Author Topic: New symptoms: when should I start worrying?  (Read 5033 times)

arcteryx

New symptoms: when should I start worrying?
« on: February 20, 2006, 05:51:30 pm »
Although my 3cm was spotted on the MRI about 1 month ago, my only original symptoms (mostly facial numbness) went on for over 6 months.  However, since my the official diagnosis, I've developed tinnitus, a full feeling in my affected ear, and "lightning shooting through my head" pain.

From everything I've read, I thought I had a at least a few months to research options & schedule the surgery, but since the arrival of these new symptoms in such a short period (about 1 month), now I'm getting concerned. Can anybody tell me how worried I should be about these new symptoms or what symptoms warrant "emergency surgery"?

Kilroy1976

Re: New symptoms: when should I start worrying?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 08:31:17 pm »
I wonder if your new symptoms could possibly be psychosomatic... I know that shortly after I heard "brain tumor" from my PCP, I got an intense pressure in my head. The doctors were very close to calling it Hydrocephalus and installing a shunt, but it went away days after treatment and hasn't returned. Just an idea...
1.8cm AN
Linac
December 13, 2005
Shands Hospital--University of Florida

Boppie

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 08:36:31 pm »
3 cm is not a small tumor.  You should bring your doctor up to date on these symptoms.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 08:38:05 pm by Boppie »

Pembo

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 12:51:51 pm »
I started with facial tingling in Feb 2004, dizziness began in March, then I began noticing other things like fullness in the ear. I was diagnosed in May and had surgery 3 weeks later. My tumor was almost 4 cm.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

dgrummer

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 01:37:09 pm »
I don’t know if this info will help – but my husband was diagnosed Aug 19 with a 2.8 cm.  He noticed numbness about 6 mts earlier, a fullness in his ear about 2 mts after that (although he has perfect hearing).  His tongue became numb about 2-3 mts after that. 

Since his diagnosis – and in the past 6 weeks – his right eye has become increasingly dry (has to use drops now) and mentioned yesterday that the right side of his throat feels strange and his right ear seems to be having spasms.  I have no idea if they are related – but seem unusual.

Over the past 7 mts as we made our decision and waiting for our surgery date – I just told him to tell me if he got real dizzy, sleepy and couldn’t stay away – then I’d worry (since his was pressing on his brainstem).  Until then we just stayed on track for our surgery which is this Thursday.

It might be a combination of not noticing them before and now you are more aware of symptoms – but I believe that my husband’s symptoms are getting worse and we’ll be glad to get the thing out! 

Of course – he’s also blaming everything from forgetting conversations we’ve had to not putting up his dirty dishes on the tumor – and of course just plain not listening to me – so he’s milking it for all he can :)

Raydean

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 06:55:36 pm »
I personally think that all changes should be ran by your Doctor regardless of how insignificant they may seem.   I'm not a Doctor but in regards to the "emergency surgery" question.  I think mental confusion/ loss of memory, nausea, extreme balance problems, extreme tireness (fatique), weight loss, ongoing headaches, vision changes, including bouts of blurred vision accompanied with headache  would be something to seek immediate medical advice on. 

I was treated for a 6 CM tumor under emergency conditions.   Advanced hydrocephalus was the immediate danger.  followed by tumor removal surgery 6 days later.  Emergency surgery is not the place to start your AN journey, it leaves you with no choices in treating doctors, or in treatment options.   The surgeon's experience is a vital part in having a positive outcome.  Larger tumors pose a greater risk of possible outcomes. I can't state enough how important it is for you to be aware of your symptoms and stay in contact with your doctor, and to assemble a medical team that is vastly experienced in the treatment of AN's.

Best to you
Chet

« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 08:27:55 pm by Raydean »
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Kilroy1976

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2006, 03:54:18 pm »
I personally think that all changes should be ran by your Doctor regardless of how insignificant they may seem.   

Oh goodness yes. I did not mean to imply that the symptoms aren't real, or that they shouldn't be taken seriously. However, the discovery of a brain tumor is a terrifying event and I think that if there's ever any cause for a psychosomatic response, it would be after that awful MRI comes back.
1.8cm AN
Linac
December 13, 2005
Shands Hospital--University of Florida

Katja

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2006, 09:44:00 am »
Hi there! Symptoms... well I had 3.5cm tumor which was diagnosed in May04. I had surgery in Jun04. Actually I had before symptoms: I did not hear well, I had heartbeat, dizziness, headaches but I thought it was just stress. As my doctor explained my tumor was growing inside not outside causing more problem on hearing or facial nerve problems. As it was growing and if I did not discover it once day tumor touching brain that could have been it!!! End on my days.... As I can see they are growing a bit differenctly and cause different symptoms. But as I can understand as soon as you find one just get rid of it. It does not for sure dissapear by itself.. Good Luck!
3.5cm tumor right side. Oper. Jun04 lost hearing, CSF leak oper. Sep04 & Mar05. :-*

Battyp

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2006, 08:49:29 pm »
Kilroy for a minute there I thought I was going to have to send Capt Deb over with her plank to take care of you! 

Acteryx I'd def. call my doctor and asked some questions.  Is your tumor affecting your brain stem?  I had a 2.8 CM tumor that was pressing on my brain stem causing me to be sleepy with shooting head pains and pressure.  One doctor dismissed my symptoms the other consult put me on decadron (kilroy's fav med of all time!) which helped relieve my pressure.  I was given 6 weeks to get on a table somewhere for surgery.  It took my ENT 6 mos to diagnosis my tumor and during that time my symptoms gradually got worse.  I started with tinitus, loss of balance, vertigo, and extreme headaches and pressure in my ear. 

Let us know how you are doing.