Author Topic: Going to Dr. Thursday!  (Read 1866 times)

jps311

Going to Dr. Thursday!
« on: January 27, 2009, 08:18:15 pm »
I have been on here a while. I posted the queston GK or surgery and thursday i find out which one is better for me. I truly feel if the AN stays in me and the GK works to kill it and won't affect me in the future or have side affects with it still in my head then i would go that way. But if i get the wrong answers there then i guess they take it out and i resign myself to missing 5 to 6 wks of work. I hate that idea with the way companies are laying off. But i need to make the decision which works for me i guess. So i will post on monday what i have decided to do. I thank this site so i can talk and read what other people have to say.

PAul

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
Re: Going to Dr. Thursday!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 09:00:44 pm »
Good luck tomorrow!  Let us all know what the doctor says.  I'll pray for the best outcome for you.  I'm with you in that this is really a sucky time to be missing work, however that's why they gave us FMLA (ask your HR Department about it if you haven't already).  It's basically there to protect your job while you're dealing with a medical issue be it the birth of a child (men included) or an AN or something totally different.  You'll have some paperwork that your doctor has to fill out, but it's well worth it in order to protect your job.  I did it and my employer happily gave me the paperwork (they have to give it to ya by law if you ask).

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Going to Dr. Thursday!
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 09:48:04 pm »
Paul -

I'm not trying to sway your treatment decision - I think your idea of doing GK is a sound one - but keep in mind that surgery doesn't always mean 5-6 weeks off of work.

Although docs say it's typically 6 weeks, everyone has a different experience and recovers at their own pace.  The type of work you do can also be a factor.  Some are back to work sooner than 6 weeks; you may be one of them.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways