Author Topic: Tearing  (Read 2072 times)

Dfcman

Tearing
« on: June 07, 2007, 12:00:38 am »
  I have a gold weight in my eyelid so my eye closes and have/had eyedrops for dry eye.  The past few weeks, i've been having excessive tearing on my AN side.  My facial rehab therapist guy in Pittsburgh(Todd)  said it could be a good thing or bad thing.  He didnt really explain it too well, but he said that it could be a sign of nerves regenerating.  I am about 11 months post op and had a 12/7 nerve anastamosis about 7 months ago. 

For those of you who dont know, a 12/7 is a grafting of your tounge nerve to your lower facial nerve which controls smiling.  Its starting to work a little now.  You cant really see much, but it shows an improvement on an EMG when I touch my tounge in the roof of my mouth.  Kinda like sayin the letter "n   So basically like a starter and has to be used to kinda guide the smile.

Either way i'm assuming its a good thing (I like to try sometimes to be optomistic), but I just wonder if anyone else has had similar experiences.

Chris
Son of Chrissmom
23 Years Old
AIM is the best way to contact me
5.3 x 4 cm tumor removed by surgery(2 times)
Dr. Arriaga and Dr. Baghai Pittsburgh Allegheny Hospital
Post Op as of 7/20/06

Lainie

Re: Tearing
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 08:14:44 am »
6 months after surgery I had excessive tearing. So much so that i went to the ER in case it was a Leakage. I was told it was the nerver regenerating. This carried on for a couple of months and then stopped. It returned a few weeks ago and I can now blink about 98%. Look on this as a positive thing and it will cost you a lot less in eye drops. I am just hoping mouth straightens out now. I was told that the eye is the last thing to work, has anyone else heard that?
Good luck
Lainie.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 11:33:07 am »
Hi Chris:  Glad to hear the 12/7 is taking !!!!    I happened to also have excessive tears about 6-7 months out (like Lainie), & that was when my EMG showed the biggest jump.  Now, the tears are less frequent (except when I work out), this last EMG showed minimal improvement, but my doc still wants to hold off on the 12/7.   Again, so glad to hear you're improving, however slowly it happens.
Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Pembo

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 07:36:21 am »
Chris, Isn't Todd the best? I learned so much from him.

My eye was completely dry for awhile and I've had some sporadic tearing, I always took it as a good sign. Best of luck to you.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

Dfcman

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2007, 09:39:33 pm »
Todd is a damn good man!  He sure knows his stuff.   I feel he knows  whats going on with my face more than I do.
Son of Chrissmom
23 Years Old
AIM is the best way to contact me
5.3 x 4 cm tumor removed by surgery(2 times)
Dr. Arriaga and Dr. Baghai Pittsburgh Allegheny Hospital
Post Op as of 7/20/06