Author Topic: Web video of AN surgery.  (Read 4208 times)

jw

Web video of AN surgery.
« on: October 20, 2005, 12:15:42 am »
Hi, all.

I saw a video of an AN surgery at the "Skull Base Institute" website.  It is through "a minimally invasive dime-size opening" behind the ear.  It seems like a different surgery from the regular?  I think that translab is through smaller holes, but I'm not sure.

Otherwise, is this what the surgery is like?  Do they use similar tools and procedures?  I'm just ciurious to know what the surgery is like.

John
Diagnosed 31 Oct 2005
Bilateral 0 cm ANs.

JHager

Re: Web video of AN surgery.
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2005, 07:50:03 am »
Hey John!

The Skull Base Institute is doing their surgeries 'endoscopically'.  This is a much smaller hole than tranlsab.  (I met with my surgical team on Tuesday and got the rundown - wow!)  From what I've read, the only other location they regularly use the endoscope is Korea.  The hole is small, but the risks are apparently much higher - if a blood vessel gets nicked, you can bleed out before they can get your head opened up to fix the problem.

The SBI actually has a website that describes the procedure - check it out. 

Hope this helps!

Josh
3.5 cm right AN.  Surgery 11/7/05, modified translab.  As recovered as I'd ever hoped to be.

Jeff

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2005, 08:17:31 am »
Some may also be interested in this 8 minute video of a surgery using the suboccipital approach located on this page.
http://www.ohsu.edu/neurosurgery/video.shtml
Jeff
NF2
multiple AN surgeries
last surgery June 08

jw

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2005, 11:23:42 am »
Thanks for the reply, Josh.  I'll also dig further on their site and read about the procedure.  How big is the hole that is used in translab?

Jeff, I'll head over to ohsu.edu and see that video.  Many thanks!
Diagnosed 31 Oct 2005
Bilateral 0 cm ANs.

jw

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2005, 11:38:40 am »
Some may also be interested in this 8 minute video of a surgery using the suboccipital approach located on this page.
http://www.ohsu.edu/neurosurgery/video.shtml
Jeff

WOW!  You are talking brain surgery there.  That's a very complicated procedure.  No wonder if takes so long to complete.
Diagnosed 31 Oct 2005
Bilateral 0 cm ANs.

JHager

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2005, 11:46:54 am »
Hey John,

From what I gather, the translab hole is half-dollar (American) sized - maybe an inch or so / 2.5 - 3.5 cm.  Pretty good sized.

I'll let you know for sure the second week of November!  ;D

Josh
3.5 cm right AN.  Surgery 11/7/05, modified translab.  As recovered as I'd ever hoped to be.

jw

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2005, 01:09:36 pm »
Hey John,

From what I gather, the translab hole is half-dollar (American) sized - maybe an inch or so / 2.5 - 3.5 cm.  Pretty good sized.

I'll let you know for sure the second week of November!  ;D

Josh

That would be a 'loony-sized' opening up here in Canada!  :P  I'll be thinking about you on Nov. 7th.  Say, did you get my email from a couple days ago?

John
Diagnosed 31 Oct 2005
Bilateral 0 cm ANs.

Boppie

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2005, 12:36:23 am »
I found the video very informative and interesting to watch.  Every bit of information I can get, read, see, just helps so much.  Thanks for the link.