Author Topic: VNG results? Gentamicin?  (Read 3003 times)

jsanders1379

VNG results? Gentamicin?
« on: October 07, 2013, 11:22:31 am »
I had a VNG test last week ( still having severe dysequilibrium @ 4 mo post GK) and it showed 67% loss of balance function in my AN ear. The dr. said I could continue with vestibular therapy to try to rewire my brain to pay less attention to the crazy signals from the AN side, OR get the gentamicin treatment &completely destroy the signals from the left ear...I am going with the therapy for now because I have seen some improvement, but am wondering if anyone else has had the gentamicin treatment? also, if for some reason you had the treatment & then your balance was compromised on the NON-AN side, would you be incapacitated, or can the eyes & body receptors give you enough to stay vertical?
Jeanne
Dx 10-25-2012
5x6x4 mm
3-27-2013 MRI 9x6x6 mm
GK  5-7-13 Swedish Hospital, Denver

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
Re: VNG results? Gentamicin?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 01:15:03 pm »
The dr. said I could continue with vestibular therapy to try to rewire my brain to pay less attention to the crazy signals from the AN side, OR get the gentamicin treatment &completely destroy the signals from the left ear

Scroll down to the Side Effects at the following link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gentamicin

Looks a little scary to me.

More sources at:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=gentamicin

I'd give the therapy more of a chance. Balance issues take time.
3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

Cheryl R

Re: VNG results? Gentamicin?
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 06:55:13 pm »
Having no balance nerves is not an end all to life.     I do have a feeling that each case of it will vary.    So no guarantees how well you will do if end up in such a situation.        I have had surgery on both sides and actually do very well.       You would have to be with me a bit to see where I do have balance issues. Types of surface I walk on.    Can't walk in the dark with out veering all over.    Need rails for stairs.    Can't do on ice or much snow,etc.          I have never used a cane or a walker.    So how I do is not how the next person may do.     There are some with just one sided loss of balance nerve who are having more problems than I do.                 So at least some answer to how it is with no balance nerves working for my own case.                       Cheryl R           
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care