Author Topic: 9 month post ck - what does this mean?  (Read 4360 times)

mellowrama

9 month post ck - what does this mean?
« on: June 02, 2007, 09:03:22 am »
Hello all,

I just got back my MRI results (9 months)...this is what the notes are...my doc hasn't seen the results yet (in the mail).  I think it says the tumor has grown  :(

"Impression:  Persistent enhancing left cp angle mass is stable to slightly progressive as compared to the 5/31/06 exam, presently 2.3x1.9x1.6 cm in size.   

Possibilities to include acoustic schwannoma versus meningioma.  Consider ct evaluation ifthis has not been prior performed.  If this demonstaretes higher attenuation on ct, meningioma would be considered more likely."

thanks,
melinda
22mm x 19mm x 12mm CyberKnife  9/25/2006 BNI Dr. Daspit/Dr. Smith/Dr. Brachman
Failed radiation - regrowth to 2.6cm 
Translab Surgery w/ House Docs 8/26/2009 Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz, SSD, tinnitus. 
Baha surgery with Dr. Baker in OKC nov 2009
Baha revision surgery by Dr. Horn in ABQ 8/2011

zjane

Re: 9 month post ck - what does this mean?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2007, 08:26:43 pm »
I would wait  for your CK doc's opinion.  Some of the diagnositic radiologist (the ones write the repots) might not be experienced in evaluating post-radiation tumors on the scans.  Or they mistaken swelling with growth.  I'd wait for CK doc to read the scans before getting too paniky.

Good luck hope everything turns out ok and it's just swelling.
right side AN found Nov 04 1.0x0.7
FSR Cabrini - Dr. Lederman 5 sessions Nov 05 1.4x1.0
Translab Hinsdale Hospital - Dr. Wiet / Dr. Kazan Jun 07 2.3x1.2 (CSF leak, lumbar drain)

2yr Post-Op MRI Apr 09 Clean

macintosh

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2007, 10:35:44 pm »
I'm gong to trot out a message that some people will have seen in other forums:

This is from an abstract from an article in Neurosurgery: February 2006. The primary author is BE Pollock:

<Tumor expansion after VS radiosurgery rarely denotes a failed procedure, and the majority of patients only require further imaging. Approximately one third of tumors that enlarge will remain increased in size compared with the time of radiosurgery but will not show sequential growth. Additional tumor treatment should be reserved only for patients who demonstrate progressive tumor enlargement on serial imaging (2% in this series). >

So according to this, your odds are still very high that this is just short term swelling, and nothing else. I had radiosurgery five months ago, and I've fully accepted the fact that it may take a couple of years to get clear evidence of treatment success. 

You should be able to get the whole article at pubmed.gov.

mellowrama

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2007, 11:56:26 pm »
Thanks for the feedback, I feel much more optimistic now.  I hadn't heard about swelling after say 4-5 months post radiation.

melinda
Translab Surgery w/ House Docs 8/26/2009 Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz, SSD, tinnitus. 

ceeceek

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2007, 08:34:54 am »
Hey Mcntosh,
Great article. I will have to save that one for my records. Dr Medbery said more of less same thing on the CK board....

and yes, they tend to swell after proceedure and then die...which is why, if you want to look up my wierdo case, is why I needed my tumor to be made smaller...so I would then have room for swelling...Plus, different MRI centers will have slight variations also..if possible, try and use same center for every MRI.
Do not panic, I believe in my heart for you that this is great news.!!!
Such is life...Finally identified...vidian nerve schwanomma, 2.8x2.8x3cm.....in the middle but under my brain.....post transphenoidal endoscopic surgery April 19th, 2007 Pre CK treatment in Sept 07.....re-arranged cavity in hopes of reducing side effects and now officially diagnosed as hard headed.

marystro

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2007, 06:01:54 pm »
Hi Melinda,

Don't panic.

It is most likely swelling.  I have faith and hope for you.  You should wait for your CK doctor's diagnosis.  MRI doctors/techs should not be dispensing their diagnosis without the full knowledge and background of your case anyway.

