Author Topic: Waiting for the call that will start the countdown  (Read 4667 times)

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
Waiting for the call that will start the countdown
« on: April 16, 2012, 10:55:12 am »
Hi Everyone,

I sincerely appreciate all of your encouragement and help over this long and arduous AN "kill Irv" journey.

However, I am perplexed about what to do, I received a call from the scheduling secretary who schedules the Gamma Knife Friday that she has left a message with the oncologist who is supposed to be there on the same day, yet I have spent all weekend waiting to hear if the date was going to be confirmed (the date is June 11).  I AM SITTING ON PINS AND NEEDLES, I don't know what to do? Should I call and make a pest of myself? Thanks for the patience with the drama!

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

Ned

Re: Waiting for the call that will start the countdown
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 02:05:51 pm »
Don't worry about being a pest.  Call the scheduler back, ask her name, then ask if she can confirm the appointment and if not when she expects to hear from the doctor.  Nothing wrong with being proactive.  As an aside, when I was preparing for my FSR, I had several appointments for sizing and other prep testing prior to the beginning of treatment.  You might want to ask about how to plan for this and when they would expect to do these things.  It might be different for GK.
2003   1.5cmX1,6cmx1.3cm
FSR Sara Cannon Cancer Center  Nashville
2006  1.1 cmX1.2cmX .9cm

nftwoed

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 02:36:05 pm »
Hi Mike!

After all, we pts. are these peoples 'bread and butter".
  Guess maybe I'd say something like: " Hi, this is Mike Demisay and just wished to verify I have appt. scheduled with Dr. ( so and so ) for June 11."
  I hope things turn out well for you, Mike.

New girl

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 03:50:44 pm »
Hi Mike,

I would call and be a pest.  When I decided on surgery I found out a month prior to my date that it might get cancelled due to an OR scheduling issue.  They worked it out but I called almost every day for maybe 1.5 weeks.  Not knowing and being able to plan was causing me great stress.  I told them that and they were very nice to me.  I think they are used to panicky patients.  If there is ever a time to be a pest this is it!

Best wishes for getting rid of Irv!
9mmx14mmx9mm
Diagnosed 6/1/2011
Retrosigmoid Surgery 9/27/2011
Daniel Lee (MEEI) & Fred Barker (MGH) - Exceptional Surgeons

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 04:44:23 am »
"Patience is a virtue" in a situation like this. Many of us also had to wait for the infamous phone call...... just give them a day or 2..... then, do a "gentle follow up" reminder phone call..... always good to stay on their good side :)
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

MDemisay

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 01:31:30 pm »
Guess what everybody?

I called back and am scheduled for June 11!!! Persistence wins! Now I can go back to the watch and wait list until June the 10th. Hooray!

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!

Suu

• Better out than in.
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 02:26:44 am »
WTG! Mike!!

How are you feeling besides elated to have a date?  ;D

Best wishes for this time to speed by at a great rate of knots.  :)

Suu xxoo
4cm Left side AN Translab August 18th 2010
Facial nerve not working
Nerve conduction Jan '11 Repeated 23rd May '11
SSD left side
5 ops in 6 weeks to fix CSF leaks
Tarsorrhaphy 9 Mar '11 Extended 26 Aug '13
Sling Thur 16 June '11
12/7 nerve graft 9 Feb '12

MDemisay

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 02:37:18 pm »
Suu,

Feeling relieved mostly! Relieved that I can once again sleep and plan bigger and better things like graduations and parties. I view this as a major speed bump in my life, just hit it with the right tempo and you will get through it ok!

Speed through it and you could have major body work! As in all unexpected things in life preparation is the key!

My family thinks that there will be depression, side effects, and other things to contend with, but I figure God doesn't give us anything he thinks we can't handle!

Mike

Suu

• Better out than in.
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 05:11:03 am »
That's a good way of thinking Mike.

If you go through anything then you know we're here to help.

I'm sooooooooooooo looking forward to the days when you post after your appoinment date.  ;D Until then I'll look forward to reading about your plans for the future.

Suu xxoo
4cm Left side AN Translab August 18th 2010
Facial nerve not working
Nerve conduction Jan '11 Repeated 23rd May '11
SSD left side
5 ops in 6 weeks to fix CSF leaks
Tarsorrhaphy 9 Mar '11 Extended 26 Aug '13
Sling Thur 16 June '11
12/7 nerve graft 9 Feb '12