Author Topic: cyberknife mask question  (Read 9683 times)

rupert

cyberknife mask question
« on: January 04, 2010, 08:32:38 pm »

Hey folks,     I was wondering about the mask I keep reading about that is used in the cyberknife treatment.  Is it  fitted to your face, like paper mache'?  Is it padded?   Does it have eye, ear ,nose, mouth holes?   Is this what is clamped to the table?     Whoa, that's a lot of questions.   Also when the "eye" moves around your head,  how far away is it.    Thanks.    Bryan

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: cyberknife mask question
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 10:04:50 pm »
Bryan -

I don't know the answers to all your questions - I had surgery - but somewhere on the Forum is a picture of Phyl in her CK mask.  I think there are others with their masks also.

As I recall, it looks like mesh (has holes and you can see through it) and it's fitted to your face.

I'm searching for the thread; will post the link as soon as I find it. 

If someone else finds it first, please post it.

Thanks,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 10:39:15 pm »
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Mark

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 11:35:35 pm »
I think the picture of Phyl that Jan provided is worth the proverbial 1000 words, but I would add that the mask is typically made out a plastic that is made pliable in warm water and shaped to your face a week or so before treatment. Mine looked like Phyl's , but was blue ( probably for boys  ;) ). It is not padded, but as I remember was certainly reasonably comfortable for the 45 minutes I wore it in each session. The proximity of the robot varies by it's placement and angle for each beam. I had my eyes closed for much of the treatment but I remember opening them once and seeing it about 6 inches in front of my face  :o

Mark
CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001

sgerrard

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 01:17:42 am »

Me wearing mine at home. A nice souvenir, and useful at Halloween.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 06:55:02 am »
I'm rather fond of the Hannibal Lechter look :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 06:57:43 am »
I think the picture of Phyl that Jan provided is worth the proverbial 1000 words, but I would add that the mask is typically made out a plastic that is made pliable in warm water and shaped to your face a week or so before treatment. Mine looked like Phyl's , but was blue ( probably for boys  ;) ). It is not padded, but as I remember was certainly reasonably comfortable for the 45 minutes I wore it in each session. The proximity of the robot varies by it's placement and angle for each beam. I had my eyes closed for much of the treatment but I remember opening them once and seeing it about 6 inches in front of my face  :o

Mark

Thanks Jan and Mark..... plastic mesh mask for sure... and my eyelashes kept getting caught in the mesh holes each time I opened my eyes.... but had to seek out the "eye" as had been noted to me.

They didn't do my pink... was hoping for purple but at least basic white goes with all ensembles :)

Hope the pics help!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

carter

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 11:17:30 am »
no one has warned you of the side affects of the mask .....  teh amsk is snug to tight on your face .... when the mask is removed you have imprints of where the mesh was.  it took about 1 to 2 hours to be completely gone .... so if you go out to eat after the treatment  or get to work - you get looked at .... 

and i had to tell you the rest of the story --- the horror side????

carter
Diagnosed in fall of 2008 with 1.6 * 2.9cm AN on left side. 

Scheduled CK at Oklahoma Cyber Knife in December, 2008 and decided not to proceede on 2nd date that CK was scheduled.  I fired them.

CK performed at St John's Hospital (Tulsa)Jan 2009

davjack

• Spinning out of control
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 11:55:00 am »
One woman at my support group said the mask was rather snug and she felt like her face was bruised. I have a feeling it's going to be different for everyone. All I know is having my head strapped to a table is going to be a lot creepy, so they're gonna have to slip me a little vitamin "V" if you know what I mean  ;)

I guess the solution to the whole lines in your face problem is 1. don't go to work afterward...forget that! Isn't radiosurgery bad enough without going to work! and 2. bring a ski mask with you so you can go out to dinner afterward...oh wait, the waiter might think you're trying to rob them or something... :-\ so just do delivery  ;D
DJ
Lumpy is 1.3cm...am now in W&W mode since Dec. 2009

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 12:47:34 pm »
no one has warned you of the side affects of the mask .....  teh amsk is snug to tight on your face .... when the mask is removed you have imprints of where the mesh was.  it took about 1 to 2 hours to be completely gone .... so if you go out to eat after the treatment  or get to work - you get looked at .... 

and i had to tell you the rest of the story --- the horror side????

carter

behold the post-mask face...  :)

Disappeared just under an hour (for me).

Phyl

rupert

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 03:49:43 pm »

Thanks for the replies and the pictures.   I will admit that they do not look like I expected.   I might not be a candidate for CK anyway.  Are the paramiters for CK about the same as GK?   I haven't sent the MRI to the GK or CK people yet as they need one that is within three months.  Mine is four.   Oh well back to the MRI machine.
           Bryan

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010, 09:42:44 pm »
Bryan,

Dr's must examine the films to be able to determine if you are a radiation candidate (ie: size of growth, location of growth, interference with structures ie: brain stem, etc).  Usual size cut off point is growths up to 3cm. This is all for AN's....

Phyl

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2010, 09:48:44 pm »
Bryan -

if you are a candidate for CK, you are a candidate for GK.

As Phyl said, there is usually a size limit of 3 cm, but JimC (newbie) recently had radiation for an AN that was larger than 3 cms.

Jan