Author Topic: OK does this make sense to much hearing?  (Read 7328 times)

4cm in Pacific Northwest

Re: OK does this make sense to much hearing?
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2009, 10:27:22 am »
.....Have you tried the demo BAHA yet?
Maureen

Tried it at the symposium. It was awesome. ;D  I found the older model better than the newer model.

Will it be the cure to my hyperacusis? ??? :-\ ... I thought it might be until I read this post. :'(

What to do? What to do? What to do?....  :-\

DHM
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

mikjul1

• Baha blog.
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2009, 12:32:29 pm »
Hyperacusis I do not have that I am just not use to all the sounds now that I got my BP100 it is going to that some getting use to after 35 yrs of not hearing out of my right ear. I do not know if it will help your Hyperacusis or not sorry I can not help you there but I will say this the Baha is great.  ;D
:) BORN IN THE GOOD OLD USA :)
SSD on right side since 1974
BAHA surgery on 4/21/09 Dr. Carla Lawson
BP100 turn on date 8/13/09

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2009, 05:05:41 pm »
I also appreciate the discussion about hyperacusis, though I don't think that is what Mike is experiencing. I think he is just discovering all the sounds he has been missing.

This is my take on the situation also.

I don't know if a BAHA will make hyperacusis worse or better, but I do know that according to my neurotologist a BAHA will have no impact on tinnitus.  That is, if you have tinnitus, a BAHA won't cause it to go away.  And on the opposite side, if you don't have tinnitus a BAHA won't cause it. 

Jan (thankfully both tinnitus and hyperacusis-free)
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Sefra22

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2009, 08:35:24 pm »
So tonight I wore my BAHA out to dinner with friends. I had no trouble hearing the conversation at the table, but whenever I plugged my good ear,( I do this frequently to see how the BAHA is working), I could hear people's forks hitting their plates from surrounding tables. It seemed to be as loud as the voices at my table. When both ears were open, I could not hear these other noises as much. Is this normal?

Lisa
Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2009, 08:43:25 pm »
Lisa -

I have never tried this, so I can't say if it's "normal" or not.  Generally when wearing my BAHA I know it's working from the sounds I'm hearing - not by having to plug my good ear.

So, the fact that you had no trouble hearing the conversation at the table, to me is the best sign your BAHA is working.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways