Author Topic: Health history  (Read 3655 times)

grammyslim

Health history
« on: April 01, 2012, 09:00:34 pm »
I am wondering about other health issues people are experiencing. 
I have Psoriasis; sleep apena; and have had red blotches that reappear during stressful times.
I also have a thyroid condition.  Have had issues with my knees as well as gall bladder surgery - just wondering if any of these issues are common to anyone else that has an AN>

Thanks
1.4 cm diagnosed 01/12
significant hearing loss rt side
total balance loss rt side - AN side -
left side already compensated (who knew)
Radiation completed May 2012 - all systems are GO -- so happy I chose radiation near home.

Suu

• Better out than in.
Re: Health history
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 03:51:10 am »
Hi Grammy

The only thing I have in common with your symptoms are hyperthyriodism (Graves which is in remission) and I get red blotches when stressed too.

I've done a whole lot of reading and it doesn't seem to have any rhyme or reason on who it chooses.  You can be as healthy as an ox or as crook as a chook (Aussieisms  :)), you can be young or old, male or female. 

I do have one opinion though - we may have been chosen to get these because we can handle it and teach others not so strong to handle it as well.

Lovenhugs dear friend.
Suu xxoo
4cm Left side AN Translab August 18th 2010
Facial nerve not working
Nerve conduction Jan '11 Repeated 23rd May '11
SSD left side
5 ops in 6 weeks to fix CSF leaks
Tarsorrhaphy 9 Mar '11 Extended 26 Aug '13
Sling Thur 16 June '11
12/7 nerve graft 9 Feb '12

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 07:49:50 am »
I too have psorasis along with roscaea my face which has the blotches I had gall bladder surgery after my AN surgery and have numerous lipomas not sure if this is a connection amongst maybe some of us?

Best Wishes,
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 07:50:54 am »
Hi Grammy

The only thing I have in common with your symptoms are hyperthyriodism (Graves which is in remission) and I get red blotches when stressed too.

I've done a whole lot of reading and it doesn't seem to have any rhyme or reason on who it chooses.  You can be as healthy as an ox or as crook as a chook (Aussieisms  :)), you can be young or old, male or female. 

I do have one opinion though - we may have been chosen to get these because we can handle it and teach others not so strong to handle it as well.

Lovenhugs dear friend.
Suu xxoo

I love your opinion about being chosen...

Best Wishes,
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

Cheryl R

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 08:09:34 am »
I do not think there is any connection other than maybe getting older.       The general population of people can have ones with a long list of various health issues and then some with almost none.       This is my opinion from doing many hospital admissions with working 21  yrs as a nurse and now retired.        There has been question of thyroid among ANers.       Hard to know if it is related as there are many without ANs with it any more it seems like.              More modern technology of being able to find what is wrong in our bodies is available now too.      Having had ANs is enough and one just has to hope that no more severe health conditions affect us.
                                                           Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 12:06:54 pm »
I agree with Cheryl - although I'm older (50 now) and don't have any of these issues.

Does this mean I have stuff like this to look foward to  ???  ::)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 03:20:36 pm »
I agree with Nurse Cheryl and Jan.

I was diagnosed at age 63 and had no other medical issues, whatsoever.  Six years later, I still don't.  Well, I'm not as agile as I once was, my stamina has diminished and my balance is not quite as good as it was pre-AN.  My hair is greyer, too.  I became SSD before my AN diagnosis (the cost of procrastination and denial) .  However, that's it.   

Although we do develop physical problems as we age, I can't see any relation between these and developing an acoustic neuroma but this is simply a subjective opinion and not that of a doctor.  As always, I could be wrong.  :)

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 12:07:12 pm »
Grammyslim,

There is some documentation that Dr. Kondziolka attributes to having had dental Xrays! He finds that people who have had them regularly as I have (once every two years) are more likely to develop an AN than for poor people who don't go to the dentist. I will now have to inform my dentist that unless, I have a complaint no more xrays.

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

chloes mema

• Life is a special occasion.
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 02:37:03 pm »
Mike

That's interesting and a good idea about not having x-rays unless you have a complaint.  Think I'll do that also.

I tried searching the net the other day for any correlation between thyroid problems and ANs but only got into the reading far enough to learn that some think it has to do with having too much radiation as a child. 

On that note, I have thyroid nodules that I have to have an ultrasound done on annually.  Just had that done last week.  Tech wouldn't comment but my impression from her expression is "it ain't good"!

Karen
Diagnosed October 2011
Oct '11-9 X 6 mm left ear
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Tinnitus, imbalance, and mild dizziness (ditsy)
My AN = Annoying Nuisance
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back