Author Topic: newly diagnosed - scheduling surgery  (Read 15416 times)

jenichol

• Fear not, for I Am with you - Isaiah 41:10
Re: newly diagnosed - scheduling surgery
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2012, 07:37:53 am »
Thanks Karen.

I think a soft "blankie" is a great idea.   I am also thinking of some new PJs and slippers to have for after my surgery.  Maybe even a robe.  I like home decor and gardening magazines.  I am not sure how much I'll feel like doing in the hospital.  I just got a new laptop for mother's day but don't know if I'll take it.  Looking at the screen can give me a headache and also makes my head buzz more.   I do like to listen to scripture and music with a headphone in my good ear.  Did anyone do that or try?  I am not sure if I will be able to tolerate it after surgery.   Right now, it helps me to fall asleep some nights. 

As far as working out, I'm just trying to go into the surgery and recovery as strong as I can be.  I don't have an extra 15 to 20 pounds to lose either.  Maybe I can think about a higher protein diet to help me build more muscle, as that would be what I would lose if I lost that much weight.

It makes me chuckle that they ordered a psych eval while you were in rehab.  As a physical therapist, I know that patient attitude makes all the difference in their rehab potential.  Glad they didn't label you "crazy".  If we weren't all a little bit crazy, we might go insane.  I stole that line from Jimmy Buffett. 

On another note, prayer is definitely what sustains me.   I am trying to pray for others less fortunate than me and give thanks in my circumstances.  There are always blessings to be counted.  I do pray for strength and wisdom, which I know God will grant me.  Thanks so much for your prayers.  I am praying for all of you too.

Jan 
48 yo female --3+cm right sided AN. Retro sig removal 6-22-12 at UVA.  SSD right ear.  HA.  Constant Loud Tinnitus. Fullness. Imbalance.

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2012, 08:35:58 am »
Hi Jan!! I just wanted to add my welcome! I wish you good luck as you get through this little "hiccup" in your life. It is a life changer, but as "the other Jan" said, there is life after surgery and it sounds like you have a great support system and a good attitude so you should have no problems!  As far as life in the hospital, unless your recovery is just spectacular you probably won't be wanting to do much reading.  A common after effect is balance and having the eyes staying on track with things for the first few weeks.  Again, everyone is different and you should take everything you can think of just in case, but don't be too surprised if all you want to do is lay on the bed! :)  Take care and let us know how it goes as you continue on! :)
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

KBL

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2012, 02:35:58 pm »
 :D Howdy!
They might cautious you about having a laptop in the hospital, because it could "walk off". 
As far as music while in the hospital, I found I liked silence in my recovery.  I didn't even turn the TV on for the first 2 weeks.  I guess my brain had enough to deal with from just the surgery.
To this day when I have had enough stimulation in the day, I will retreat to the bedroom and have total silence.
Karen
5.6 cm. left side retrosigmoid surgery January 2010.  Dr. Villavicencio, Boulder, CO  Cyberknife April 2010  Left side  facial paresis started September 2010.  Gold weight implant Dec. 2010.  Total hearing loss on left side.  As of today, tumor still appox. 28x18x8 mm

jenichol

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2012, 07:08:34 pm »
Thanks you all  for sharing your experiences and thoughts.  I thought I may not feel up to doing much in the hospital.  It makes since that any additional brain stimuli immediately post op may be aggravating.  Sounds like I can plan on resting and hopefully walking the hall.  I thought about the laptop being a valuable too--So I will plan on leaving it at home. 

Thanks for the welcome Jay.  I will keep you all posted regarding my progress and I am sure that I will have more questions as surgery date approaches.

Oh, by the way, I just found out my 10 yr old hound dog has lymphoma and the vet gave him 3 wks to 3 months to live.  Poor guy.  :( This has really saddened us and we are hoping he can go peacefully and be comfortable has he endures his last days.  My husband is a little concerned about caring for a sick dog and his wife.  Please pray for us as we figure this piece of the puzzle out. 

Jan
48 yo female --3+cm right sided AN. Retro sig removal 6-22-12 at UVA.  SSD right ear.  HA.  Constant Loud Tinnitus. Fullness. Imbalance.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2012, 05:20:45 pm »
If we weren't all a little bit crazy, we might go insane.  I stole that line from Jimmy Buffett. 

Some of my favorite JB lyrics - If we weren't all crazy, we would go insane  ;D

Are you a Parrothead, Jan?

I am - and so is my partner in crime Lori (lori67) and Captain Deb.  Probably others on the Forum, too.

