Author Topic: Hearing Test Results-6 Months  (Read 2690 times)

Dealy

Hearing Test Results-6 Months
« on: December 27, 2006, 07:53:52 am »
Yesterday I had my 6 month MRI and Hearing Test after completion of FSR Radiation on 7/10/06. This was my 6 month follow-up. I will not have results from MRI until at least Friday of this week. However I wanted to post results of my hearing test because there were questions from some regarding hearing aids etc. My hearing decreased fom 96% to 90% in 3 months. My Audiologist thought this was still pretty good. Now in so far as Hearing Aid is concerned. All sound from my AN ear is muffled and distorted. My Audiologist figured he could be able to adapt a digital hearing aid to correct the distortion. Here is the problem though according to Him-at 90% hearing-he felt a hearing aid could actually damage this remaining portion of hearing since it is designed to amplify sound. Also-being only 6 months out from radiation there is no gurantee that hearing has stabalized. So unfortunately for me-hearing aids are out at this time. So for those with questions concern benefits of hearing aids-Yes they can be adapted to aid heaing if you have enough left in AN ear and tumor has not scared hearing nerve. For those with invasive surgery-this is really out of the question-I am speaking only for those with Radiation. In other words-their is a chance hearing aids will benefit depending on degree of hearing left and if it has stabalized or not. Considering each situation is different so this is coming from only my situation. For Newbies- I am an NF2-this is more critical since I have only one hearing ear to hear out of now-and this is the one affected by a 2.7 CM AN. They are taking my server down from my Internet service today so I wanted to get this posted before this happens. So anyone who desired to e-mail me will not have any luck until late this evening or Thursday. Ron

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Hearing Test Results-6 Months
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 08:47:12 am »
Hi Ron and thanks for sharing this.....

In my dicussions with radio-oncologists (CK/GK/FSR), they all seem to quote that hearing retention (on average) typically remains (post-treat) within 5%-7% of what the hearing was at time of treatment.

Based on my last hearing test in October (my 6-mos post treat), I only lost 10-15 db, low tones being my issue and minute change in voice recognition.... so I'm still, doing ok....... Not considering a hearing aid at all as I'm still hearing well......

Please keep us posted on your MRI....keeping fingers crossed for good news!

Happy holidays
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 05:01:05 pm »
 :)

Quick note:  (as the skies are blue and 31 degrees coming in for this evening)  I'm on the generator, again.......still, no power. 

Branches are snapping off the redwoods and flying but, no rain right now.  I just wanted to let you know that I really enjoyed reading the informative information about six mo. post radiation, and the hearing test.  I learned lots from reading that.

I do have to turn this computer over to the husband for his quick check.  (we need to use the generator on the refrigerator, right now.....or soon)

I'm still safe with my dogs, for those wondering.

Again.......thank you for such a good post and good luck,

Palace
22 mm Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
Cyberknife, Nov. & Dec. 2006
Dr. Iris Gibbs & Dr. Blevins @ Stanford
single sided deafness

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2006, 07:36:09 pm »
I was told that I could lose my hearing in my AN ear up to 5 years post GK...  So you still probably have some time even though you had a different type of procedure.  How did you do with the voice recognition test?  Did amplification help?   

GM
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

Battyp

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2006, 09:29:40 am »
Ron I had a 6 mos hearing check and a 13 mos one and they were different.  I had surgery so not sure with radiosurgery what they say but I don't think I'd rush to do anything for a little while since I know mine changed between the post surgery to the one year mark.