Author Topic: Surgery over! Doing well !  (Read 14119 times)

Vivian B.

Re: Surgery over! Doing well !
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2009, 11:58:30 am »
Hi Melinda,

Glad that you are doing well. Great news!

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2009, 12:31:38 pm »
OH I soooh like to hear good news.  :)

So glad that you are getting good care there with HOUSE and St. Vincent's.

Keep us updated!

DHM :)
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2009, 01:43:19 pm »
Hey Melinda..... oh, you double-postie. I'm soooooo thrilled to hear you are doing ok. I've been thinking of you.  You KNOW I'm sending the healing hugglez and wellness wishes. You've been through enough.... now time for you to use my quote noted here in my sig line ;)

xoxox
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2009, 05:26:41 pm »
Melinda,
  SO glad you are beyond the waiting and past the surgery.  It sounds like your doing well.  Your newly found tinnitus sounds like mine is.  SCREAMING LOUD.  I pray that it is  loud right now  because it is just post op and that it will quiet down once things settle down in there.  Over the years as I was loosing hearing I never really realized it because I just thought I couldn't hear over the million frequencies of ringing.  After surgery it did get louder and like you said, hard to tell about the hearing because of the tinnitus.   I had a dream the other night that I went in and had the second surgery, and woke to complete silence in that ear.
Can dreams come true.  sure hope it does for you.  Well see when I go in for round 2.

take care of yourself,  be patient it all takes time.

patti ut
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2009, 06:14:43 pm »
Success...Glad to hear your surgery is over and you are doing well! Keep us updated.

Kate
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

mellowrama

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2009, 08:44:58 am »
thanks all! :)  I'm doing better than I would've hoped for, will see the docs today for followup and get their input.

My partner took me out to dinner the other night,  ;)  Neither of us was thinking much about it but it was awful....loud valley girls with obnoxious music!  Wow, that was a rude awakening....will plan out where to go better in the future.   I have a bit of salty/bitter taste bud action, hope this goes away or I'll be changing my fav foods!
Eating like crazy, I suppose the steroid decadron is working.

My balance is quickly coming back!  I think the tinnitus might be a bit better, and I'm anxious to find out more about Hyperacusis.  Maybe just getting used to things being different will help. 

The physical therapist told my parter to push me, so we did the LA county museum yesterday!  Special exhibit on Pompeii - I was in a wheel chair and it did tire me, but it was sooooo great!!!!!

22mm x 19mm x 12mm CyberKnife  9/25/2006 BNI Dr. Daspit/Dr. Smith/Dr. Brachman
Failed radiation - regrowth to 2.6cm 
Translab Surgery w/ House Docs 8/26/2009 Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz, SSD, tinnitus. 
Baha surgery with Dr. Baker in OKC nov 2009
Baha revision surgery by Dr. Horn in ABQ 8/2011

alicia

• it is well
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2009, 08:48:46 am »
Melinda - so glad to hear you are doing great.  You have made excellent progress.  Make sure you still take those naps!  Can you smell the smoke from the fires there?  Alicia
02/16/18 III to IV post GK Facial Paralysis
12/13/17 Gamma Knife
05/19/09 Translab Larger than expected - Drs used the word "tangerine"   House - Friedman and Schwartz
04/02/09 Diagnosed Left AN 3.2cm x 2.6cm x 2.7cm

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2009, 09:28:26 am »
Melinda,
  You may not feel like it, but it sounds like your recover is going well.   The taste change should go away with time.  Try dark choclate!
Regards,
  Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

moe

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2009, 09:44:33 am »
Melinda,
You are doing amazingly well! Out to eat, and a museum?????
That is a true test of your recovery skills with all the noise.
Remember to listen to your body cues. It took me quite a while to feel whole again, though I had issues with anemia/blood loss post op.
So as we say, rest, walk, drink, eat, rest, walk, eat, drink repeat cycle......
Don't try to impress anyone! Only yourself. Slow and steady.
Some days you may feel great, over do it, and maybe feel it the next day. This is normal recovery BTW.
Keep us updated ;)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

jays

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2009, 11:40:46 am »
Contragulations Melinda!!

Glad to hear everything went fine. 

I'll be checking into Seton on Monday, and will have my surgery on Wednesday!!   I am looking forward to joining you in Postie land very soon.   ;D

left AN
4mm x 7mm
Middle Fossa microsurgery at House Clinic 09/09/09 Dr. Fayad and Dr. Schwartz
SSD

Jackie

« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2009, 05:04:17 pm »
Congratulations Melinda, sounds like another successful outcome! Now just be good to yourself and heal!!! May your blessings be many,
Jackie
9mm x 11mm Right Side AN mild Tinnitis, and 60% hearing loss
Diagnosed 02/04/2007
Nov.13th, diagnosed with 5mm Meningioma
9/24/08 diagnosed with Aneurysm
Wait and watch per ENT's advice and researching my options!!! What's next???

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2009, 06:33:23 pm »
WOW Melinda you sound great!!!

I am so happy you did not have to endure facial paralysis. I think it was at least a month before I went out for lunch.
Rest and take it easy.
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

mellowrama

« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2009, 12:10:31 am »
Yippie I'm finally home!    ;D  Officially a toatie postie.

Although I was released wed after stitches were removed (1 week after surgery) we had flights scheduled for today (sat).  Hanged around the Redondo beach area and laid low, good r&r.  Everyday is better and easier.  I can't believe how good I feel and no pain!  I really feel almost back to myself, and have to remind myself not to pick up heavy stuff, etc. 

I'm holding my breath as steroids are wearing off (good thing cuz I'm eating like a pig) and hoping that the tinnitus calms down more.  By far the most difficult times are in restaurants, and in the car with my friends it was hard to follow conversation, I expect this will get easier as I learn to cope ssd?  Or maybe a baha.

My ear and side of head is numb still, guess this is normal.  My balance must have been compromised pre-surgery as I've adjusted so easily. 

One of my original docs had told me to come in for possible surgery in Jan, I'm so GLAD I didn't wait!  The stress was so bad and I didn't realize it until it was over!
Jays and Cheryl I'll be waiting for ya'll in postie land,

Particularly after the failed radiation and success of the surgery I feel so lucky! 
happy and relieved, melinda
22mm x 19mm x 12mm CyberKnife  9/25/2006 BNI Dr. Daspit/Dr. Smith/Dr. Brachman
Failed radiation - regrowth to 2.6cm 
Translab Surgery w/ House Docs 8/26/2009 Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz, SSD, tinnitus. 
Baha surgery with Dr. Baker in OKC nov 2009
Baha revision surgery by Dr. Horn in ABQ 8/2011

joebloggs

« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2009, 02:28:04 am »
You're so right - you don't realise how stressed you are about this until after the op and you just breath this massive sigh of relief that it's all over eh?  I'm really happy for you to be past all the horribleness! 
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2009, 04:44:32 am »
thanks all! :) 
 Special exhibit on Pompeii - I was in a wheel chair and it did tire me, but it was sooooo great!!!!!

Melinda,

I was fascinated by the Pompeii exhibit when it was in Chicago!

I am glad to hear that you feel the relief of a successful surgery and that you are home now.  Just think how you will feel in January knowing that you are four months post op...

Kate
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/