Author Topic: growing headaches  (Read 3404 times)

cassieb

growing headaches
« on: March 26, 2011, 02:30:12 am »
when we started this trip my headaches were a couple times a day and minor pain somtimes moderate mostly relieve by over the counter meds (ibuprofen and tylenol). now its a constant headache moderate to severe pain and nausea, and the meds barely take the edge off when taken round the clock. is there anything i can do/take/try that could atleast bring the pain down so i can function? its starting to make me very cranky to say the least.
1.4cm 'something' named almond(hopefully probably possably cholesterol granuloma) still getting tested to find out what it is,
Jefferson university hospital, Dr Artz.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: growing headaches
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 07:30:09 am »
Cassie -

I've kind of lost track of your story, so I'm not sure if you've been diagnosed with an AN or not.

Generally, when one has an AN and symptoms increase or new symptoms come about it means you should seek treatment sooner rather than later.

You may want to check in with your doctor if you haven't recently.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 12:49:06 pm »
Jan ~

Cassie has been diagnosed with a cholesterol granuloma and is undergoing consultations to determine what to do next, including 'watch-and-wait'.

Cassie ~

I agree with Jan.  You probably require something stronger to help control your headaches and a prescription will likely be necessary which obviously entails seeing a doctor.  I help you get relief, soon.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 12:54:59 pm »
Thanks, Jim.

Wasn't sure where cassie was at with her diagnosis.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

cassieb

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 08:31:37 pm »
actualy still not an offical dx yet. were hoping for cholesterol graunloma but we havent done the CT to determine what it is yet. at this point its labeled as a petrous apex mass. i was just hoping there was more i could do for some relief. the chronic level i can deal with, but sometimes the pain spikes up to the point that i cant focus anymore.
1.4cm 'something' named almond(hopefully probably possably cholesterol granuloma) still getting tested to find out what it is,
Jefferson university hospital, Dr Artz.

Nickittynic

• Bug in the Brain Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 01:01:26 am »
I'm not sure if it would still apply with you being pre-treatment, but I have had headaches just like you describe (constant low level with 'spikes') since after surgery and was started on nortrptyline. It took a little while for the meds to build up in my system, and we're still messing with the dose (neurologist is, anyway) but so far it's helping a lot.
25 year old OBGYN nurse, wife, mother of two
5.5cm x 3.1cm left side AN removed via retrosigmoid 9/09 @ Hopkins
SSD, Tinnitus, Chronic Migraines, Facial paralysis (improving!)
Resolved - Left sided weakness, Cognitive issues
Gold weight, upper and lower punctal plugs, tarsorrhaphy