Author Topic: I'm Back!!  (Read 13828 times)

Manders

• Look closely. God's fingerprints are everywhere.
    • Awkward Turtles
Re: I'm Back!!
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2012, 01:16:13 pm »
I concur with Clarice. My vestibular therapist has been so valuable in helping me to conquer my wonkyness. I'm still not a 100% but I'm getting there and the exercises really do challenge your vestibular system and give it a good work out so it can get stronger.
Keep up the good work!  ;D
Diagnosed February 2012 * 1.3cm tumor * Experienced sudden & total hearing loss in 2007 in right ear * Translab scheduled for May 11, 2012*Follow my blog at: www.awkwardturtlesan.blogspot.com

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2012, 08:36:35 pm »
Glad you're back and things are good, postie!

Like you, I had massive nausea post op - but surprisingly some don't have it at all; not sure why that is. 

No pain whatsoever for me, but balance issues.  My doc gave me some vestibular exercises to do - not sure if they are the ones Clarice sent you or not - but they helped immensely.

Best wishes for a continued recovery,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

kixit

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2012, 07:50:07 am »
10 days post surgery--feeling a little better. Still having balance issues but so far today (it's 930 AM) better. I made my bed for the first time in a week.  Took the laptop back into the living room, I decided I'm not going to live out of my bed anymore. I swiftered the floors, dusted, did dishes and took care of my zoo. I'll probably be pooped for the rest of the day but I did NORMAL things for the first time since surgery. I went out to the phone store yesterday (my daughters phone died - a major catastrophe, lol) and that's all I could do and get back into bed.

I stated before in another post that I haven't had any pain--I jinxed myself! I have been having, I guess what's called- post-surgical headaches. My forehead and the back of my neck will hurt, especially on rising so I try to get up   s l o w. Friday it stayed with me all day and for the most part on Saturday. Today, so far so good.

Anyway, I can tell things are improving minute by minute. My mind wants to run but my body says nooo just crawl, lol.

I return to UVA tomorrow for suture removal and recheck. I looked at my (AN) ear, it looks like it sticks out further than the other one  :P
left side AN 9mm diagnosed 2/2012
SSD, loud tinnitis left ear
Translab 5/24/12
Baha surgery 8/1/2012 at UVA
Baha hook up 11/09/2012  : ) 

I am a happy camper : )

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2012, 12:13:36 pm »
Sounds like you're doing well, but personally I'd lay off the housework.  Your surgery wasn't that long ago and you shouldn't overdo it.

Just my opinion, but if your daughter is old enough for a cell phone, perhaps she's old enough to take over the housework while you recover.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2012, 02:37:14 pm »
I totally agree with Jan even if you feel up to doing certain things this was major and your body needs time to heal if a fractured ankle takes 6 weeks I am sure the brain will be a lot longer...Please do not overdo it I know I had and was sorry afterwards.

Best Wishes,
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

kixit

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2012, 03:08:02 pm »
I wanted to do the housework  because I needed that feeling of normalcy again. My daughter took care of things while I was away.
Translab 5/24/12

alabamajane

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2012, 09:45:21 am »
Kixit,
Glad you seem to be recovering nicely,, but I have to agree that you can overdo at this point and risk slowing complete recovery.. I'm pretty sure Jan did not mean to insult you in any way with her comment to lay off the housework,, but you have to give your brain time to adjust and heal.. it is working extra hard right now to compensate for the lost hearing/ balance nerve on one side,, I had translab too last Oct. and STILL get very tired at times especially when "overstimulated" by outside activities... loud noises, flashing lights, too many people talking or just overdoing physically... I think you may have "jinxed" yourself by doing the dusting and sweeping... that much movement of your head up and down,, side to side,, is really hard on the brain trying to "keep up"... I know you want to be and do "normal" things again,, and you will,, but not necessarily less than two weeks after major brain surgery.. anyway,, not to lecture you,, far from it,, just some advice from those that have been there and are still recovering... please take it for what it is worth,,, our "two cents"......Good luck and sounds like you have a positive attitude towards recovering well.. Jane
P.S.  ,,, except for the incision area, which your hair probably hides,, you have "no" outside signs of what you have been through so it is easy to get restless and want to get up and do (unlike having a cast on say,,),, and others will "forget" what you have been through too and see you as "your old self" except maybe a little shakier,, so that may hinder you from getting the rest you need,, however,, you will probably find that your BRAIN will slow you down when needed,, often,, as I know sometimes I still feel as if I can hardly put one foot in front of the other until I lay down and nap even for just 15-20 min.. to give my brain time to rest and recoup... so give in when needed and don't feel "bad" about it right now,, plenty of time to get on with life after some recovery time.... again,,,,,,, just two more cents worth....
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

