Author Topic: Does ear fullness diminish after surgery?  (Read 8470 times)

arcteryx

Does ear fullness diminish after surgery?
« on: April 17, 2006, 01:44:06 am »
I was wondering about people's post-surgical experiences with ear fullness. Do that annoying pre-op feeling of having a sock trying to push it's way out of your ear go away after surgery? How long does it generally take?

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Does ear fullness diminish after surgery?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 05:28:42 am »
can only chime in about the radio-surgery post-treatment and hoping that the "I'm at 40,000 feet altitude in a plane and can't pop my ears feeling" will diminish as well.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 09:06:35 am »
Good question, one I wanted to ask too.  I'm hoping it will.  It's been bad the last week...must be stressed, the tinnitus is worse too.  So....

Anyone?  Anyone?  Bueller?  Anyone?
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

vcschaub

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006, 09:20:12 am »
My ear fullness disappeared about 2 months after my surgery. It returned about two months later, albeit, not as full, but still annoying. The doctors say it is new fluid retention and put me on a diuretic. So far, no improvement. Has this happened to anyone?
6mm
Middle Fossa November 8, 2005
Drs Brackmann and Hitselberger
House Ear

SKT

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 11:06:44 am »
My AN symptoms pre-diagnosis were quite sudden and felt quite dramatic - the tinnitus came on , all of a sudden,then that was followed with ear fullness and hyperacousis.  The ear fullness was really debilitating for arbout a week.  I had surgery 3 1/2 weeks after diagnosis and the fullness disappeared iimmediately upon surgery.

Desilu

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2006, 12:00:21 pm »
Hi,

I agree with vcschaub, it took about 2 months for the fullness to diminish but I still have some slight tinnitus and I seem to be able to notice it most when I am in a quiet room. If there is a lot of noise going on I don't notice it.  Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

matti

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2006, 12:33:28 pm »
My ear fullness dimished a couple of  months after surgery. My tinnitus does worsen when I am stressed and also when noises around me increase.
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2006, 01:47:03 pm »
My ear still feels a little stuffy 3 years post-op, but not as bad as it did at the time of my diagnosis.  I've just gotten used to it.

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Lorraine

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2006, 02:42:41 pm »
I am so glad to hear that someone else is suffering from ear fullness.  I am 2 1/2 months post op and still suffering from this.  I hope it goes away like it did for some of you.  I loved the description "it feels like having a sock trying to push out of the ear". 
Acoustic Neuroma Rt Ear
7mm
Surgery 2/9/06
Dr. Allan Friedman, Duke Hospital

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2006, 06:26:10 pm »
fullness bad today.. wondering if Spring blooming in New England isn't helping the situation either.. you all running into it with pollen season? Or, just me?
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

jamie

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2006, 06:29:27 pm »
For alot of people the ear fullness is ETD (eustachian tube dysfunction), antihistamines may help for some. I get it every now and then but all I have to do is blow air out of my ear and it clears.
CyberKnife radiosurgery at Barrow Neurological Institute; 2.3 cm lower cranial nerve schwannoma

Kilroy1976

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2006, 08:48:02 am »
My ear filled up for the first time about two days ago. For now I'm keeping my fingers crossed and blaming it on allergies. I'll let you know if I find something that unplugs it.

Is anyone else annoyed with the new federal regulation of pseudoephedrine? That stuff gets me through allergy season every year, and now I have to wait in line at the pharmacy, dripping snot the whole time, while ten other people in front of me do the same thing. I'd be really angry if I was getting a "serious" medication from the pharmacy and everyone was taking five minutes to get an OTC cold remedy.
1.8cm AN
Linac
December 13, 2005
Shands Hospital--University of Florida

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2006, 06:50:10 pm »
I helped in cleaning up a park today (it's Earth Day) and we found 7 meth lab remnants in an area of about 30 acres, so regulating the stuff, albeit annoying, is a good thing.  My coworkers daughters are hooked on the stuff, and it's just devastating.  Although, I'm allergic to decongestants (pseudoephedrine) so I don't have to buy it.  Just a thought.
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

matti

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2006, 07:36:48 pm »
 I agree with you Kathleen, I have seen too many young kids hooked as well.

You are such a good girl! I missed volunteering for Earth Day in my community, still not feeling well. Stopped by and watched for a few minutes though.
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Kilroy1976

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2006, 07:36:29 am »
The problem is that you're not going to solve the meth crisis by regulating allergy medicine. As long as there is demand, the supply will be present. The only people that are being hurt by this regulation are people with colds and allergies, and the people that need to wait at the pharmacy behind them. But I suppose that's a discussion for another board...
1.8cm AN
Linac
December 13, 2005
Shands Hospital--University of Florida