Author Topic: Decision made  (Read 13207 times)

Cheryl R

Re: Decision made
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2010, 06:16:17 am »
My beta transferrin test was sent out to be done and this was at a big teaching unversity so think maybe it is not a simple routine one.              One can have the nose run just from eating and being active and get warm.    So that is why is hard to tell about it.       My surgeon only says is a leak if bend the head way over and the fluid has to drip out like a faucet and can even atake a bit of time.      My nose runs on the left with eating a lot.            On the right when I get too warm.      I've had surgery on both sides with NF2  and also had a CSF leak.           No headache, no salty tastge but just the drip from the nose.   
                                  Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Lita

« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2010, 08:27:28 am »
Hi Cheryl, is this waht ou have after surgery or with CSF leak" My nose runs on the left with eating a lot.            On the right when I get too warm.      " Big help thanks for letting me know. Too chickento leanj forward. had amt this am about 1 Qtip side.

Cheryl R

« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2010, 08:05:48 pm »
Lita, I am NF2 and have had 3 tumors and 4 surgeries (the one being the leak  fixing surgery)  The left with eating and the right when active and warm is now,     Last surgery was 2 yrs ago.      The leak was on the  other side and 4 yrs ago so have had and still do have runny nose on both sides.          My surgeon had us do the bend over test at 3 days post op and then at home whenever needed to determine if a true leak.      Several ANers have ended up with runny nose with eating or activity.   I know right after surgery it is worrisome so can you ask questions thru the nurses or a resident where you had surgery.     I go to Univ of Iowa and they are good about being called to answer our questions.                     A leak is usually constant and not just with eating.
                                                 Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Lita

« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2010, 04:53:26 am »

Having the best day yet yesterday, called re the wetness on one side, clear.  Unfortunately it was just befor you posted and did not see the drip drip part yet (i NOT have) Md called back and wantedchecked at NYU instyructed on call about drain and I was convincedi was in for a nasty ordeal. A friend had referred to her hosbnd's horror store re csf drain as excruciating on other occasssion - not at this time regarding me. I lost it as had been feeling so much better and any bravery disappeared.     Checked in er many time tested with no true drip driip and could go home  felt so emotionally drained.
Cheryl what you went through all those timesdont know how even if over years, too much. Sorry you have nf2. Not read around much cause focussed on plans before   and now too dizzy and no sound and loud imaginary sound and double. Tomorrow NYU eye and surgeons.
you right beta TEST need lot of fluid so dont do routinely. I had total in day not ecven 1/4 teasp

today is eat and peace dau/

Darlene

« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2010, 06:03:29 pm »
Lita,
Just checking in hope you are doing ok?  The first few weeks after surgery are tough, I hope they are not made worse by complications.  I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers!   
Darlene
DX: 12/6/08
1.4cm intracanicular -Middle Fossa Surgery on 7/1/09 @ NYU. Hearing preserved and speech discrimination has actually gotten better!!   Temporary Facial Paralysis- showing improvement.  1yr post-op hearing test- same 96% speech recognition- yeah!

Lita

« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2010, 06:56:39 am »
Hi Darlene, getting better and trying to get used to the sensory changes. Can finally see computer and type. Not yet navigate around much though. Now I am 2 weeks three days. No CSF leak, just trickle behind nostril for a few days. Spared hospitalization and procedures - didn't move was petrified. If you don't mind me going over them, I have tinnitus that sounds like a white noise machine is on a high volume and strapped to my operated side. I don't seem to hear anything in that ear except for the this (had other tinnitus presurgery). Voices I want to hear sound in the background to the tinnitus which is damn annoying. From what I read here before this is something I can continue to have and there are some things I can try to handle this. My surgeon's associate told me she felt it may go, but it is unknown when.

Balance is problem, can walk with a walker. Feel disequilibrium would describe it best and there is some altered vision such as double vision and movement sensations in some gazes. Gentle tipping like on a boat somewhat whether I move head. Given simple eye exercises for double vision. Can't tell if vertigo or dizziness or balance or vision specifically, just seems not right. Is this wonky? Doctor mentions evaluation at one month with possible vestibular or eye therapy depending on symptoms at that time. Emotions and concentration not normal yet.

Did everyone get contacted about path report by doctor or at follow-up? Since almost always normal presume just normal AN? Is a neuroma exactly the same as schwannoma? Could not find during a search.

I guess next week I should move to post-treatment with my notes on the  bottom. Someone help me move? Thanks all. I still read a little here every day, really nice people. Thanks Darlene.