Author Topic: BAHA frequency adjustments  (Read 3653 times)

grega

BAHA frequency adjustments
« on: April 26, 2012, 11:21:51 am »
Hi all.
Will see my audi'gist tomorrow for annual hearing test and BAHA check.  My BP100 has 3 channels.  I'd like to ask that as much high frequency as possible be removed from the "noisy" channel, in order to hear better in restaurants, carpool, rooms with crappy acoustics, etc.  Or perhaps raise the low-frequencies settings .... did I say that right?

Anyone with the BP100, please raise your hand .... OK ... any recommendations about how much high-frequency reduction could be too much? Since the audi's office is quiet, I can't quickly make checks to see if the adjustments are working. 

And have any of you had 2 channels programmed a bit differently for noisy situations, that would allow you to choose between the two?

Thanks for any advice .... you may now put down your hands.

Keep smiling!

Greg
1.5 cm AN retrosig 11/04.
Drs. Henry Brem & Michael Holliday @ Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
SSD right. Tinnitus big-time, only when thinking of it.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
Re: BAHA frequency adjustments
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 11:43:20 am »
Two things: Your hearing is different than mine, so it is like comparing apples and oranges. Secondly, how would you quantify when enough is enough????? I know what you are talking about, but I cannot answer your question. I will now put my head on my desk and fall asleep. All my channels are different, but my good ear is so bad, I'm just happy to hear anything, and changing channels helps sometimes, but not every time. Maybe your audi has a tone generator and can test you that way.

James

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 02:40:08 pm »
I have a Oticon Ponto Pro, not a BP100, but the principle is the same.  I have to agree with James that much depends upon the level of hearing and/or loss you have in your good ear.  In my case, I have above normal hearing in my only hearing ear, plus aggravating hyperacusis so my audiologist has greatly minimized the high frequency settings and increased the low frequency settings for me.  It works well unless I am in a very noisy environment, such as a super loud restaurant, movie theaters, etc.  Then I put my musician's earplug in my good ear and it comes out just about right.  The plug blocks out those annoying high frequencies so I can still hear well with what comes through, plus the Ponto input.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

grega

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 08:14:54 am »
Thanks James and Clarice, for your input .... good points.  My hearing ear is pretty good, with only some high-freq'y loss.  And yes, I too use an ear plug to help me hear in very noisy places.  Have not heard of a tone generator .... except the one that produces those very very quiet tones that I have to battle to hear over my tinnitus.  I'll ask if I can be tested regarding noisy environments.

I'll take your comments with me for the makings of a good discussion.

Stay well!

Greg
1.5 cm AN retrosig 11/04.
Drs. Henry Brem & Michael Holliday @ Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
SSD right. Tinnitus big-time, only when thinking of it.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 11:43:14 am »
My BP100 has factory settings - program 1 is for small, quiet environments; program 2 is for larger, louder, environments; program 3 is for music (I use it with my MP3 adapter). 

I also have my feedback manager turned off.

This works well for me, but as James and Clarice said, everyone's hearing is different.

The BP100 can be programmed (via computer) by your audiologist using your audiogram.  Ask your audi if he/she knows how to do that.   If not, he/she should contact Cochlear for more info.

Good luck,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

keithk

• Cochlear Awareness Volunteer (Chapter Leader)
    • Retrosigmoid Surgery
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 08:57:30 am »
I have a BP100. The programming for setting 1 and 2 are identical. The feed back manager for setting 1 is on and for 2 is off. That seems to work for me. I found this link was posted on this board some time back. I have used it and now I feel my BAHA is right where I want it.

http://professionals.cochlearamericas.com/sites/default/files/BUN030-Quick-Guide-to-Programming-Baha-3.pdf
AN surgery 8/19/10, 9.5 hrs
8mm x 5mm left side
Retrosigmoid, Drs Reichert & Harvey
Severe hearing loss in the left ear before surgery. SSD after surgery. Balance issues. Tinnitus (mild). Buzzing in left ear.
BAHA implant surgery 11/17/10
BAHA activation 2/1/11