Author Topic: Surgery over! Doing well !  (Read 14117 times)

mellowrama

Surgery over! Doing well !
« on: August 31, 2009, 03:29:58 pm »
 :) :)
I'm so happy and relived that the surgery is over, I think the waiting was as difficult as anything else. 
8 hours to remove the tumor, I think due to stickiness's on the facial nerve, but the docs seem to have salvaged it well as I have minimal side effect.  99% of tumor removed.  Some dry eye and balance issues.

Wed Day 1 - totally out of it in ICU
Day 2/3  Felt like I'd been hit by a truck,arrrggg.  The pain from the incision wasn't too bad, but all the tubes, bad veins, and then nausea and lots of loud tinnitus really takes it out of ya.  I think the anti-nausea med really made me worse, and once that was fixed and I could eat things got tremendously better!

Sun Day 4/5 - new life.  Learning to take it slow, doing well with the balance (evidently was mostly gone prior to surgery) and adjusting to fatigue and tinnitus.  I still have not had final follow up with docs but suspect all went exceptionally well, except of course  I'm sure that I'm SSD.  This tinnitus things is bad, its not as bad missing hearing as it is constant noise.  And my good ear seems very sensitive to all noises....I think I'll start wearing an ear plug.  This was a surprise.
They released me a day early, and I'm glad of it since it seems to help me recover much faster/better away from the hospital.

All the faculty at both House and St. Vincents has been awesome!  The doctors were amazing, Dr. Goddard (in for Friedman) was especially great.  And thanks so much to Nancy for visiting me prior to surgery, it really did make a huge  difference for me to hear her story.

melinda
22mm x 19mm x 12mm CyberKnife  9/25/2006 BNI Dr. Daspit/Dr. Smith/Dr. Brachman
Failed radiation - regrowth to 2.6cm 
Translab Surgery w/ House Docs 8/26/2009 Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz, SSD, tinnitus. 
Baha surgery with Dr. Baker in OKC nov 2009
Baha revision surgery by Dr. Horn in ABQ 8/2011

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
Re: Surgery over! Doing well !
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 03:38:01 pm »
Congratulations, Postie!!  The LA bunch are awesome.  I'm glad to hear you are experiencing only a few of the after effects of the surgery.  Sending good thoughts and healing wishes and many prayers your way for a speedy recovery.  One word of advice.  Actually a couple, take it slow and be kind to yourself.
Hugs,
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 03:38:49 pm »
Hey, Melinda, that's great!  Your experience sounds very much like mine.  Just to comfort you a little, my increased tinnitus did abate two or three months later, and the hypersensitive good ear seems to have calmed a little as well.
Good luck with continued smooth recovery.
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 04:01:58 pm »
Milenda ~

Welcome to 'Postie Land!

Thanks for the comprehensive update and congratulations on your successful surgery.  I know many others join me in being very happy to learn of your good outcome.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

tenai98

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 04:15:20 pm »
Melinda
welcome to podtie land...Cant comment on the tinnutus as mine disappeared (poof gone) post surgery...
Make sure you get lots of rest...naps...and walk when you can as it does help
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 05:08:47 pm »
Melinda:

Welcome to postieland! You'll be amazed at how fast your balance improves during the first few weeks.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 05:29:15 pm »
Melinda .....

It is good to read your post-op report.  So sorry about the tinnitus and hyperacusis (I can identify!!) but glad everything seems to be OK.  Rest as much as you can this next week and then be sure to listen to your body as you start exercising/walking more ..... you will still need rest in between walks.

Thoughts and prayers continue.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Lilan

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 05:51:46 pm »
Mellow, congrats! Wow, that came and went quickly (well, for me in the peanut gallery -- prob not so much for you!) "Over" is the best!  :D
Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

cindyj

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 07:05:04 pm »
Hey, Melinda!  So good to hear from you!  Sounds like you're doing great!  The noise oddness should settle down before too long and, hopefully, your tinnitus will quiet down a bit some.  Yes, the good ear becomes very, very good at hearing...

Take it easy - will feel so good to get those stiches out and wash the hair - won't be too long now!

Cindy

(So glad you were able to meet Nancy :) )
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

sgerrard

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 10:50:58 pm »
Wow, great result! Best wishes and take it easy. Another case of "surgery was harder" but "outcome was no worse" after radiation.  :)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

joebloggs

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2009, 11:23:19 pm »
That's so awesome!  You've totally rocked it!  Well done love!!  Now just to get you on a paddleboard!!!!
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2009, 06:47:57 am »
Welcome back Melinda.

Glad you're a postie!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2009, 06:54:11 am »
Great news, Mellinda!  Glad you're on the other side.  Take it easy and one step at a time.

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

another NY postie

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2009, 07:17:33 am »
You sound great, Melinda!  I am headed to House/Seton on 21st so your synopsis helps a lot.  Can't wait to follow your progress!
Cheryl
5 mm lateral IAC (impacted?) diagnosed 6-09-09
middle fosa 9/23 HEI - Brackmann/Schwartz
all tumor gone, facial perfect, no ringing
SSD on right side - Rockin' and Rollin'

Mickey

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2009, 07:39:27 am »
Great news! a speedy recovery, best wishes, Mickey