The other Jan

Sorry for the hijack, Phyl  ::)
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2012, 07:37:49 pm »
Sorry for the hijack, Phyl  ::)

ahem!  This Parrothead would like this topic back on track please! Thanks! :) Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2012, 10:03:08 pm »
Damn!  You always find me, don't you  ;D

>:D
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

jenichol

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2012, 02:39:12 pm »
Hi Jan

Yeah I do like Jimmy Buffet's music.  He was the first concert I ever saw.  That was back in 1975 and there were no Parrot Heads or crazy hats back then.  I have seen him many times in concert.  His music always reminds be of my childhood and youth, growing up on the water and beaches of Charleston, SC.   One of my favorite places to be is on the beach.  Especially now, because it makes the buzzing in my head less noticeable.  I have suggested that maybe I need to go live on a tropical island where the sound of waves, birds, crickets and frogs can drown out the noise in my head.   Wonder if a I can get a prescription for that and get my insurance to cover relocation.  :D  " I wanna go back, to the islands, where the shrimp boats tie up to the pilings.  Give me oysters and beer for dinner everyday of the year and I'll feel fine." :)

Jan

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2012, 03:36:36 am »
Damn!  You always find me, don't you  ;D

>:D

Yup... and kindly asking that this discussion get back on topic regarding those that are newly diagnosed/considering surgical treatment.... Thanks! :)
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

jenichol

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2012, 10:19:06 am »
HUH??? Could someone please fill me in? :D

New Jan

Chances3

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2012, 11:33:42 am »
Hi Jan,

I'm a little late in replying to your original post back in early May.  First let me welcome you to this little community.  The people here are for real !!  They care!! 

I had surgery 19 months ago, and I am recovering back to a normal life again.  From what I read you're in good shape, you have your faith and your family, what else could we ask for.  It's human nature to have anxiety over any type of surgery, but the thought of brain surgery can be a little scary.  I remember walking my dog the night before my operation and saying to myself - " What are you crazy, you're having brain surgery tomorrow".

Surgery has come a very long way in the past 30-40 years and that is the good news.  So try and not dwell on it, and enjoy the spring, I'm sure by end of summer you will be doing fine.  Please post before your surgical day, so I can pray for you.  There will be many others here at ANA who would like to do the same.

Keep the faith and God Bless.

nandallas

• 7 years post-op
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2012, 04:29:36 pm »
Hi Jan,
you have had alot of encouraging words from your AN family and I will just say you will be in my prayers as well. The Lord will get you through. I was recently diagnosed as well and contemplating surgery. Seeking God on it. I know all will be well though. God bless you. God will get you and your family through as you already know.

Nicole
6mm AN right side,Diagnosed January 2012, Middle Fossa performed at UT Southwestern by Otolaryngologist Dr. Walter Kutz & Neurosurgeon Dr. Mickey & it was a success! By Gods grace & mercy in Yeshua's name(Jesus). Most hearing preserved.

jenichol

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2012, 06:59:35 pm »
Thanks so much Chances3

I am trying to enjoy each day and not dwell on the surgery. But of course people always ask how I am doing and many of them want to know if I am scared.  I answer honestly, and say that it makes me scared to think about the actual surgery.  I tell them that I am trying to think on things that are lovely and that just doesn't fit into the category -- maybe for a neurosurgeon -- but not me.  I am so thankful to have such great medical care in the US.  I am glad that we have very smart and skilled surgeons that have dedicated so much time and effort to be able to help people like us.  What a Blessing!  I thank God for them. 

I look forward to recovering and getting back to a "normal" life.  I realize that our bodies are never the same after major surgery.  I am confident that the blessings will continue post op.   Thanks so much for your prayers.  I hope that I can stay dedicated to this forum, to help and encourage others as they face the challenge of an AN.

Jan

jenichol

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2012, 07:08:17 pm »
Thanks Nicole

You are right.  So much encouragement from this group.  I have never chatted or talked with people on a computer.  I don't even Facebook.  This has been such a great wealth of information and help.  I am so glad to have found ANA.  I will pray for you also as you seek God's direction in your decision.  He will give the peace to know you are doing the right thing.

Jan

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2012, 12:13:34 pm »
HUH??? Could someone please fill me in? :D

New Jan

Once in a while we get off topic in a thread - what we call hijacking - and that doesn't sit too well with Phyl.  We just do it to have fun - and (truth be told) sometimes to see if she'll catch us  >:D  My partner in crime, Lori (lori67) and I are pretty big hijackers, although Lori doesn't get to the Forum too often these days; she spends more time on FB  :'(

I should note that Phyl does allow us to have fun - and to post about non-AN things - but those posts are supposed to be in the AN Community area.

Now, back to the topic at hand.  See, Phyl, I'm policing myself  ;)

I hate rules!!

The other Jan