Author Topic: Questions about dizziness & imbalance  (Read 3246 times)

chloes mema

• Life is a special occasion.
Questions about dizziness & imbalance
« on: December 28, 2011, 11:49:39 am »
I thought I had figured out when & how my dizziness & / or balance issues are triggered but today I'm totally confused.  For days they occurred when I was either laying down or sitting down, now today it's when I'm standing up and then bend over.  Thought I was going to end up on my nose several times.   Also, today is the first time I had "issues" driving.  It's like this "thing" has taken on a life of itself!

Has anyone else had this experience?

I swear most of this started after the Vestibular Testing last week.

Karen
Diagnosed October 2011
Oct '11-9 X 6 mm left ear
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Tinnitus, imbalance, and mild dizziness (ditsy)
My AN = Annoying Nuisance
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back

mattsmum

Re: Questions about dizziness & imbalance
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 07:27:50 am »
hi there - i for one, and i am sure many other 'wobblies' have symptoms brought on by bending over. i frequently have to touch the floor to stop me ending up on my nose!
i have had trouble with driving too. looking back and fore can cause trouble, and i can no longer drive on roads with many lanes, or in the dark. i was never very good at parking(!) but now i am hopeless.  :(
that all said - i am generally a lot better for doing vestib rehab. my driving was even more limited than currently and i am hopeful i will get back to night driving in time, if not motorways.
best wishes,
vikki
LINAC radiosurgery july 2011 for 1.5cm tumour (uk)

chloes mema

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 07:45:53 am »
Hi Vikki.

Good luck with your vest rehab.  I can't imagine this "wobbly" stuff being worse than it is but I know it can be because I've had it worse but it always cleared itself up.  I really think mine is from the testing I had done a week ago but will discuss with my doctor at next weeks appt.

Have a safe and happy new year.

Karen
Diagnosed October 2011
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back

Tumbleweed

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 02:31:24 pm »
Hi, Karen:

Unless your dizziness is being caused by infection of or damage to your labyrinth (inner ear) -- affecting one or more of the semicircular canals that control your sense of balance on three axes -- you really can't predict what body position will trigger it. An AN usually compromises the balance nerve and not the labyrinth. So the dizziness that results may manifest in any number of ways.

It's totally usual for someone with an AN to experience different dizziness symptoms at different times. These may include disequilibrium (imbalance and light-headedness, often referred to as "wonkyheadedness" on this forum), vertigo (spinning sensation) and/or oscillopsia (bouncing vision).

Your vestibular testing may indeed have caused your dizziness to worsen, but this should be a temporary setback.

Anyway, rest assured that what you are going through is "normal" for having an AN.

Best wishes,
TW
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

LisaP

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 02:55:17 pm »
Hi,

I am currently W&W and I have sensations at times like I am going to fall backwards, I don't even try to spin around, and if I have a cold, it feels worse then it probably is.  Good luck with your therapy.

LisaP
LisaP
AN at 12mm by 7mm by 7mm,  shown no growth as of September 26, 2013, 5.5 years into this journey.  Next MRI 2015. Doctors: Mason and McKenna.  Continue to W&W

chloes mema

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 04:19:41 pm »
Lisa & TW - thanks for the info.  At least now I don't feel like its just me.  Every day seems to be a "whole new day" when it comes to this AN stuff.  So far I've experienced everything TW mentioned except the bouncing vision. 

Have a safe and Happy New Year!

Karen
Diagnosed October 2011
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back