Author Topic: How long - post surgery cobwebs  (Read 4174 times)

anissa

• My Journey
How long - post surgery cobwebs
« on: April 10, 2009, 09:43:19 pm »
Hey folks!  Just wanted to post about my recovery so far and see if I'm "normal" whatever that is, ha ha.

I am still dizzy all day.  My best daytime hours are from about 9-4 (getting longer!) where I can get around, I feel good but I still rest a lot.  Trying to spend time on the treadmill, nothing exciting 15 min. slow but its something.  My head still throbs when I get tired with what feels like my heartbeat pulsing in my ears.  Lots of pressure in my AN ear.  Up until today I was still taking pain meds every 4 hours, today I replaced one pain pill with motrin and that seems to work fine.  I look forward to phasing out the pain meds. 

How long did the dizziness last for you?  I can get around just fine, its not debilitating just frustrating like it takes every bit of concentration to focus, especially when I'm tired.  I assume its normal, just wondering if it should be gone by now.  I guess thats my biggest complaint, I just can't seem to shake the cobwebs out!
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: How long - post surgery cobwebs
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 10:51:34 pm »
Anissa:  You're doing so much better than I was being less than 2 weeks out !
My only suggestion is to make sure you're drinking enough water, staying hydrated.
That may help to decrease the pulsing (when I get pulsing I know I'm dehydrated).

Continued healing my friend,  remember,  you just had major surgery,
REST, REST, REST...
Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

joebloggs

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 11:12:27 pm »
I still get a bit dizzy 4 weeks out... balance still has a way to go.  Sounds like you're on track... I think the body heals itself really fast and you kind of go wow I can't believe I'm out of hospital etc, but then all of a sudden with the balance and dizziness it takes ages to sort out.  Sounds like you're doing the right things though... a little bit of exercise and a lot of rest.  It's frustrating but we'll get there!
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 05:16:58 am »
Hi Anissa,
You are right on track!  Remember, it's only been a short time since surgery....
Best,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

nteeman

• Back to Mono
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 06:43:48 am »
I remember that for me after two weeks I tried to do too much and really needed to rest more -- so my advice is  do not resist the urge to rest, take as many naps as you can. Rest is good.

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

Lilan

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 07:58:22 am »
Anissa, not to minimize your complaint, but I am so thrilled to hear that this is your report just 11 days after surgery!!  :D  Tapering off pain meds, feeling good much of the day, hitting the treadmill....

You are doing amazing! (Easy for me to say though, right?)

Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 08:02:32 am »
How long did the dizziness last for you?  I can get around just fine, its not debilitating just frustrating like it takes every bit of concentration to focus, especially when I'm tired.  I assume its normal, just wondering if it should be gone by now.  I guess thats my biggest complaint, I just can't seem to shake the cobwebs out!

I never had what I'd call "dizziness", if you're talking spinning room dizzy. I delt with inbalance and I'm kind of thinking that's what you are experiencing, too. You're not even 2 weeks out of surgery, are you? Sounds pretty right on track to me.  :D

I'm at 7 1/2 months now, and when I get tired I STILL deal with cobwebs. That's a good way to put it, better than the "foggy" explaination I was saying. Although I do have to say that the cobwebs aren't as thick, come less often and when they are there, no one else can tell it -- just me...AND the AN side of my head will feel a bit tighter, too.

This last week I went on a business trip (first once since my surgery). I was tired and it was a bit of a challenge at times, but I've also gotten to the point where if I just don't think about it and concentrate on what I"m doing at work, that seems to help me, too. Soooo.....hopefully that helps answer your question a little bit.

Cathy
Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
No facial issues, hearing saved, I keep active and feel back to normal.

Keri

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 11:41:07 am »
Hi Anissa,
I think you're doing great. I think some exercise is helpful with the dizziness - good for you for trying the treadmill. If I were on a treadmill I'd be afraid I couldn't stop it if I needed to! I found that slow slow running / walking helped me starting at about 3 weeks out. I always felt lousy at first, but just getting everything moving seemed to help my dizziness, my outlook, headaches, etc.  I never felt totally 'the room is spinning dizzy' but rather, feel kind of tipsy (being tired an the environment I'm in impacts that feeling as well). I'm 9 or so weeks post op, and I still feel tipsy at times. Sometimes it's kind of fun!  My brain still feels cobwebbish at times too.

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2009, 01:53:24 pm »
Anissa -

sounds to me like you're pushing things a little.  I'm not a doctor, but I have had AN surgery  ;)

Patience is key, and overdoing it will come back to haunt you in the end.

Most docs say that recovery takes 4 - 6 weeks and IMO that's a pretty good estimate.

Some "effects" of the surgery last longer though, so hang in there.  Rome wasn't built in a day!

Jan 
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2009, 03:40:54 pm »
Anissa ~

I agree with the general consensus here that thinks you're doing remarkably well at less than 2 weeks, post-op.  My immediate post-op recovery experience was that I wasn't necessary 'dizzy' but it took some effort to maintain my balance and I wasn't always 100% successful, although I never fell - but I did come perilously close, once or twice.  That kind of effort can be mentally tiring.  If you don't have a set-back, which can come from over-exertion, another month or so should see you gaining strength and getting much closer to normal.  As Jan accurately stated: "patience is key"  to a good recovery.   Don't worry, you'll get there - and sooner than you think.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2009, 01:44:36 am »
Anissa:

I'm 10 months post-op and still get dizzy if I turn my head too fast, like when I drive.  Even when I go for my daily walks, I still have trouble turning my head without getting dizzy and losing my balance. Still sleep with a night light to help my balance when I get up to go to the bathroom. The "wonky headedness" is still an issue, esp. when I'm tired.

Give it time.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2009, 07:07:02 am »
Well, I'm almost 9 months out and am still recovering. The cobwebs are mostly gone but when I'm tired they do return (age? :o) but I'm okay with that. I try to remind myself that my tumor probably took years to grow so it makes sense that it will take some time to get back to normal, whatever that is.  So, be patient, don't overdo, and give yourself permission to take a reasonable amount of time to recover.  I still maintain that you are doing great!
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

MikeS

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2009, 07:38:45 am »
anissa, i'm a few weeks ahead of you (retro-sig on 3/17).  i'm getting as antsy as you and walk 2-3 miles a day to get the blood pumping.  also getting as frustrated as i continue to have pulsing headaches and pressure in my AN ear.  sleeping and getting up in the morning is by far my hardest time.  i wake up in significant pain (in my head) and it takes a while to come out of the haze.  also trying to ween the meds as i hate taking anything other than a multi-vitamin. 

like everyone, i try to do too much, get knocked down and remind myself to take it easy.  this is a humbling experience and frustrating at times but i keep telling myself i'm very fortunate to be where i am and each day is a tiny step forward.  best of luck in the recovery and take it easy.
19mm AN, left side
diagnosed Jan '09