kixit

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2012, 12:30:08 pm »
Thanks kids for the advice. And I am listening but it's so hard for me because I am a go go go person. I went for recheck and suture removal today. Dr Kesser and Dr Nicolas couldn't believe it was just 10 days ago and I'm almost walking straight. The nystagmus is gone. I told him about the headaches and Dr Kesser said they sound like tension headaches (and I went on about my job) I have been released to go back to work next week (just 4 hrs a day to start to see if I can handle it) for 2 weeks then 8 hrs after that untill the next recheck July 30th (Happy Birthday to me, lol).

I think we are trying to stretch it out so hopefully by then I will have won my appeal for the BAHA. If I don't get that precious device I WILL lose my job no question (public safety) but would be placed elsewhere within local government. So I am hoping and praying Anthem listens to Cochlear and READS my personal letter about what it would mean to my life to have it.

All the information and advice I read on here has and will continue to help me through this journey in my life. The support is outstanding as well as the information.

Thanks so much for everyones thoughts and advice, I really do listen. ;D
Translab 5/24/12

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2012, 03:05:36 pm »
I think ''being normal" is important for your recovery. If you wear your self out, just take a nap. No lifting. Walking, dusting...good stuff.

James

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2012, 04:33:12 pm »
Adding my two cents here ..... the need to feel "normal" is hugely important in the recovery process.  Just watch the bending over and/or standing up too fast and trying to walk too soon upon standing.  Get your bearings first before walking or your brain will rebel with a headache.  Bending over is a "no no" for a month post-op (I was told this after all three of my craniotomies.)  Let someone else pick up what falls on the floor or sit down on a chair to reach and pick it up.

For what it's worth ..... my ear stuck out for several weeks after my translab.  It distressed me greatly at first, but once all of the swelling went down and things shifted back to their normal positions, the ear was back to normal.  At 13 months post-op, the area around the incision, still feels weird, but that is partly because of no sound is captured in that ear anymore.

Good luck ..... it really sounds like you are doing well.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

kixit

« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2012, 08:14:52 pm »
@Clarice-
Excellent advice. No bending over for me. I squat to get the dogfood out of the bin and into the food dishes. If I drop something and I try to grab it with my toes (comical) or if that doesn't work I'll squat or impatiently wait for someone to get it.

I also have to remind myself to slow my pace down (I walk fast) so my brain can catch up. Believe me I don't want to fall on my face or other parts and get them broken while my head is healing.

I am attempting to return to work next week. Just 4 hrs a day. If it's too much then it's too much and I'll take more time off. Believe me, I am in no way being pressured by anyone. ESPECIALLY my employer who has an exclusion in the Anthem health insurance for MY BAHA (yes said with anger!! lol)
Translab 5/24/12

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2012, 07:03:49 am »
@Clarice-
Excellent advice. No bending over for me. I squat to get the dogfood out of the bin and into the food dishes. If I drop something and I try to grab it with my toes (comical) or if that doesn't work I'll squat or impatiently wait for someone to get it.

I also have to remind myself to slow my pace down (I walk fast) so my brain can catch up. Believe me I don't want to fall on my face or other parts and get them broken while my head is healing.

I am attempting to return to work next week. Just 4 hrs a day. If it's too much then it's too much and I'll take more time off. Believe me, I am in no way being pressured by anyone. ESPECIALLY my employer who has an exclusion in the Anthem health insurance for MY BAHA (yes said with anger!! lol)

Thinking about picking up things they have that gadget to assist forgot the technical name. I had bought my dad and son one and now truly realize how convenient those gadgets are...

Good luck with going back to work.

Best Wishes,

lrobie

« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2012, 08:25:07 am »
Don't tell my husband about that gadget!   :)  I'm hoping he and my son will do all the picking up.

Lisa
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm
2/2012 UPMC Follow-up , slight growth
Surgery on 7/18/12 w/Drs. Friedman & Schwartz (mid-fossa)
www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisarobie

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2012, 12:51:05 pm »
Lisa I promise I will not tell.....hahaha....What gadget ????

Best Wishes,

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2012, 01:29:43 pm »
To no ones surprise, they're called 'grabbers' or 'reachers' and look like this....

My wife still has the one that we bought for her following her spinal surgery in '05. It's very handy.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.