Author Topic: Does hearing ever return?  (Read 6389 times)

chance1212

Does hearing ever return?
« on: January 12, 2012, 07:22:42 pm »
I am understand that once the hearing is gone--pretty sure mine is at least 95-100% gone--it is gone for good right? Some comments I've read got me thinking that maybe there's a chance of it coming back after surgery?
6mm 08/11;   lost hearing by 10/11 & tinnitus;  growth shown 02/12;  more growth-now 1.2 cm 08/12;  Translab @ Vanderbilt Haynes/Thompson  11/13/12
J. Hildebrandt

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
Re: Does hearing ever return?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 12:33:13 pm »
I am not a doctor but was told my my doctor that once hearing is gone, it does not return.  But there are many devices that help us hear better.  There are many different types of devices if you are SSD also.

TJ

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 01:22:34 pm »
Bob ~

To the best of my knowledge, when the acoustic nerve has been damaged enough to cease functioning, it rarely 'comes back'.  My neurosurgeon held out a small hope that because all of my other AN symptoms disappeared after my debulking surgery, that some hearing might return.  He checked my hearing in the affected ear every day in the hospital (by rubbing his fingers together next to my 'AN ear' and asking:"can you hear that?").  He continued to do the same Ad hoc test at every follow-up visit.  Alas, I never regained any hearing in my AN (left) ear.

Although anything is possible, I would advise against putting a too much hope in your unilateral hearing returning after AN surgery. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

chloes mema

• Life is a special occasion.
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 01:48:02 pm »
Like TJ, I was told that my hearing will never be any better no matter what is done, it will only get worse.   :(
My neurosurgeon told me that if I had CK I'd loose all hearing and with surgery (remember he's a surgeon) he could possibly save 40% of what I currently have.  (This got much discussion in another post)

Karen
Diagnosed October 2011
Oct '11-9 X 6 mm left ear
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Tinnitus, imbalance, and mild dizziness (ditsy)
My AN = Annoying Nuisance
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back

chance1212

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 08:13:02 pm »
One of the reasons I asked this is because I was wondering if they could do the AN removal and the BAHA implant at the same time. Currently I have no hearing that I can tell in the affected ear.
6mm 08/11;   lost hearing by 10/11 & tinnitus;  growth shown 02/12;  more growth-now 1.2 cm 08/12;  Translab @ Vanderbilt Haynes/Thompson  11/13/12
J. Hildebrandt

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 08:17:02 pm »
To my knowledge you can get a BAHA at the same time as surgery.
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

stephSF

• Live each day to the fullest.
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 10:42:02 pm »
At HEI with translab they give you the choice to have the first part of the BAHA done at surgery time.  I just opted out of that part, but there are a lot of folks who have it and are pleased on the forum.  I am going to try thr cros trans ear.  My family has already done a lot of adjusting to coming t me from the right side already.  I have met two ssd ladies that work outside the home and they use staging and common sense and are good.  They lost their hearing from other problems. 

1.6 cm left, dx thanksgiving 2011
Surgery will be on 1-25-2012 translab
Tinnitus and little distorted hearing noe
1.6 cm AN Translab with Dr.'s Friedman and Shwartz with HEI on 1-25-2012.  I am doing great!  Surgery saved my life :).   Be brave, have a great attitude, and hire the best surgical team!!!!

chance1212

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 07:13:25 pm »
I am only considering options at this time. I would be interested in the SoundBite if insurance pays for it. I am trying to improve my hearing for my students. I feel like I've missed a lot this year even though it's been better than I expected--to hear with one ear that is.
J. Hildebrandt

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 10:36:46 am »
Hearing nerves are very fragile, and unlike facial nerves, don't have the ability to regenerate.

Once your hearing is "lost", it stays lost.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Cheryl R

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 12:42:11 pm »
Usually but can happen in rare situitations and I am one.      I was almost all deaf on my left side tumor and Gantz brought it back.    I am am only one of 2 an audiologist told me among his many years of doing ANs.       I was trying to remember what my hearing level was.    I think maybe 17% word discrimation.  That was the reason I had to retire from working, since am deaf on the rt side.           He has been so excited when he sees me to know it has kept up in the 98% now and might have even been 100% last April.     I was going to be a cochlear implant a month after the surgery and was not needed.                 This post is not new to most of you and this not the usual happening with most AN surgeries.   (think this AN was 1.4 cm)      Those who do know me,know how grateful I have been every day to have some hearing back and enjoy our 2 little granddaughters.                                  Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

New girl

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2012, 02:41:14 pm »
What hearing I had left was preserved post surgery.  I was told it was very rare but my hearing could improve.

Congrats Cheryl!  That is extraordinary that you got your hearing back.
9mmx14mmx9mm
Diagnosed 6/1/2011
Retrosigmoid Surgery 9/27/2011
Daniel Lee (MEEI) & Fred Barker (MGH) - Exceptional Surgeons

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 07:05:32 pm »
To my knowledge you can get a BAHA at the same time as surgery.

Depends on the doc.  I know House will do the combo surgery (AN + BAHA implant), but not all docs do.

It's a personal preferenc kind of thing.

My doc doesn't combine the surgeries.  But thankfully the implant surgery is a piece of cake (outpatient) compared to the AN surgery - so it's really no big deal to have them separately.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2012, 09:53:44 pm »
I had translab surgery and the Oticon Medical abutment implant for the Ponto Pro done at the same time with absolutely no problems whatsoever.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011