Author Topic: What are Questions for the radiation oncologist?  (Read 3278 times)

claire1

What are Questions for the radiation oncologist?
« on: April 03, 2008, 08:20:05 pm »
Hi
#1) I'll be seeing the radiation oncologist next week and other that the obvious questions, need your input on those that have slipped my mind.
#2) How do you check the liscence of one?
#3) What questions have you asked that I can ask since you've already been through it.
Thanks ahead of time
ClaireA

Kate B

• AN World
Re: What are Questions for the radiation oncologist?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 08:32:55 pm »
Hi Claire,

Here is a list of questions that you can print out.  Focus on the section about radiation and cross out the rest.
http://anworld.com/questions/

Kate
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

sgerrard

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 10:23:32 pm »
Hi Claire,

That list at Kate's link has lots of good questions.

I am amused at the idea of asking what version of treatment planning software they use; what sort of answer might you get?  "Oh, we are using Microsoft Radiation 2007", or perhaps something like "RADFactor 5.6". Um, okay.  :D

I'm curious which questions you consider are the obvious ones. I think my advice would be to try and ask the questions that you will care about the most later, as you think it all over and try to make a decision. Things like: Is this going to work? Have you done this before? What sort of post-treatment symptoms will I get, and for how long? Can I drive home, or should someone pick me up?

Technical questions may not help much, if you are not prepared to make sense of the answers. The practical questions are the ones that bring it home to you. Can you picture yourself doing this treatment? What would it take to make you feel it is a good choice, and that you are comfortable with it?

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

goinbatty

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 07:46:54 am »
So true.  I'm a nurse and find that I perpetually try to over analyze everything.  I finally had to give up trying to understand the minute details and just focused on how many AN's the facility had dealt with, effectiveness compared to different surgical procedures, long term outcomes, post-procedure complications, etc.  Before choosing which facility for CK, I contacted at least 6.  Ended up driving 8 hrs for treatment rather than receiving it locally.  Good luck and keep us updated.
Sandra
1/2007 - 6 x 4.5 mm AN
8/2007 - 9 x 6 mm
CK at Georgetown 1/7/08-1/11/08; Dr. Gagnon
3/2008 - 10 x 7 mm
7/2008 - 9 x 10 x 6 mm (NECROTIC CENTER!!!!!)
5/2009 - no change/stable
4/2010 - 10 x 7 x 6 mm; stable/no change
5/2011 - 10 x 7; stable/no change
6/2012 - 8.1 x 7 mm
4/2014 - stable/no change

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 06:40:52 pm »
Find out if they plan on giving you steroids and ask if it's okay to use any sleeping aids while you are on steroids.  Decadron has the nasty side effect of insomnia. It was a long, miserable week for me.  I didn't take any sleeping pill, and I don't know if doctors will allow it.  But, ask anyway.  2 hours of sleep at night for 4 or 5 nights is horrible.

Good luck,

Sue in Vancouver
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Elizabeth Roberts

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 05:15:19 pm »
Ask them what their meaning of "hearing preservation" is. Some interpret that as being 'any' hearing at all whether discernable or not. You want to know how well they've preserved 'servicable' hearing in their radiation patients.

Elizabeth
1 cm. right-sided AN
Onset symptom - constant dizziness
Treatment: 2004, UF-Gainesville, LINAC, no side effects
2009 MRI shows tumor is shrinking

claire1

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 10:11:40 pm »
Hi

Thank You all for your input. I see Dr Brady, He wrote the radiation text being used, tomorrow.

STEVE;  I agree.  I know he can talk circles around me if I were to ask "What program he uses and why."  I wouldn't know the difference if it were spelled out.  That's until I do MORE research on that subject. (then I'll have to buy and read his radiation text.) 

There comes a time that you need to, yup,TRUST that the people you choose to do radiation or surgery on your brain knows exactly what their doing. THAT"S where all the studing comes in.  Check them out thoroughly.( ie background check is easily done on the p.c. now a days)
I'm very anxious in meeting him and hear what he has to say.  Hopefully I'll learn something. I'm sure I will.

At the end of the day you need to feel comforable with the INFORMED decision you made for yourself and forget what everyone thinks you should do..  See everyone, I really do listen and take in that of which can help me. Thanks

Research....reasde  oops (keyboard overload) research...Research

Take Care
Claire

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 06:18:04 am »
No truer words, claire! :)  And one last thing..... trust your gut as well!  All decisions, regardless of decision, is the best one you can make at the time for your particular situation... and never 2nd guess your decision.

Phyl

There comes a time that you need to, yup,TRUST that the people you choose to do radiation or surgery on your brain knows exactly what their doing. THAT"S where all the studing comes in.  Check them out thoroughly.( ie background check is easily done on the p.c. now a days)
I'm very anxious in meeting him and hear what he has to say.  Hopefully I'll learn something. I'm sure I will.

At the end of the day you need to feel comforable with the INFORMED decision you made for yourself and forget what everyone thinks you should do..  See everyone, I really do listen and take in that of which can help me. Thanks

Research....reasde  oops (keyboard overload) research...Research

Take Care
Claire

"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 07:08:39 pm »
Hey Sue,

Thanks for the info about Decadron.  Someone told me that was an option instead of using prednisone, and I was not aware of the side effect of insomnia with the Decadron.  I can't take prednisone because it disturbs my bipolar disorder.  I take sleeping pills for insomnia related to my bipolar disorder.  If I don't sleep I go really nutty, and I can't take a nap no matter how tired I get.  Maybe it would depend on the time of day you take the Decadron.  What time of day did you take it?  Maybe I could take it in the morning since I am a slow goer in the morning.  Gosh, there are just so many things to think about.  I am seeking a second opinion on June 30th, and Decadron will be on my list.

Nancy
12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs