Author Topic: Tomorrow Surgery!  (Read 13499 times)

justducky

Tomorrow Surgery!
« on: February 08, 2011, 01:51:48 pm »
Tomorrow, Wed 2/9 is Tom's scheduled surgery .... 7:30 am. Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers. It's also my birthday. My best b-day gift will be him coming out of this with no big issues. He's having the Translabyrinthine surgery. Thanks in advance for your support. I will let you know the outcome.
Husband with AN 2.1 x 1.2 cm right ear. Had translab surgery 2/9/11. Recovering nicely. No facial nerve damage.

Kaybo

Re: Tomorrow Surgery!
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 03:43:16 pm »
I will be praying...for the surgery and Tom...and for you to have PEACE for a good night's sleep and during that time!
Let us know how it goes. please.

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 03:50:26 pm »
Be assured that many good thoughts and sincere prayers will be with you and your husband on Wednesday.  I'm sure the operation will go well.  I look forward to your 'report'.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 04:17:09 pm »
Many thoughts and prayers for both you and Tom.  Sometimes being the caregiver is almost as stressful as being the patient.

Prayers for successful surgery and uneventful recovery for Tom and prayers for peace and strength for you.

Let us know how you both are doing.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Mickey

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 04:40:51 pm »
Thoughts and prayers are with you. Best wishes, Mickey

justducky

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 04:42:31 pm »
Thank you so much everyone! I'll keep youposted.
Husband with AN 2.1 x 1.2 cm right ear. Had translab surgery 2/9/11. Recovering nicely. No facial nerve damage.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 08:12:32 pm »
Barb -

best of luck to Tom tomorrow; he's in excellent hands.  Dr. Kazan was my neurosurgeon and he's one of the best.  I just loved him - except for his daily hospital visits @ 6:30 a.m.  :(  Why he couldn't stop and see me at noon, I'll never know.  I asked him a few times, but he just chuckled.  Dr. Wiet has an excellent reputation and is very experienced at AN surgery.  The two have worked together as a team for many, many years.

Take care of yourself - AN surgery is hard on loved ones and caregivers also.  Tomorrow will probably be very nerve-wracking for you; but hang in there.

Happy birthday and if you need some "live" support, don't hesitate to call me.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 08:56:10 pm »
Barb,

This time tomorrow you'll be enjoying your birthday present - he'll even be wrapped.  Well, at least his head will be.   ;)

We'll all be thinking of you both and waiting to hear a good report.

Don't forget to take care of YOU!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 10:56:57 pm »
I'll be sending prayers, good thoughts & vibes your way so that the surgery is uneventful & your birthday a happy one.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

justducky

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 07:16:04 am »

Hi All,
Tom's surgery wennt just fine....they got the whole tumor out, biopsy showed benign, and facial nerve is 'in-tact'!!!!
The docs said that they stimulated his nerve and it's fine. He said that Tom MAY show a little eye or mouth issue, but that it would definitely get better because there was no damage during surgery.

He's currently in ICU and was sleeping alll day. The nurses warned me that today could be a veryhard day for him as his right side now has no balance and today could be the wild dizzy/nauseous day.

Thanks to all of you who are here for us and are praying.
Willl give more information as i kknow more. Love to you all!
Barb,

This time tomorrow you'll be enjoying your birthday present - he'll even be wrapped.  Well, at least his head will be.   ;)

We'll all be thinking of you both and waiting to hear a good report.

Don't forget to take care of YOU!

Lori

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 07:24:25 am »
So glad Tom's surgery went as expected and he is doing well.  Yes, the first three days are kind of a bummer but after that things usually improve very quickly.  He may or may not be unstable ..... depending upon how long his vestibular nerve was affected before surgery.  His brain may have already begun to compensate before surgery.  If not, as soon as he feels up to it, encourage him to walk as much as he can.  Walking really speeds up the compensation.

Hope you had a little birthday time yesterday with friends or family with you ..... not an especially fun way to celebrate, however, as you know.

Tell Tom many prayers were being said for him ..... and still are for both of you.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Nazaz

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 09:10:09 am »
I wish good luck to Tom for the surgery and happy birthday to you.Witing for the good news.I am sure he will be fine
Nazaz

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2011, 09:51:51 am »
Very glad to read that Tom's surgery went well and they got the whole tumor. that's great news!

I hope the recovery goes well for everyone.

-Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

lori67

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2011, 10:37:35 am »
GREAT news!  That's the best birthday present ever!  And you had one fewer person to share your cake with!   ;)

The first few days are rough, but once he's up and moving around, I think you'll be amazed at how fast things improve.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

justducky

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2011, 11:20:17 am »

Thank you everyone!! I am sitting with  him now. The staff is trying to encourage him to move around and open his eyes. i can see that when he does open his eyes they are jittery but they said that it's better than yesterday (didn't see his eyes yesterday). PT is going to be in this afternoon and want him to sit on the side of the bed at least.

He really doesn't want to move for fear of nausea, but the nurses here are wonderful and they are quick to help with the nausea when he has it. I'mhoping for a good PT experience this afternoon.

So glad Tom's surgery went as expected and he is doing well.  Yes, the first three days are kind of a bummer but after that things usually improve very quickly.  He may or may not be unstable ..... depending upon how long his vestibular nerve was affected before surgery.  His brain may have already begun to compensate before surgery.  If not, as soon as he feels up to it, encourage him to walk as much as he can.  Walking really speeds up the compensation.

Hope you had a little birthday time yesterday with friends or family with you ..... not an especially fun way to celebrate, however, as you know.

Tell Tom many prayers were being said for him ..... and still are for both of you.

Clarice