Author Topic: One week from today and cold symptoms are making an appearance  (Read 1516 times)

Jwh

One week from today and cold symptoms are making an appearance
« on: January 19, 2009, 11:55:40 am »
Yup, my biggest fears are becoming a reality.  I'm coming down with a cold - no surprise because my whole family is sick.  I've taken every precaution with no avail.  I'm hoping that what ever it is it will be short lived.  I contacted my doctor and he told me to drink plenty of fluids, take vitamin c and still come to pre-op screening tomorrow.  With any luck, I will get better right away and I'll have the surgery as scheduled.  Yugh - this happened my first surgery and I ended up canceling it because of a sinus infection.  This can't possibly happen again can it?  I just took some Kolopin which is helping me relax a bit.
Jen
5/01  1.3 AN removed at NYU using Retrosig. Approach
2/07  Rediagnosed with Regrowth 8 mm (wait & watch mode)
1/09  1.4 AN removed at NYU using Translab (total tumor removal)

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: One week from today and cold symptoms are making an appearance
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 02:11:31 pm »
Jen:

I'm sorry to learn of your pre-op cold.  I would recommend Zicam®.  It can shorten the duration of a cold.  I've used it - and it works.  Meanwhile, rest as much as you can so your body's natural defenses can fight the cold germs.  I hope and will pray that your cold subsides enough to allow you to undergo your scheduled Translab surgery (1/26).  Stay strong and positive.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 03:12:02 pm »
I second the Zicam suggestion.   And BREATHE.  Eventually you won't have a cold and they'll have to operate.
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

wendysig

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 03:25:11 pm »
Hi Jen,
I too have heard that Zicam is a big help if taken/used at the first signs of a cold.  I'm crossing my fingers for you that your cold passes quickly.

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Keri

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 09:36:05 pm »
Hello,
I'm one week and one day away from my translab and same thing! I can't get over this cold / cough. I don't have fever. I put in a call to my doc - left a message. At what point do they say you have to wait or how bad do you have to be?
Thanks,
Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Jwh

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 07:28:20 am »
Hello,
I'm one week and one day away from my translab and same thing! I can't get over this cold / cough. I don't have fever. I put in a call to my doc - left a message. At what point do they say you have to wait or how bad do you have to be?
Thanks,
Keri

Tell me that doesn't s-ck!  Did you already have your pre-op?  Basically what they told me is wait 3 days before the scheduled surgery if you're still not right cancel it.  Check with your doctors to see what there policy is..  Good luck let me know what happens.
5/01  1.3 AN removed at NYU using Retrosig. Approach
2/07  Rediagnosed with Regrowth 8 mm (wait & watch mode)
1/09  1.4 AN removed at NYU using Translab (total tumor removal)

JohnnyDiaz

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 07:32:31 am »
Prior to my surgery I asked my Dr. the same thing. A cold did not seem to bother them as much as something like strep. Antibiotics would usually be administered anyways during and after surgery or at least it is my understanding. The best thing for a cold is rest which I know is difficult to do and keep hydrated. Get well...
Diagnosed 6/08 - 2.5 cm Left AN
9.5hr surgery 10/7/08 w/Dr. Chandler and Dr. Green Baptist Hospital - Jax, Fl
Post Op Complications - Additional Surgeries 10/12 & 10/13
SSD on Left
7 months later I feel great!!!

Kaybo

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 11:16:41 am »
I found out I had an AN on Tuesday, went to Houston to the Dr. on Wednesday and they scheduled my surgery for the FOLLOWING Thursday!  However, I get strep on Friday and I called them and the nurse told it'd be "fine" (??)!  Well, I got back to Houston the following Monday for my pre-op and to see the Dr. and he said "absolutely not" - so they changed the surgery until the next Tuesday (it was kind a rush-rush deal b/c it was pressing so hard on the stem).  I was STRONGLY forbid to go ANYWHERE (even though we did sneak to the movies once in the middle of the day - no one there ;D)...I don't know what I would have done if "home" was where the illness was - probably gone somewhere else for the duration.  I don't know what they would do for a cold instead of an infection...definitely see what the Dr. says!
Good Luck!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!