Author Topic: Ice cream,too cold  (Read 6534 times)

thecakes

Ice cream,too cold
« on: January 28, 2007, 07:23:08 pm »
In a different threadI had talked about a bad memory problem.  Now I notice when I have icecream its almost to cold to eat.  My bottom teeth in back are suddenly too sensitive.  What do you think is going on?

Battyp

Re: Ice cream,too cold
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 06:29:12 am »
nerves.  I had to switch to a sensitive toothpaste after surgery.  I love ice cream too!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 11:16:47 am »
ah, the famous ice cream headaches... even those nasty ice cream headache head rushes.... oh, I have to grab my head when I get one of them.  I would get those ice cream headaches far before my AN diagnosis and have to agree with batty.  Try Sensidyne (spelling?) toothpaste.  The nerves in your teeth may be setting it off as they may be overly sensitive.  IMO, I don't think it's AN related... just nerve endings in your mouth alerting you to it's cold temperature (and hopefully, it's sweet taste!)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Obita

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 11:30:21 am »
Hi Cakes:

Ever since surgery, ice cream hurts the roof of my mouth, AN side.  I don't know what to think if this just came
on for you.  Best call your doc?

I will go back and find the memory thread you started....I think I was on the run when I saw it.

Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Static

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 11:55:48 am »
I had that same problem and then went to the dentist.  Three root canals later, my teeth aren't as sensitive but those ice cream headaches are major killers!  I grab the top of my head too!  Have you been to the dentist lately?

~Karen
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

redgrl

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 01:41:43 pm »
Ice cream and even can't have ice in my drinks
4 cm left side AN. Translab Sept 20th 06 at virginia mason w/Dr. Backous & Dr. Nussbaum. Second surgery Oct 15th 06 to repair CFS leak.

thecakes

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 05:14:48 pm »
  Thanks for your replies.I will wait until i. I have more strange things happening

matti

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 07:35:53 pm »
hi Cakes - is the pain on both sides? AN  side?  Do you have the same sensation with hot liquids?  I agree with Static, I think seeing the dentist would be a good idea. I have had several root canals, mostly on the AN side and post surgery. I used to get ice cream headaches pre-surgery, but have not had one since.

Veering off the subject, but since we are talking to Cakes about ice cream; I found the best flavor it's called "birthday cake". Oh my, it tastes like white cake, has frosting swirled throughout and the added bonus of sprinkles. The only way it could get any better would be to find the chocolate version.

keep us posted Cakes!

Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Dfcman

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2007, 07:51:23 pm »
that is so weird..I kinda noticed that too.  The Sensitivity thing...ive gotten kinda used to it because I drink alot of ice cold drinks.  Esp Milk.  I eat an ice cream very slowly.
Son of Chrissmom
23 Years Old
AIM is the best way to contact me
5.3 x 4 cm tumor removed by surgery(2 times)
Dr. Arriaga and Dr. Baghai Pittsburgh Allegheny Hospital
Post Op as of 7/20/06

Battyp

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2007, 09:43:42 pm »
Yep AN side is bothered by cold.  I figured it had to do with the numbness I have.  Hey matti, Greg closed on the ice cream shop today..they have birthday cake ice cream and you can get chocolate chunks in it  :o :-*

kjmema

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2007, 10:02:28 am »
Oh my gosh.  Again this site has renewed my faith in, well, this site!!!!!  My teeth on the left side have been driving me NUTS.  I've been to the dentist twice and both times he has assured me I do not have a tooth problem.  Now I understand the cold, hot sensitivity the aching in my jaw, and the feeling that I have something between my teeth.  Took a sip of a slushy and almost spit it out.  Gads.  What doesn't the AN cause?   I'm having  leg cramps and my left toes twitch. Of course on the AN side.  Don't tell me that is AN related also.........
left side AN 3mm IAC watch & wait hearing 100% balance slightly off

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2007, 11:26:58 am »
My teeth have always been ultra-sensitivive to the cold, before and after the AN. It doesn't stop me from eating it went I want it though. I just keep it away from my teeth while it's in my mouth. I'll say this though: My reaction-response and touch/feel neurology on the left side of my body has been altered since surgery. I've written about this in an earlier post: "Cerebellar Retraction / Handwriting difficulties". There are other things I hadn't mentioned. Little things such as once having ultra-ticklish feet - my whole life. Since surgery I've been able to receive full foot massages without batting an eye. My left foot (AN side ) is not as sensitive as the right. Nothing approximating what it would be like to have had a stroke. Maybe just slightly suggestive? 

The world of neurology is extremely bizarre and complex. There is a book on the subject written by a famous neurologist, Dr. Oliver Sacks:  "The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat: And Other Clinical Tales". There was also a film based on his life produced in 1990: "Awakenings", with Robin Williams and Robert Deniro.

The tales he recounts in his book in many ways go beyond what we're experiencing but it's a good read and can maybe bring us a little closer to understanding it all.

Take care, Paul 
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 11:46:05 am by Crazycat »
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

Sefra22

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2007, 05:57:25 pm »
I don't know if this will work for you, but it helps me. I can only eat ice cream with a plastic spoon. Using a metal one is torture on the teeth. ;D
Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009

Windsong

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2007, 07:17:09 pm »
I was out today in _10 c temps and decided to have an icecream sandwich as a scientifc test rofl....  :P Aieeeee the last two mouthfuls froze my mouth it seemed. (I ate in indoors)...Hadn't had one for months and months so I'd say yes, it is a colder expercience now lol...

W.

Boppie

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2007, 09:57:29 pm »
I had one tiny sip of a slushy margerita New Years that sent me into such nerve spasms I couldn't think.  I have to let icy drinks and ice cream melt.  I've been sensitive to very hot and very cold for years, but it is worse now, post op.  I've had to adjust to a new way of eating.  I get a little tired of making excuses when I am eating with a group, though...makes me feel like a whiner.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 01:42:25 pm by Boppie »