Author Topic: Balance issues after GK  (Read 9731 times)

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
Re: Balance issues after GK
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2009, 03:43:58 pm »
That all makes sense mk.Thanks for the info.Also thanks for chirping in Phyl.Steve, you are right about the amount of time.The doc said the same thing as you did....if I lost a lot over night.Mine has been gradual.I think you live in Oregon, Steve, so you have those pretty streams there also like we do in CO.I'll just sit down on the log and inch my way across little by little.Nothing is going to keep me out of the mountains or away from the cool water in the streams.

Went into Pier One today, and it was really hard getting around all of the stuff in there.I had to be really careful.I have noticed that I get dizzy the most when I am at the grocery store going down the aisles or walking down a long hallway.Other than that I don't really experience much dizziness.A couple of times I have felt like fainting, but I'm not sure if this is related to balance issues.Might be associated with the fibromyalgia that I was diagnosed with in January.

I am going to wait on that injection hoping that my nerve will figure things out.I feel confident that it will.I do not want to do anything that will affect my hearing unless I just absolutely have to.My doc isn't pushing it....just laid it out there as an option just in case the balance issues don't resolve.I was surprised that he didn't think vestibular therapy would be an effective option.

OK, I'll be tripping off (I mean signing off) until next time!!!

Nancy ::)
12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2009, 04:01:20 pm »
Nancy,

It's been such a long time ago...I'd have to look it up in my copy of my medical records to find the name of the tests...  It was done while I was still in the military.  But is is documented that I have a 90% loss of balance in my left ear. 
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

Cheryl R

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2009, 04:04:55 pm »
Nancy, just keep on with your walking even in the places where it feels the worse.        Several of us went to the balance session at the symposium and  the dr mentioned their website    www.dizziness-and-balance.com             I just looked at it and can't say it is real specific to give you better answers for more help.      A radiation patient is not talked about a great deal.        I do know we learned that the balance issue can be long lasting with any treatment.               Good luck with how it goes for you.
                                                             Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Nancy Drew

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2009, 04:19:17 pm »
Thanks GM.  I think the doctor said something about the water and air procedures they did in my ear.  I didn't do very good on that protion of the test (caloric test, I think is what it is called).And, thanks Cheryl for that website.  I will check it out.

P.S.  ANA, thanks for the spell check.  Maybe you can get grammar check next!
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08

Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

Susie Q

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2009, 04:25:46 pm »
GM,
Interesting balance tests. Mine's about the same after FSR 9 years ago. It has gotten some better. Sometimes I can even do tree pose in yoga! Sometimes. I still have the door jam problem sometimes. I think the problem is staying within boundries. People just laugh at me. They don't know what's wrong.The weather does affect my balance on a given day.

Vivian B.

« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2009, 06:55:09 am »
Hi Nancy,

I just caught your posts. I have not been treated yet but I have already lost 49% of my balance nerve. Like MK, it happened so gradually that the other side compensated. I agree with Marianna in  your case, the process was accelerated due to the treatment, as the radiation does destroy the area and nerves at the same time and that's why you are experiencing balance issues. The other side should compensate overtime. Although, it is a matter of adjusting. I find I get very dizzy in a mall , when looking down or when turning quickly. I find that I am walking a bit slower than  I used to and I am not as agile as I used to be as I feel I tend to lean sideways when I try and do something too quickly.. You will get used to it and probably won't feel it as much later on. I find when I am stressed out about something I feel my balance is off even more. The fun of having this intruder! Hang in there.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

Nancy Drew

« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2009, 08:35:53 pm »
Nice hearing from you Vivian...especially since this is an older post of mine.  I have seen so much improvement since I first posted.  I started vestibular therapy about three months ago, and it has helped tremendously.  In fact, at my last visit a week ago my PT said to come back as needed.  I was evaluated by a vision therapist about a month ago (recommended by PT), and it showed that I have something called convergence insufficiency and pursuits and saccades.  It is probably something I have had for a long time that has never been picked up in a routine eye exam.  I was prescribed regular and reading glasses with prisms to correct the tracking problems that might also be affecting my balance.  Since I have never worn glasses, it has been a real challenge getting use to them.  At the end of the day, my eyes are exhausted....but this is normal because my eyes are going through a training process.  I think the glasses are helping, and the fact that my balance has improved greatly over the past few weeks must mean something good is going on.  Once I started having some little successes, it seems I started to settle down and accept that the balance issues are just a challenge...and I love a challenge.  It is so nice to be able to write something positive here on the board.  I was pretty discouraged and depressed when the balance issues came to light.  I am also learning to be easier on myself since I think some of the stuff related to balance might just be a "normal" thing.  Like, my brother-in-law missed a step on our stairs and almost fell.  Made me feel totally "normal", and I almost applauded him!!!

Nancy
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08

Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs