Author Topic: Is it possible to get my smile back?  (Read 6088 times)

badyellowvette

Is it possible to get my smile back?
« on: December 10, 2012, 01:29:57 pm »
Have just been reading threads about facial issues and wondering how successful surgery is for facial paralysis. I have asked Doctors before without much reaction to my question. It is possible to get some movement back. One problem I will have is my AN was in 1985. Is it too late? 
Small orange size AN removed 5-15-1985
Tarsarophy done 5-19-1985
Thumbnail size AN removed 4-18-1993
Tarsarophy removed and 1.6g gold weight added 7-22-1993
From 7-26-01 to 2-25-2013 five more surgery's on eyelid with now 3g of gold weight

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
Re: Is it possible to get my smile back?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 06:26:24 pm »
I suggest you send a personal message to kaybo. She had her AN surgery 17 years ago and several surgeries since, including a nerve jump and a T3. She will be able to answer your question better than anyone I can think of.

Best,
Sara Hartman
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 06:50:08 pm »
Hi!

I don't know if I can offer you any insights but can tell you what I have experienced.  I had the 12/7 a year after my initial AN surgery since they said that the nerves will only heal for one year.  That surgery didn't have the results that I had hoped for but at least it hooked up a "live" nerve to the one that obviously wasn't working - so no major movement but at least it wasn't "dead & droopy" anymore. After I joined this Forum, I learned from Nancy about the Temporalis Tendon Transfer (T3) done by Dr Patrick Byrne at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore. At first, I was very doubtful because it was YEARS after my surgery (12, I think) but this surgery involves the tendons and muscles in your face (& they took tendon from my leg to lengthen) NOT NERVES so there is no time restraints.  I had it done in the spring of 2008 and even though I had a LOT of complications (NOT the norm, just me!), I was able to see almost immediate results.  In theory, this surgery just would allow me to have a closed mouth, "Mona Lisa" smile when I clenched down. In the fall of 2010, I realized that I was able to move my mouth into a closed smile WITHOUT clenching and then just this past week, realized that I could actually do an open mouthed "grin" - on the exact date of my initial AN surgery 17 years ago!! Of course, it is still not perfect and I still have a crazy eye but YES, YOU CAN GET YOUR SMILE BACK - at least I have.  I don't really know if it was the T3 or what - I know that I am a strong believer and am giving God all the glory - to me it is a miracle - whether it just finally happened after all this time or is a result of the surgery - it doesn't matter, both were because of God!

Please let me know if I can answer any other questions!
K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Brewers7

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 10:41:43 am »
Dr. Byrne has suggested a relatively new procedure for me.  He will attach a branch of the 5th nerve to a branch of the 7th, which should hopefully improve my smile.  It is an outpatient procedure and I am having it done Tuesday.  They said it should be 6 to 8 months before I see results, but I will keep you posted.  I am 4 years post op.  Dr. Byrne said that if this doesn't work, I would still be a candidate for the T3.
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010

wfuvbeanhead

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 09:32:35 pm »
Hi Brewers 7,

Just wondering how the surgery went? Good I hope!

KBO

Brewers7

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 12:55:32 pm »
The surgery was relatively simple - outpaitient.  They told me that it will be 6 to 8 months before we know if it was successful.  Ask me again in May.
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010

Kaybo

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 01:31:18 pm »
I was sondering how you were doing to - glad it was easy - hope you get good results!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 01:53:10 am »
look for a plastic sergeon who does face re-animation post trauma.....that how I got all my other surgeries done to "fix" my face (muscle, facia and nerve transferrs to my face from other area's in my face), the doctor would know if it's "too late"
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)