Author Topic: SIZE dictates treatment options?  (Read 7905 times)

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: SIZE dictates treatment options?
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2009, 11:42:43 am »
Rob .....

Thanks for stating this.  I have long known that size and location of an AN need to be determining factors in treatment selection.  However, I had given little thought to the thickness/thinness of the tumor with regards to radiation.

Mine was apparently a relatively thin one but because of the speed of its growth, I was advised to go the surgical route.  If I ever have to deal with regrowth, I will store this great piece of information.

Thanks.  Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2009, 07:30:24 pm »
smallsucker aka bigsucker -

glad to hear the surgery went beautifully  ;D and loved the AN humor (very nice rhyme).

Sorry I can't give you advice about the hiccups, but I'd give Grega's suggestion a try.

jAN
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

moe

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2009, 11:21:06 am »
Smallsucker,
Hey I like the sig! So glad to hear the surgery went well. Did you post anywhere else on post op? Any problems, questions?
Sounds like you are doing awesome for nine + days post op!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

jean

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2009, 08:33:50 am »
I have a reoccuring an, about 2cm give or take the question is surgery or the cyberknife? My previous an was removed 14 years ago when surgery was the only way to go and as a result I have total loss of hearing and facial paralysis. the thing is they said then that the tumor was the size of a dime and then after removal said it was the size of a quarter. Now they say 2cm and cyberknife, but are they sure of the size. The first time I had all the same tests MRI, Ct scan with dye. So I have my doubts.  I have a 2nd neuo appt. tomorrow. Jean

sgerrard

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2009, 09:32:58 am »
I have a reoccuring an, about 2cm give or take the question is surgery or the cyberknife? My previous an was removed 14 years ago when surgery was the only way to go and as a result I have total loss of hearing and facial paralysis. the thing is they said then that the tumor was the size of a dime and then after removal said it was the size of a quarter. Now they say 2cm and cyberknife, but are they sure of the size. The first time I had all the same tests MRI, Ct scan with dye. So I have my doubts.  I have a 2nd neuo appt. tomorrow. Jean

Jean, the MRI's today are generally better quality than 14 years ago, so they should be more reliable. But we have had cases on the forum where the size at surgery was significantly larger than at diagnosis. How much time passed from MRI to surgery in your case?

When I had CK, they did another MRI the day before treatment. This is routine I think, since they use it to map the radiation treatment. If it was suddenly too large for CK, I am sure they would tell you and call off the treatment.

Good luck with your appointment.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

mk

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2009, 10:09:49 am »
For my AN, depending on who does the measurement I have heard sizes ranging from 2.4 cm (according to the radiologist report), to a whopping 3.5 cm (from one of the doctors  I consulted with). In a separate thread Tumbleweed posted a very nice explanation about how the measurements  can vary, depending on if they are taken on an oblique angle, etc. Also, some doctors report the largest dimension (including the tiny portion in the IAC) and some only report the true diameter of the approximately spherical portion in the CPA. In my opinion this is the explanation for the big discrepancies reported on the MRI and after surgical removal: For example the radiologist may report only the diameter of the spherical portion, and upon removal the surgeon reports the largest dimension, which can easily be 0.5-1 cm longer.

After all this I am convinced that the most reliable way to be sure is to look at my own scans and compare my own measurements to the previous ones.

My understanding is that for radiation, the only dimension that matters is the diameter of the spherical portion, as this determines the total volume that must be radiated.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.