I just approached my 10 month mark and pretty sure mine is swelling alright.

You will be fine.  Hang in there...

Mary
Mary
July 2006 - 22 x 18 x 20 mm
August 2006 - CK at Stanford by Dr. Chang/Dr. Soltys
February 2008 - 19 x 15 x 20 mm and stable
May 2009 - 17 x 14 x 18 mm

okiesandy

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2007, 10:53:53 am »
Melinda,

Mine was still bigger at 9 months than when treated. At 1 year it was slightly smaller than at treatment time. Also, mine have been done on three machines pre-treatment and one post. Different angles even from the 4 I have had from the single MRI machine. Isn't it strange how we seem to panic at anything that does not fit our idea of where we want the tumor to at a certain stage. I am so layed back about mine until the week before MRI time and then I can't sleep and all I think about is the danged MRI and what they will find. My last MRI made not mention of the tumor shrinking or necrosis. When the doctor looked at it she (Not Dr. M) said "well it is doing something"..... flip.... my heart jumped. Then she said "look it is not as light in the middle as it was and seems to be some smaller". I have MRi and Dr. visit same day and the MRI report later. When I went to the neruosurgeon a month later  she was so excited she was going Yes...yes...in the hall and said "come out here and look at your tumor, it is smaller and much darker in the center". Can you get a copy of your MRI on disc? Sometimes the have measurements on that and you can cheat a little:)

Sandy
Cyberknife 1/2006
Clinton Medbery III & Mary K. Gumerlock
St Anthony's Hospital
Oklahoma City, OK
Name of Tumor: Ivan (may he rest in peace)

Sheryl

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2007, 12:31:24 pm »
Thanks for the feedback, I feel much more optimistic now.  I hadn't heard about swelling after say 4-5 months post radiation.

melinda

Hi Melinda - Not sure I used the "quote" function correctly.  Just wanted to mention that my husband is considering radiation for a regrowth of a benign meningioma that was surgically removed three years ago and decided to return.  He just recently went to a large teaching hospital in Boston to inquire about radiation alone vs. another surgery and radiation.  He was told that they would do just radiation if he was set against another surgery and when questioned about swelling, the radiation oncologist said it could occur even up to years later.  I'm not sure if this is because it is a meningioma on the top of his head as opposed to an acoustic neuroma but would assume the same holds true for both.
Good luck - keep us posted,
Sheryl
9th cranial nerve schwannoma - like an acoustic neuroma on another nerve. Have recently been told it could be acoustic neuroma. Only 7 mm of growth in 18 years. With no symptoms. Continuing W&W

marystro

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2007, 08:58:50 pm »
Come to think of it.  I experienced some swelling after 4-5 months.  So, don't worry.  And did you get the doctor's report yet?

- Mary
Mary
July 2006 - 22 x 18 x 20 mm
August 2006 - CK at Stanford by Dr. Chang/Dr. Soltys
February 2008 - 19 x 15 x 20 mm and stable
May 2009 - 17 x 14 x 18 mm

mellowrama

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2007, 12:44:12 am »
Hello All,

Thanks for the feedback.  I just returned from out of town, so I'm just now catching up.  It took a while for my doctor to report back to me, which didn't help my anxiety.  Anyway, his nurse told me there was no change, and then she mentioned it might have shrunk.  So now I'm a bit confused...as the radiologist report seemed to contradict the doc's opinion, but I figure that's not too far off from what often time happens. 

Meanwhile, I've been having some shooting pains in the area of my head where the tumor is ;-(  Probably pyscho-symatic..(?)

I did'nt get specifics on the reading, does anyone?  I  mean its on the radiologist report but I only got a call from my doc and they said get another MRI in 6 months.

Hey Sandy, I was in OKC for the last 2 weeks helping my mom move (whew) it was HOT there!  I tried to call you but the # I had programed was wrong.

melinda