Author Topic: Thyroid nodule....  (Read 3671 times)

sarahinPA

Thyroid nodule....
« on: July 21, 2011, 07:40:04 am »
Hi everyone,   I just received a call from my endocrinologist. She informed me that I have a small 2 mm nodule on the right side.   This Is also my an side and the side I had radiation gamma knife. An removal is scheduled for next Friday and this is the last thing I need to add stress. I read online that although cancer is a small risk, if u are under 30 had prior head radiation and there is pain it is more likely to be cancer.  I have all of the above and in fact the pain is what made me go to see her in the first place.

Gas anyone else had any similar experiences? I'm scared to death as it is to go through surgery, but to add this to the mix just kills me
2.3cm Diagnosed 12/19/08
Gamma Knife @ UPMC Pittsburgh 1/12/09
.2mm Regrowth 6/2011
Translab 7/29/11 @ UPMC
     temporary paralysis of throat-feeding tube 8 days; SSD; facial numbness; blood clot & pnemonia developed; 11 days hospital stay.

Kaybo

Re: Thyroid nodule....
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 11:23:15 am »
Sarah~
I am sorry that you are having to deal with this on top of the stress of the AN.  I had nodules on my thyroid, which wasn't surprising to me because my mom and grandmother, both, had thyroid problems.  I have never had any radiation...on anything.  I had my thyroid totally removed in 2006 and actually, since I have had many surgeries, it is the one I would recommend!!  As easy as it is to say "Don't borrow trouble!"  Just take one day and medical crisis at a time!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 12:35:42 pm »
I had half of my thyroid removed about 15 years ago...same problem. It is a minor surgery. I went running three days after I had my surgery. I am lucky to have kept half of it, so I don't have to take synthroid, and my thyroid hormone is normal. Anxiety is going to be the worst part of  this surgery.

alabamajane

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 08:17:27 am »
Hi,
I too had thyroid nodules,, about 8, "watched" them with the Dr and ultrasounds for about 20-25 yrs! Finally in 2004 an ultrasound showed one had calcified edges so he biopsied it and found it was indeed cancer. I had the entire thyroid removed (and one parathyroid,, but that was done during same surgery) and have been cancer free now for 7 yrs! The Dr told me at the time that if you had to have cancer,,, thyroid was the one to have as it is the second easiest to beat... the surgery was not difficult and recovery was fairly easy.. I of course have an AN and am MUCH more worried about that surgery than I was about the thyroid CANCER! Hard to believe I guess.. the worst part of the thyroid surgery was doing without any synthroid for about 4 weeks before surgery as you get depleted of the thyroid hormone and feel really FATIGUED but then again,, now I feel that way with this issue,,
Don't stress about a thyroid nodule,, you can live with it for many years if it is not cancer...and it is simple compared with this "new" issue I now have!!! good luck with both though.,,just hang in there,, we are all here for you.........
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26