Author Topic: After AN, when you get sick...  (Read 5587 times)

Pembo

After AN, when you get sick...
« on: January 28, 2007, 02:49:58 pm »
 :-[  do you have that dreaded feeling that something is terribly wrong with you?

My dh had the flu this week and then I got it. Now logically I know that I just have the flu and in a day I'll be fine but my mind starts running and at some point I've convinced myself something more is wrong and I start thinking of all the things I should have done....etc etc...

Now of course today, I'm better, it was just the flu.

Who else has had these moments of paranoia??
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

tony

Re: After AN, when you get sick...
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 03:00:36 pm »
Yes wonderfull isnt it ?
these days a mild cold (which messes up any single balance nerve)
can convince us that "the end is nigh"
but in most cases it doesnt mean that at all
we all get "flak happy" sometime
and for good reason methinks.....
but in most cases its not real
live long and prosper....
Tony

Boppie

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 03:10:01 pm »
and wish I were back in the days when I didn't think I needed to caution people about hearing abuse!   :(

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 06:05:12 am »
Yes I too get this way, not so much about colds and flu's but if I get a big headache that won't go away, when my face tingles sometimes I panic.
With time you likely won't get so upset so easily but really it doesn't totally go away. I thinks it's normal given our circumstances, we had stubble little signs that indicated the problem was there and likely ignored them for a period and "I ain't gonna do that again"
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

matti

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 11:34:33 am »
I agree with Kathleen, the feeling never really goes away, but certainly does lessen over time. My AN presented with such subtle symptoms, so when I do feel odd or different sensations, I do worry. Luckily all is still well ;D

Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Static

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 11:53:27 am »
I thought it was just me!  I get that feeling whenever something is different.  Like, my ear itches all the way inside and it drives me crazy and instead of just trying to itch it, I start thinking...... is that some sort of sign or something?  I've had a head cold for almost 2 weeks now and it has made me so discombobulated.  The fullness makes the tinnitus and headaches worse.  I need to stop worrying inside.

~Karen
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

redgrl

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 01:39:49 pm »
I thought it wa just me being paranoid. I don't even know what normal feel like anymore.  :(
4 cm left side AN. Translab Sept 20th 06 at virginia mason w/Dr. Backous & Dr. Nussbaum. Second surgery Oct 15th 06 to repair CFS leak.

matti

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 07:50:13 pm »
I thought it wa just me being paranoid. I don't even know what normal feel like anymore.  :(

Interesting that you should say that, because I  finished reading a book that was recommended by Gennysmom called " I had brain surgery, what's your excuse?", by Suzy Becker. A fabulous and must read.  The author was diagnosed with a benign brain tumor ( not AN).  She writes about her journey and the physical and emotional impact it has had on her and those around her. She is a humorist and illustrator, so the book is rather funny at times and the illustrations are hilarious.  My favorite quote in the book is "how long does it take to forget what normal feels like?" 

Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2007, 10:12:20 am »
I certainly understand why many folks in our situation might be a bit hyper over their health.  We've gone through a lot and in some cases, we ignored or were simply oblivious to the symptoms that should have warned us something was wrong (Jim sheepishly raises his hand, here).  In some cases, we did respond to our body's 'distress calls' but doctors misled us, out of their own ignorance (or apathy), which is doubly frustrating.

In any case, once one has undergone the 'AN experience', with all it's annoying and sometimes painful side effects and complications, it's easy to become hyper-aware of our bodies and anything even slightly 'out of whack', as it were.  I refuse to do that. Luckily for me, my concerned wife does it for me.  She keeps an eye on me, and is always alert for anything that might signal a problem.  Fortunately, nothing of any consequence has revealed itself, to date. 

Although our individual experiences with having a benign brain tumor certainly affects our lives, and probably always will, I don't believe we should allow it to control us.   Being health-conscious is reasonable, becoming paranoid and upset over small physical problems is not.  I opt to remain attentive to my health, but not a slave to it.  I recommend this approach to anyone who can use it to their benefit.   

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2007, 10:20:37 am »

Although our individual experiences with having a benign brain tumor certainly affects our lives, and probably always will, I don't believe we should allow it to control us.   Being health-conscious is reasonable, becoming paranoid and upset over small physical problems is not.  I opt to remain attentive to my health, but not a slave to it.  I recommend this approach to anyone who can use it to their benefit.   

Jim

Jim, a HEARTY aye-men from me!  Thank you!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

pearchica

• Hey!
    • Political Chic Chat- an Independent Political Cocktail for Women
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2007, 08:33:01 pm »
Isn't Jim our Secretary of State! So well written - say Jim lets send you to office!  But back to the thread- I'll be interested to see "how I react" to my first illness post AN...hopefully I won't be paranoid but not as clueless as I was to this stupid bugger! Take care, Annie

If Jim is Secretary of State would Phyl be President?  hmmm my fantasy election ticket....Annie
Annie MMM MY Shwannoma (sung to the son My Sharona by the Knack-1979)
I have a TUMAH (Arnold Schwarzenegger accent) 2.4 x 2.2 x 1.9CM. CK Treatment 2/7-2/9/07, Stanford- Dr. Stephen Chang, Dr. Scott Soltys