Author Topic: Experiences at Barrows?  (Read 1948 times)

arcteryx

Experiences at Barrows?
« on: February 17, 2006, 01:13:09 am »
Hi, I've read a lot of stories here about how great the post-operative care is at HEC/St. Vincent's. Could somebody who has had surgery at Barrows Neurological please let us know about their recovery experiences there? For example, room situation, staff quality and concern, doctor visits, etc. Thanks!

Jeff

Re: Experiences at Barrows?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006, 11:22:37 am »
Hello,

I had surgery via the retrosigmoid approach at Barrow in Feb. 2002. I had a tumor that measured 2.5 cm but also had a 5 cm cyst. My hearing was perfect before the surgery, so this approach was taken in an unsuccessful attempt to preserve my hearing.

I had two pre-op appointments - one with Dr. Spetzler and the other with Dr. Daspit, the neurotologist who teams with Dr. Spetzler on these surgeries. I reported to the hospital at 5:00 am on the day of my surgery. After I was admitted, I went to a pre-op room where I changed into a gown and basically waited until they were ready. When they were ready, I was taken to a room where I talked to the anesthesiologist, who explained what he who do, and that since my tumor was so large, I probably would wake up with a breathing tube down my throat. This is where I said goodbye to my family. The anesthesiologist gave me a shot and that is the last thing I remember until after the surgery.

I woke up in the neurosurgical ICU. Each room has 2 beds and a nurse who stays in the room. I was on a ventilator for about 4 hours after I woke up. This, however is not standard procedure. I also had a spinal drain in when I woke up . At that time that was standard procedure for AN surgeries (If you have to get a spinal it is much easier when you are asleep. I developed a spinal fluid leak when I had surgery at HEC and had the drain put in while I was awake - not fun!.). I had hourly neurological status checks...the standard smile, scrunch your face, hold your arms straight out out palms up, etc. I had nystagmus and really couldn't see straight for a couple of days. The slightest movement made me very nauseous. I sat in a chair for a little while the next day. I was in ICU for 3 days before my drain was removed and I was moved to a room on the floor. It was a private room and quite comfortable.

The day I was moved out of ICU, a physical therapist came and had me walk. She also came and worked with me the next day, showing me some exercies that I could do to regain my balance. I walked with a walker for a couple of days. The morning that I was released, an occupation therapist came in to make sure I could do the things that I needed to do to care for myself. After I was released I stayed in Phoenix another week. During that time I went for walks and rested. I had post-op appointments with one of Dr. Spetzler's residents and with Dr. Daspit. By the time I left I felt better than I had before the surgery.

Surgery is a tough thing to endure, but my experience at Barrow and St. Joseph's hospital was good. I feel that the care I received was very good. The ICU nurses were great. Since a nurse is responsible for just 2 patients who are in the same room, help was always there when  I needed it. After I got out of ICU, the nurses were busier since they were responsible for more patients, but they were still good.

The facilities at St. Joseph's in Phoenix are nicer than St. Vincents in LA. Both facilities have great doctors and comparable nursing staffs. I would also note that since Barrow has residents and HEC does not, I saw my surgeons far more at House than I did at Barrow. Mostly, I saw the residents at Barrow.

I hope this helps,

Jeff
NF2
multiple AN surgeries
last surgery June 08