trip to the US, then on my return I decided to follow up on my White Coat Hypertensive incident, which, as it turns out, was anything but that. I have now high blood pressure! I guess I had one espresso that must have tipped the balance!  lol  So been busy with that and dealing with it, making changes and so on.

But, other than that, things seem to be fine. AN is as dead as the Dodo, and that feels good. Of course, not everything is rosy, as I found out when I went back to work and had a mini-meltdown due to noise level at college. So I have to deal with that one too and get a special tutorial room sorted out so I can work.  Not sure that'll work.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know that things are fine, live goes on, and that I plan to return here a little more again, now that the routine has returned.

Ciao

Lorenzo
CK, Stanford, Drs Chang and Hancock, Dec 04,
doing great now.

sgerrard

Re: quick one
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 12:52:39 am »
Well welcome back, Lorenzo.

I am sorry to hear about the BP, but somehow it seems like an ordinary "normal" person kind of medical issue that "regular" people get. Nothing exotic about it at all. So you can take it as a sign that you are back to being a regular normal person, subject to the usual and ordinary trials and tribulations of life. Except for the hearing issue and tinnitus, of course, which will remind you from time to time of where you really belong.

Does this mean no more espresso? That would be a loss. Can you get ear plugs to help manage the room noise?

Happy 2008.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Lorenzo

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 05:20:07 am »
Happy New Year to you to Steve! :)

Apologies, I didn't mean to imply that my blood pressure problem was connected to my AN. I have no idea one way or the other. It's pretty normal thing to get I guess, so many people do. I'll just have to change my life a little.

As for being normal, hearing and tinnitus, yes, they remind us regularly where we are. So did the noise induced anxiety issue I had last week. I guess if I needed any reminding that this does not just go away, that was it. Sobering reminder, and a somewhat depressing one at that. 'Normal' after all, regardless of how I might feel, does not mean normal at all. I had forgotten.

Espresso. Well, it is a loss, and a big one for me. I'll see, I have not given up hope to be able to drink decaf espressi anyway. Trial period for now, no coffee at all.

Unfortunately ear plugs in a tutorial / lecturing situation do not work. Only silence, and one-on-one tutoring can solve the problem. Looking into changing my working conditions here. Have to, or the only other option is to leave.

Big year ahead.   :)  Hope you're doing well.

Ciao

Lorenzo
doing great now.

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 06:05:29 am »
Welcome Back ,Lorenzo!
You have been missed.  Figured you were resting up from your trip and all of the great news!  Many friends who have high blood pressure have told me that it is easy to control with diet and life style changes.  I have low blood pressure, so I have to do jumping jacks before I get mine checked! lol.  Glad to have you back! 
We are throwing beads in Texas right now, so here's a Happy Mardi Gra to you ::)
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Lorenzo

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 06:25:01 am »
Thanks Brenda!

Rested up alright, and a few other things too!  lol Yes, life style change wiil help, more walking, less eating, and so on. sigh. No that I overeat mind you... I don't think..

throwing beads? As that what one does during Mardi Gras? I should even use that word, gras, might up my BP!  lol

have fun. good to be back.

Ciao, Lorenzo
doing great now.

Static

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 07:09:34 am »
Lorenzo,
We've missed you!  You came to the States and didn't come visit anyone?  That's just wrong!  Glad to hear you are doing ok!  I'm in the same boat as you as my doctor has been telling me that we have to do something about my blood pressure.  My BP has always been good or on the lower side, then all of the sudden it started on the upper end and he's not happy about it.  I keep telling him I get stressed too easily.  I hope things work out for you in your job, that always seems to be the culprit, doesn't it?  Anyway, glad you're back and take care of yourself!
~Karen
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

Lorenzo

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 09:43:59 am »
HI Karen,

:)  Shhhhhh... I did visit a few...   lol

So you suddenly have BP problem too? I wonder. Work works me up to the point of having had to take sick leave for a month last year. The thing is, do we get stressed too easily and get high blood pressure, or is it BECAUSE we have high blood pressure that we get stressed easily? One thing the doc said is to cut back on stress. Right. What he didn't tell me was how exactly I'm supposed to do that.  lol  I found two options, both of which involve not getting so involved in the work situation. We'll see how it goes.

Good to be back here Karen, nice to see you. Mind yourself.

Ciao, Lorenzo  :)
doing great now.

lori67

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 12:01:11 pm »
Well, once again, I seem to do things the opposite way of everyone else - I had high BP before the AN surgery and now it's normal to a little low.

So, Lorenzo, I will gladly take on the task of drinking the espresso in your honor.  It's a dirty job, but someone has to do it.  And speaking of dirty jobs, throwing beads is just one of the things that goes on at Mardi Gras!   :o

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Kaybo

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 12:46:49 pm »
Yeah, I didn't learn about anything BUT throwing beads until a couple of years ago when I wore beads at school and my principal ask me if I got one of those everytime I flashed my ****s!!!!!!!!??????????!!!!!!!!!!!  Oh my...
Lori~  I think I need to drink some of the espresso too -- you don't get it all!!!  :o)
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

lori67

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2008, 12:55:41 pm »
K - I don't know - you'll be too busy flashing - you don't want to spill any!   ;D
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Kaybo

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2008, 01:33:21 pm »
I can multi-task -- I wouldn't spill a drop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2008, 05:21:12 pm »
Hi there Lorenzo:   I discovered I had high BP after surgery (too).   Don't know if it would have happened anyway (age, family history, etc) or not.
I've been on antihypertensive & that did the trick.   Sorry about the espresso.....

I had gotten a doctor's note to excuse me from large meetings.   As it's not imperative that I attend these mtgs., I find out what went on from coworkers.
If that would be doable in your situation, I recommend it as single sided deafness is a disability as far as I'm concerned, & here in the states employers
have to make reasonable allowances for this.

Okay buddy,  glad your back!!     Always good thoughts,    Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Static

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2008, 06:01:55 pm »
Nancy,
What kind of meds are antihypertensive?  I'm just wondering what my doc might want to do with me next?
~Karen
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2008, 06:29:28 pm »
Hi Karen:  Antihypertensives is a broad name for the different classifications of meds that lower the blood pressure. 
Examples would be beta blockers, diuretics, etc. (can't think of the others right now - geez louise...).
  If your doc feels things like diet change, lifestyle change (like meditating to decrease stress, 'quit smoking' - my problem), exercise aren't enough to lower your BP,
he/she may want to try one or another of these drugs.

Too bad we can't be given a prescription for a 2 week vacation of our choice (imagine the insurance company paying for that!).
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Lorenzo

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2008, 07:19:18 am »
wow, looks like I started something here, a thread about bead throwing! Now, remember, yer talking to an ignorant European who has never thrown a single bead in his life. So, WHAT exactly are you talking about??? :)

As for the espresso drinking by proxy, thanks. I shall try and imagine that. In the meantime, I think I will find out if I can still drink decaf. Otherwise my days as a serial espresso drinker are over! I guess I had a good run at it, maybe it's time to pass the torch. Lori, you've got the right name, so it's up to you now! :)

Hi Nancy, good to see you. Unfortunately it's not meetings that are the problem, I avoid those like the plague anyway if I can getaway with it. The problem is more one of working in a class room / studio situation, with 30 students, most of whom are talking, simultaniously, as young people do in general. NOT a good place to be. Then there's the staff canteen which I won't go to, or the student canteen which makes the staff one sound like a church during service, and the lobby, which I have to traverse with my ears plugged.

I think I just get a note from my doctor to excuse me from the work place. Might be easier than negotiating the various auditory obstacles.

The drug I'm on now i caleld something like LINISOPRIL; I'm not good withd rug's names. Low dose ACE inhibitor, whatever that is. I'll find out more once I havea  chance.

Ciao, Lorenzo
doing great now.