Author Topic: driving  (Read 6233 times)

satman

driving
« on: June 01, 2007, 03:27:19 pm »
can people return to driving if so. how long on average? post-op
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
Re: driving
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 04:00:36 pm »
I would say it really depends on what you're comfortable with and how affected your balance is.  I tried driving around town at 2 months.  Others have been at 5-6 weeks.  I'm still not comfortable faster than 45 or in more than 2 lane roads, so I don't drive because I have options.  I could do it if I really needed to though. 
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

Boppie

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 04:17:54 pm »
My opinion...as a Translab patient

It depends on your pre op compensation and your post op ability to balance; test this - while walking and moving your head and eyes right and left can you attain a fair amount of stability?  This is a pretty good test of how much balance you have retrained.  The drunk walk really isn't good for several months, so don't wait for that to be 100% for driving.   

I drove on small streets for a mile at two weeks.  But I didn't go on the busy streets or freeway for a month or so. 

You really need to be able to turn your head back to see the blind spot, or to back out of the driveway.  Then I'd say practice drive in an open parking lot to get the feeling;  then when you feel comfortable, drive on small streets where you can pass oncoming cars without feeling a whirl.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2007, 04:29:00 am »
I started driving 3 weeks post op; it was a bit difficult at first when you turn your head - the dizzy feeling, but like anything, the more you do it the easier it gets.
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Battyp

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007, 09:58:23 am »
I didn't drive for 6 mos. I took a driving test at the hospital for clearance which honestly was a joke as I didn't have to turn my head. Pretty much limit yourself to familar areas, watch the fatigue and give it some time of taking baby steps you'll know when you feel comfortable enough behind the wheel to start playing nascar again  LOL 

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2007, 01:56:29 pm »
satman:

The simple answer to your question is: ask your doctor.

On a practical basis, I tend to believe the ability to drive again following AN surgery is relative to one's overall balance function and 'comfort zone'.  It will vary widely with each individual, from weeks to months, as the responses on this thread demonstrate. 

My experience may be of some encouragment to you as my doctor gave me permission to drive two weeks after my surgery, ten days after I was released from the hospital. At that point, I was recovering rapidly (my surgeon put me his 'top 5%' of patients recovering from AN surgery) and I was anxious to resume 'normal' activities. I was a bit tentative at first but soon regained my former confidence behind the wheel.  Now, almost a year later, I drive as I always have, but, at 64, I try to avoid unnecessary night driving or very long distances.  But that's me. Your experience can and probably will, differ.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

wwalker

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 03:23:07 pm »
I probably could have driven after about 8 weeks, but I didn't for almost 3 months.  It took that long for my eye weight to feel comfortable, and the tear duct in my left eye to work well enough that I didn't have to put drops in every five minutes.

Driving was far easier than walking.

Wayne

!.5 cm left-side AN
Retrosigmoid surgery 9-20-06
Dr. Karl Horn and Dr. Andrew Metzger
Presbyterian Hospital, Albuquerque

robinm

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2007, 03:38:35 pm »
I started driving after 3 weeks. On the interstate and nights, I started only after two months. In my case, my driving ability is as before. I can drive upto 100 mph (if a state trooper is not around ;).

Robin

Catflower

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2007, 06:09:16 pm »
I'm 7 weeks post surgery and took my first trip on the "four lane" today.  I did great and am planning on another one tomorrow.  I can drive better than I can walk. 8)

