Author Topic: Dizzy & Nauseous...How Long?  (Read 4289 times)

TT

• Tenor Sax in stero; nothing better
Dizzy & Nauseous...How Long?
« on: October 02, 2006, 03:45:26 pm »
It's now been nearly 6 weeks and I can't stop feeling dizzy and nauseous. One day I feel pretty good and the next day I take two steps backward. Today was my second day back at the office full time. Fortunately, I spend my day behind a desk, but it's not easy some of the time. Some basic things things are very taxing such as typing while looking back and forth from the keyboard to the monitor. Driving is also a weird experience; my commute is 45 minutes. Once I arrive at the office or back to my home, my head is swimming and my stomach feels as though I've been riding a roller coaster. I'm wondering if there is an average amount of time I can expect this to go on. I have exercises from my doctor; however I don't see results happening very fast. Perhaps I'm being too impatient.

Terry
2 cm AN - right side
Diagnosed 6/22/06
Retro. procedure performed on 8/24/06 / SSD
Dr. Peter Smith & Dr. Robt. Backer
St. Johns Hospital - St. Louis, Missouri

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
Re: Dizzy & Nauseous...How Long?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 04:18:10 pm »
I'm 3 months out and still having issues...I don't know how you drive...my commute is just as long, but luckily I can commute on a train to work.  I couldn't drive it myself.  6 weeks is really early to be expecting so much.  I went back to work at 8 weeks 1/2 time, felt like I could have started that at 6 weeks, but waited 2 more....someone had told me that when I felt ready to go back, wait two more weeks.  My computer issue was mostly to do with my dry eye, when that got better, my ability to work on the computer got better.  Hang in there, don't push yourself, it'll feel loads better in 2-4 more weeks.
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

Battyp

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 06:10:47 pm »
Driving at 6 weeks!  WOW...I didn't drive for 6 mos after and started with that woozy feeling.  It's better as long as I don't turn my head too fast while driving I do pretty good.  There is no way I could drive 45 mins to work each day.  The one day I chanced that was I had no choice and it flat wore me out.  I was exhausted.  It all gets better in time. 

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 06:45:30 pm »
TT
It does get better, but can you take anymore sick leave? Like Batty, I didn't drive for at least 5 months, but then again, I am self-employed and work at home. The more you push yourself, the quicker your other systems compensate, but it takes a toll on you. If you get that nauseated and dizzy driving, are you sure you should be on the road? Another 2 or 3 weeks could make a big difference.

Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

nannettesea

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 07:20:03 pm »
Wow.   Driving like that?  You are WAAAAAY early in the game to fret about ongoing dizziness and nausea.  Hang in there.  Give it another month or two.

Challenge yourself but don't overdo...that's the key...moderation.

I have constant dizziness due to god knows what, 1 year + out, so you're LUCKY!!!

NN (Naughty Nan wench)
1.7cm x 1.4cm x .8cm, right ear
Trans-lab approach
Dr. Jay Rubinstein, U of WA
8/29/05

TT

• Tenor Sax in stero; nothing better
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2006, 11:52:37 am »
Thanks for the responses everyone. It sounds as though I'm expecting to much to soon. On the driving issue; don't worry, I'm not dangerous behind the wheel. I guess the need to get behind the wheel is a guy thing. I really wanted it bad because I leased a new car right before the surgery; I was anxious to play. I'll continue to do my excercises and be patient. I'm just grateful I have a desk job. If I had a physical job, I'm sure I'd still be home going nuts.

GO CARDINALS !!!
Terry
2 cm AN - right side
Diagnosed 6/22/06
Retro. procedure performed on 8/24/06 / SSD
Dr. Peter Smith & Dr. Robt. Backer
St. Johns Hospital - St. Louis, Missouri

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2006, 12:12:19 pm »
Terry,
   Kept doing the exercises, they help speed the process.  I could have gone back to work at 4 weeks, if I absolutely would have needed to.  But I was able to extend short term disability pay, so I waited until 8 weeks post-op to go back work.  In retrospect, I'm glad I waited, I was in much better shape after 8 weeks.  Some of the vestibular retraining stuff seems to be getting used to some of one's normal activities, which includes work, by doing them, repeatedly.  I do a lot of computer time at work, and staring at the screen all day took some getting used to, but it improved the more I did it.   It helps to take more breaks than I used to, even if it's a short walk down to the break room.  Things should continue to improve with time.
Good luck,
 Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW