Author Topic: facial retraining  (Read 2427 times)

elderbirds

facial retraining
« on: May 20, 2009, 09:24:52 pm »
I am 13 months post-op and have had continuing improvement with the faical nerve. I had some facial retraining therapy early on with the vestibular therapy.  In  the past few weeks I have started noticing some synkensis characteristics (dimple chin, movement in eyebrow when smiling).  I feel i have done everything I can to prevent this, but wanted input from those of you in facial therapy to see if there is anymore I can do.  I have the exercises from the bell's palsy web page, massaging the area etc.  I will e-mail my neurotologist to inform him of this most recent occurance.   thanks for all of the continued support.
Hope

calimama

Re: facial retraining
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 05:03:51 am »
I don't have answers really, but just my two cents as i am just about to get into facial retraining.

My FT said that synkinesis is "quite common" where there has been damage to the facial nerve (indicated by palsy). That made me feel a little better as i was hoping to avoid it, thinking i had avoided it. I am now just over 11.5 months post op.

He said the mild synkenisis i have indicates that the muscles are working inefficiently, that that retraining can help, but it is not an easy thing to correct and takes practice and patience. I will be going back in 2 weeks for some stimulation therapy and to get exercises to correct my problem areas (really just eye "smiling" i.e. like squinting a bit, when i smile with my mouth. the right eye does not do the same thing). He suggested it is good to tap and gently massage the face (circular) motions, throughout the day to relieve over active, hyper muscles.

I don't know if this stuff gets better or worse with time (and no active intervention) so i am going for it... hoping that i can retrain enough to make things work a bit better.

Good luck to you!

Trish
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 03:09:16 pm »
Oh that word again - patience - yuck!!!
Hey Trish thinking of you lots lately. The twins should be here soon? and our one year anniversary.
Hugs Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

calimama

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 06:43:16 pm »
Michelle...

Thanks for the message.

We are still aimming for middle of July for twins. They are growing well and i am done work now...belly is huge and i am pretty slow and heavy. My ultrasound this week suggests they are both over 4lbs! A few weeks ahead of average weight gain for 30 weeks! The OB doc is quite pleased.

I am planning to do a update for the one-year surgery anniversary... time flies! I still have not had a follow up MRI (due to pregnancy) but am booked for this in August. I will see the opthamologist next week, just to see that eye is doing ok. After that i will probably try to see her every 6 months. My eye is actually almost closing, still no blink though. HOping this is another of those things that will come. I might try to get the screws removed from my head (the ENT says this can be done), down the road, as one of them remains sensitive to the touch. Anyway, no rush...

Hope you are doing well. Summer holidays are coming for you! Nice...

Trish
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 07:05:37 pm »
Oh Trish this is such an exciting time for you!
My eye is almost closing as well (if I try). The corner on the inside is still weak and I would say it is about 1-2mm open still. Does the blink ever return ? This whole eyelid disfunction has and still is the biggest pain. Oh well enough complaining life is good and I am here to enjoy it!
WHAT we can have the screws removed?? I had no idea! I have two straps in to hold the bone flap in place while it was healing. Screws hold it in place, can I have them removed and would I want to if I could?
Can't wait to read your one year update Trish, you too Marci. Kindergarten is almost over and I will have more time to post! Oh and enjoy the sun on the boat. I have worked long and hard all year and cannot wait to relax a bit and look into acupuncture and other healing methods.
Michelle  :-*
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 07:08:16 pm by mimoore »
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.