Author Topic: Tai Chi as treatment for those who failed conventioal vestibular rehab  (Read 5937 times)

jerseygirl

Hi,

Here is an article about Tai Chi as a treatment option for those who failed conventional vestibular rehab. I found it very interesting!

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/10/091004141000.htm

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Tai Chi as treatment for those who failed conventioal vestibular rehab
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 10:12:54 am »
Eve .....

Thanks for posting the link to the Tai Chi article.  Several people have talked about the benefits of Yoga for balance, as well.  Not sure I am up for Tai Chi but I do need to follow up on finding a good Yoga class with an understanding instructor.  So far, I have been somewhat intimidated for fear of falling and embarrassment.  OK, I know I shouldn't feel that way, but I do.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 05:31:02 pm »
Eve:  I've been doing yoga for 3 months now & really feel the benefits,  both balance & physical well being.  I've done Tai Chi in the past also.
Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

opp2

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 05:51:39 pm »
Eve .....

Thanks for posting the link to the Tai Chi article.  Several people have talked about the benefits of Yoga for balance, as well.  Not sure I am up for Tai Chi but I do need to follow up on finding a good Yoga class with an understanding instructor.  So far, I have been somewhat intimidated for fear of falling and embarrassment.  OK, I know I shouldn't feel that way, but I do.

Clarice

Clarice please try to overcome that feeling. I work out online doing Crossfit. The best thing about Crossfit is they take every person and scale the workout to you. I'm pretty darn certain that any yoga instructor worth their salt will taylor a beginner yoga for you. And most of the yoga I've done is on the floor  :o

Give it a shot Sister, you've got nothing to lose, and everything to gain.

and edited to add, you can buy some pretty good beginner yoga videos for a pretty sweet deal. Why don't you try that at home?
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 08:12:41 pm »
Thanks, Nikki .....

Keep pushing me!  And you are so right, I have everything to gain and nothing to lose.  Soon as we have other family health issues on an even keel, I will do it!   :o

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

davjack

• Spinning out of control
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 01:23:05 pm »
This is pretty cool. I was actually considering taking Tai Chi before Sept. when my life went in the toilet.
DJ
Lumpy is 1.3cm...am now in W&W mode since Dec. 2009

kate

• Crooked Face Smiling Inside
    • Acoustic Neuroma Coping Support in Los Angeles
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 06:43:33 pm »
I practice Tai chi regularly for years before the AN diagnosis. After surgery I asked the physical therapist about Tai chi. He heartily recommended it. So, once I was able to, I graduated myself from basic balance exercises to doing tai chi again. I also walk most days. It is probably a combination of both that keeps my balance good most of the time. When I have off days, I usually have gone too many days with not enough sleep, and have skipped Tai chi and/or walking. In a way it is a blessing, that balance issues keeps me motiviated to stay active physically.
Kate
Surgery 5-1-2000,  3.9cm, Huntington Memorial Hospital, Pasadena, California. 
Gold weight first couple of years.
Palbebral eyelid spring 2004 by Dr. Robert Levine "saved my life."
 I  have been enjoying life a lot, even with a crooked face and one sided hearing.

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 07:03:30 pm »
Heck!  I took a yoga class before I had balance problems, and I wiped out on the floor.  I was in my early 40's, and it was a "seniors" class.  I felt like a fool.  I never went back, but maybe I should consider it again.  I try doing yoga on the Wii Fit, and it is a challenge.  Vestibular therapy is helping a lot.  As for Tai chi, I took a class before balance problems, also.  It was relaxing, but I didn't keep up with it.  I might try another class.  I guess you have to learn to laugh at yourself sometimes when things don't always go so well with balance.  A couple of weeks ago, I fell on my bum in the grocery store.  Just had to make the best of it.  Nancy
12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

Lilan

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2009, 08:52:13 am »
My gym offers one class a week that is "restorative yoga" -- I want to try that but it's not at a convenient time for me. But maybe you can find something like that. They bill it as being for people recovering from injury, or athletes to do on "rest" days. I think a class like that would be very understanding. Sometimes hospitals offer classes, too -- I would assume they would be very helpful for those who are doing it in a rehabilitative kind of way.
Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!