Author Topic: Has anyone had radiation after surgery  (Read 2680 times)

tichinose

Has anyone had radiation after surgery
« on: September 27, 2009, 11:43:42 am »
How long does the dr. wait to try radiation after the AN surgery to get the remaining tumor.  My tumor was 6cm and there is still 1.8 cm left.  When does the dr. determine if they will do radiation?  My dr. did mention it but that was 1 yr ago.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Has anyone had radiation after surgery
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 02:24:06 pm »
Tichinose ~

My neurosurgeon performed a partial resection of my 4.5 cm AN, cutting it down to approximately 2.5 cm. I underwent FSR treatments (26) exactly 3 months later.  This was a carefully-planned approach that my doctor laid out for me prior to my surgery.  For the FSR, he worked closely with a radiation oncologist to 'map' the low-dose radiation, which subsequent MRI scans showed was successful (necrosis and shrinkage).  My neurosurgeon has been my follow-up doctor because the radiation oncologist left the hospital for another state shortly after my FSR had ended. 

I would certainly advise you to contact your doctor to inquire about the radiation.  Of course, your doctor 'mentioning it' and actually intending to do it (radiation) are two different things.  He may have meant that if future MRI scans show a re-growth, you can undergo radiation.    Radiation may not be absolutely necessary but it certainly increases the odds of the AN not returning - ever.  I wouldn't want to wait for a possible re-growth.  However, that is your decision to make.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

tichinose

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 04:59:45 pm »
Are there side affects to the radiation?  How did you feel?

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 03:36:14 pm »
Tichinose ~

Frankly, the FSR (Fractionated Stereotactic Radiotherapy) 'treatments' were painless.  More tedious than anything else because it involved wearing a tight-fitting, custom-made (plastic) mask (fortunately, I'm not at all claustrophobic) and laying on a fairly chilly 'table' that was lifted and tilted (I was strapped down) so that the radiation beams could be directed precisely where they were needed.  I can only speak from my experience but I did not suffer any side-effects from the 26 FSR treatments.  Oh, for just one day I felt a little bit of nausea - but it passed.  I drove myself to and from each of the 26 'sessions' -  a 60-mile round trip.  No problem.  My radiation oncologist carefully 'mapped' the radiation rays and kept the radiation 'dose' as low as possible to avoid problems.  I had no problems.  I felt fine before, during and after the radiation.  I still do. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

sgerrard

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 11:50:05 pm »
I had radiation only, for a small AN. The treatment itself was easy. Like Jim, I drove back and forth each day, though mine was just for 3 days. I didn't feel much of anything for about 3 months. Then I had a bout of swelling combined with a bad cold. For about a week I was not feeling at all well, and my head felt strange and uncomfortable. The worst was over after that, and by the end of 6 months, it was all over with. I still notice that my ears feel odd sometimes, but that is often the case for AN patients.

I think it is common for doctors to want to watch a small leftover, to see if it grows, before they do radiation. It is worth talking to your doctors about it, but if they are not worried, I wouldn't be either.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.