Jill Marie

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2007, 10:16:16 pm »
I don't want to alarm any newbies but I didn't drive for 3 years!  It's not that I couldn't but my husband and I felt it was better if I diidn't.  As others have stated each person is different.  In hindsight I probably shouldn't have driven the first 3 to 6 months.  Since I use ointment in my eye 24/7 we were concerned about my being able to drive safely.  I can't see things on my left very well and of course can't hear on that side either, then of course my depth perception is off because of the ointment.  I didn't want to cause an accident and certainly didn't want to be blamed for an accident because of my situation.  I didn't work so I didn't HAVE to go anywhere.  I rode my bike when I wanted to get out on my own and rode to the store to pick up groceries, etc.  Three years after my surgery the place my husband worked at went on strike so I neeeded to get a job.  I got one with in a week, figured I could take the bus.  Turns out they forgot to mention that one of my jobs was to get the mail and go to to the bank 3 to 5 times a week.  I needed the job so I got behind the wheel  Very scary at first but also exciting.  Then my husband realized how tired he was off hauling me and the boys everywhere so one day he suggested I take our youngest home from a soccer game while he went Golfing.  I had a BLAST, I didn't go straight home!  We stopped by a little restaurant and I let our son pick anything he wanted from the menu, then we headed to another place for dessert.  THEN we went home!  I drove more and more from there, tried not to drive at night because of the lights, etc.  I took my first road trip about 4 years ago, my husband couldn't join me for a family reunion and I had to go as it was my Dad's 80th Birthday.  I had the most wonderful time, in fact, even after driving for 4 hours I just wanted to keep on driving.  I played whatever music I wanted to hear, stopped when I wanted to stop, ate where I wanted to eat.  The drive back was the same, I felt so independent for the first time in many years. 

As for getting in an accident, I've been in 4 since my surgery, NONE of them my fault.  In fact, there was damage to my car on only one occasion the other 3 times I SAW what was going to happen in time to avoid damage.  The first time a girls car died and she moved over to the side of the road except I was in the lane beside her I moved to the curb, 2nd time a guy turned in front of me thinking he was in the left lane not the center lane, I slammed on the brakes, 3rd time (last friday) a guy rear ended me but only hit my hitch because I saw him coming in the rearview mirror and pulled closer to the car in front of me but not so close I would hit them. 

We are probably better drivers because we are more aware of our surroundings and more cautious!  Drive-on!
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

Dfcman

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2007, 11:35:53 pm »
I didnt drive for about 7 months and yes, it is really weird at first.  Checking your blind spot is hard at first but, yeah like the others have said it gets easier.  Make sure your adamant about it.  I had to take a test at OT and my doctor wanted me to take an on-the-road test eventhough my license was never actually revoked. It was good b/c if you are in an accident (even if its not your fault) the other party cant use your past history as an excuse, that test will certify you just like any one else.  But indeed ask your doctor about it, i'm sure there is someone around you who can do it because they mainly test elderly patients and stroke victims and stuff.  Good Luck with all that and try to be patient.

Chris
Son of Chrissmom
23 Years Old
AIM is the best way to contact me
5.3 x 4 cm tumor removed by surgery(2 times)
Dr. Arriaga and Dr. Baghai Pittsburgh Allegheny Hospital
Post Op as of 7/20/06

mema

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2007, 04:42:31 am »
It seemed that driving I always had whooziness like mild vertigo with nausea.  And when at a stop light watching traffic crossing over made it worse.  So unfortunately I stopped driving.  In the past 18 months I tried 3 times a very a few blocks and got it again.  I'll keep trying every once in awhile, maybe someday it won't make me sick.  When I ride a bike It doesn't seem to happen, but I'm all over the road.  My neighbors call me evil knievil.                                                                                                                                         

mema
6mm x 8mm left AN FSR 26 treatments Nov.-Dec.2005
MD Anderson Orlando, Fl.

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2007, 10:08:50 pm »
I was in the hospital for three weeks, two of those weeks on a walker. I began to drive again two weeks after returning home from the hospital. My AN surgery was in 2005 when I was 48. I think one of the reasons I bounced back as quickly as I did had to do with physical conditioning before my surgeries. I've still got my difficulties and impediments though.
  We're all at different ages and in different physical conditions and take varying lengths of time to heal up as best we can.

Paul
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2007, 02:09:29 am »
I returned to driving about 2 1/2 months post op, once I could turn my head in the required ways without getting dizzy (like for lane changes etc). My doctors did not put any restrictions on me, they knew I would use my judgement....my parents hid my keys for a while.
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2007, 02:48:14 am »
My kids and grandkids are still hiding the keys and it has been almost two years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I'm a terrible driver and the first to admit it.  I don't go any further than absolutely necessary and don't take any chances at at.  Not knowing where sound is coming from is not safe for other driving or people riding with me.  I need a driver.
Brendalu
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT