Author Topic: Non AN ear feels blocked - freaking out!  (Read 4978 times)

jockieau

Non AN ear feels blocked - freaking out!
« on: March 02, 2011, 01:47:10 am »
I'm going to see the GP tomorrow but I'm feeling a bit frantic as over the past few days my non-AN ear feels more blocked than my AN ear (fullness in the AN ear was my presenting symptom).

My MRI in November last year diidn't show an AN on that side, so I am worried what might be causing it!  I feel like everything is getting worse (my balance, feeling in my head).  Does anyone have any ideas what it could be or if it has happened to them?  Does anyone have tinnitus in the non AN ear???

My AN is 8mm x 6mm x 5mm (or it was last November!!!).

My hearing is, according to my test in January, fine (although slightly poorer in the non--AN ear).

I feel like I'm falling apart!

Jockieau
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 01:50:43 am by jockieau »

Suu

• Better out than in.
Re: Non AN ear feels blocked - freaking out!
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 03:23:57 am »
Jockieau - Deep breaths in and out. In through the nose and out through the mouth 3 times.

Sometimes it can be due to change of weather or even driving.  Have you tried 'equalizing' by holding your nose, keeping mouth closed, and blowing gently to "pop" it?

I have tinnitus in both ears even though I don't have an eardrum or inner ear on the AN side.

You've come to the right place so don't fall apart.  It wouldn't be a good look  :)

Hugs,
Suu
4cm Left side AN Translab August 18th 2010
Facial nerve not working
Nerve conduction Jan '11 Repeated 23rd May '11
SSD left side
5 ops in 6 weeks to fix CSF leaks
Tarsorrhaphy 9 Mar '11 Extended 26 Aug '13
Sling Thur 16 June '11
12/7 nerve graft 9 Feb '12

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 06:47:46 am »
Jockieau ..... like Suu said, take a deep breath .....

The possibility of having another AN on the other side is extremely rare.  If it does happen to someone, it usually is because they are NF2, which is most often a genetically passed on condition.

Suu made a good suggestion to try.

Remember, anxiety can increase a small symptom to a big one so do really try to relax.  Not all symptoms after we know we have an AN are caused by it ...... but oh, it is so hard to separate it all out when we are overwhelmed.  Hopefully your GP will be able to reassure you and treat the stuffy ears.  How well I can remember the day I was first given the diagnosis, I suddenly had severe ear pain in my AN ear only that I had not had before.  My doctor gave me some drops, but now I seriously doubt if there was anything new going on in my external ear canal.

And, yes, I now have tinnitus in both ears ..... although much louder on the AN side ..... and I only have an AN on one side and perfect hearing in my non-AN side.

Hang in there and keep posting and let us know how you are doing ..... and what your doctor says.

Many thoughts and prayers.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

kenneth_k

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 07:47:42 am »
Hi Jockieau.

I'm sure your GP will help you.

I also have tinnitus in both ears and I definitely had only one AN. Hope that helps a bit.

Kenneth

Cheryl R

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 07:47:53 am »
Are you feeling like maybe having some sinus issues?     You could try taking an over the counter decongestant and see if that helps.
That might be what your dr tells you to try.             It is nervewracking once we know that we have the AN and what we feel later is AN related.               Hope you feel better soon.                       Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

jdunavan

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 08:50:05 am »
Yeah, i don't know where you live, but here in Georgia, the pollen has hit hard.  Seems like everyone is feeling it in their ears and head because of the pollen and weather.  Take a few deep breathes (inside away from the pollen) and talk to your doctor.
Joanne
Joanne
1.4 cm in right ear

moe

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 11:32:27 am »
Hopefully allergies, and nothing worse.

I can relate to getting a little over reactive to new and different symptoms on the un AN side :o
This is normal :) I think we have all done it.

Let us know what the GP says.
Moe
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

jockieau

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 04:18:50 am »
Thank you to all you lovely people who have replied to me.  I feel like I'm going through a bit of a mad phase at the moment! I really feel a bit bonkers.  My GP was sick today so I didn't get to see her, but I have calmed down a bit.  Now have to wait until the 24th to see her (she only works two days a week).

I have lots of stuff whirring through my head and my absolute goal is to COME UP WITH THE PLAN.  I'm not there yet.  I'm sure for those of you who had the time to come up with a plan know what I mean - each option comes with risks.  I know I am anxious - people talk to me and I find I can't even concentrate on what they are saying - my mind is elsewhere.  It's almost becoming boring.  I just want to know what I am going to do, and get on with it.  Still some research to do.  I will keep you all posted.  The thing is, I very much appreciate your words of support, thank you so much (and I know how lucky I am, things could be sooooo much worse.  Nevertheless, this is MY reality at the moment).

