Author Topic: What are the symptoms of an AN?  (Read 2661 times)

ncdude

What are the symptoms of an AN?
« on: September 16, 2005, 10:09:34 am »
Just wondering if anyone has a list of possible symptoms that may indicate an AN.  My doctor said that my 'assymetrical hearing' is still way in the normal range, so I haven't as yet been able to detect a difference in my ears until they did a hearing test.  The thing that brought me to the doctor was the feeling that something was tight (or seemed to be touching) the outside of my ear canal.  Thanks in advance.

ncdude

JHager

Re: What are the symptoms of an AN?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2005, 01:04:55 pm »
Hey NCDude,

First, I'll assume the 'NC' means North Carolina - glad to note that Ophelia decided to skip town and leave you alone!

About the symptoms, I'm guessing from your post you probably don't have any of the noticable ones.  The common ones are:

- Unilateral (one-sided) hearing loss
- Vertigo and/or other balance issues
- Facial numbness/paralysis
- Affected ear feeling 'full'
- Tinnitis (ringing in the ear)
- Less frequently, headaches, neckaches, and problems relating to cerebrospinal fluid blockage

I was diagnosed with a 3cm AN last month, and have only hearing loss and tinnitis.  In fact, my ENT has been noting my hearing loss since 2000, but didn't think it was AN until this last year, when my latest hearing test showed dramatic hearing loss.  I'm having surgery on November 7, the translab approach, because the tumor is large and against the cerbellum and brain stem.  Honestly, if it wasn't for the MRI, I would still think I had hearing loss from having multiple ear infections as a kid!

In other words, you can have all of the symptoms of AN or none - your doctor and radiologist will have to determine their cause.

Good luck!

Josh
3.5 cm right AN.  Surgery 11/7/05, modified translab.  As recovered as I'd ever hoped to be.

ncdude

Re: What are the symptoms of an AN?
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2005, 02:22:18 pm »
I'm honestly hoping I don't have a dog gone AN, and maybe my C3 nerve is just irritated.  The feeling in my ear comes and goes, and it's on the outside part of the ear (not the lobe).  I've got so many back troubles that I don't need this to boot.

I guess the big question is after a surgery to remove an AN, can you return to work after a few weeks and be 'normal' again.

ncdude (Ophelia missed us)