Thanks all!
Jockieau

moe

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 10:27:37 am »
Jockieau,
Hang in there. It's hard to hear what's going on around you when you feel so overwhelmed with your situation. I understand that too! Even now,my tinnitus can get so bad, sometimes my lovely educated husband will try to enlighten me, and it just goes right through...other people too.....

It's OK and perfectly acceptable to seek a little help with antidepressant/anti anxiety as you try to figure this whole thing out. Maybe mention when you go to your GP. It will help tremendously (speaking from experience :P )

Your AN is small, and that is so frustrating- all those options. The only good thing about my med-lg booger was I knew that surgery was the option, and started planning right away.
Keep truckn ;)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

pfmarquez

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 12:51:38 pm »
I'm feeling similar symptoms with my non-AN ear -- I had surgery to remove a 2.5cm tumor on my right ear.  About a week ago, I started having stuffy ear issues, went to the ENT to do a hearing test, and it showed some hearing loss on high and low frequencies.  I am going out of my mind, especially, with the death of my father roughly 5 days ago.  Dealing with both depression and anxiety has taken its toll.  I plan on doing an ABR test on Tuesday, and am pushing for an MRI asap. 

Let me know what you find out -- I can't possibly accept that I may have to go through that life changing experience again (and possible deafness).

I know what you are going through --

Cheryl R

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 05:18:42 pm »
Have tried being on decongestants to see if that helps the ear fullness?            In the rare chance that you do have a tumor on that side, automatic deafness is not a certain happening.       You would then need to see a neurotologist who has lots of experience with NF2.  NF2 is when one has tumors on both sides and is only 5% of ANs.      How to proceed with ones individual case depends on tumor size and location.         One can have surgery which keeps the hearing and removes the tumor.  Some drs believe in radiation and some don't with NF2 patients.            I speak of all this due to my having NF2 and 3 tumors and surgery on both sides.       I go to the Univ of Iowa and my last surgery in 2008 did bring my hearing back to better then what it was before.   I was near completely deaf.     It is not common for the hearing to improve past mid fossa but mine did. Many retain it at the level it was pre op.  I was going to have a cochlear implant a month later but it was not needed.       I am already deaf on the rt and this was on the left side.         HEI in LA say they have a 75% success rate of saving hearing in ANs under 1.5.            So there are no guarantees ever but there is a chance ones hearing can be saved in some.     My Iowa City dr is not for radiation but some are and the choice is yours too as one can several opinions with NF2 experienced drs what is the best chance for your own case.     I wish you well and having this worry about is not easy with what else has been going on for you now.                 Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Cynaburst

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2011, 12:47:17 pm »
I just want to join in here and say that you are not alone in your anxiety and a certain amount of it goes along with the territory.  I am 9 years post op for a 3+ cm. AN on the right which caused hydrocephalus and I now have a VP shunt.   The whole tumor was removed, but in the last 6 months, I have been having some issues with my L good ear.  First I was having some distorted hearing and hyperacusis about 6 months ago, while I have lately been having some wonky head issues and feeling just a little dizzy/out of sorts.

To compound things, I also have a pacemaker/defibrillator, so I can't have an MRI.  I am now scheduled for CTs with and without contrast to check for hydrocephalus and to check my ear canals for tumor regrowth or possible tumor on good side.

I know and understand how unsettling this is.  I will just reiterate that the chances of it being NF2 (i.e. a tumor on the other side) are extremely remote.  Hopefully we will both find out that it is something else and not NF2.  I saw the neurologist the other day and he reminded me that my one nerve is susceptible to feeling any sort of change or insult to my balance system, so I shouldn't run to the bad assumption that it is another tumor, though of course it is hard not to worry.

Let's keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best.  Let us know how it turns out.

nftwoed

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2011, 07:57:03 pm »
I'm going to see the GP tomorrow but I'm feeling a bit frantic as over the past few days my non-AN ear feels more blocked than my AN ear (fullness in the AN ear was my presenting symptom).

My MRI in November last year diidn't show an AN on that side, so I am worried what might be causing it!  I feel like everything is getting worse (my balance, feeling in my head).  Does anyone have any ideas what it could be or if it has happened to them?  Does anyone have tinnitus in the non AN ear???

My AN is 8mm x 6mm x 5mm (or it was last November!!!).

My hearing is, according to my test in January, fine (although slightly poorer in the non--AN ear).

I feel like I'm falling apart!

Jockieau;

I wonder; It seems too soon for another tumor with symptoms.
  Re, that feeling of aural fullness and a slightly lower audiogram the good side, I will venture a guess...
  Either the hearing loss is sympathetic, or, you've Eustachian tube open/closure problems.
  A closed ET will drag hearing down about 6 dB. and leave you with aural fullness.
  Your AN was small. It's only been a year. The surgical experience is almost always traumatic.
  As per others, take a breath maybe? It could be the sinus also as Cheryl mentioned, but please do relax a little.
  Best wishes always, Jockieau!