Author Topic: I'm home & Happy  (Read 6139 times)

TT

• Tenor Sax in stero; nothing better
I'm home & Happy
« on: August 29, 2006, 01:28:21 pm »
Five days ago I had a 2cm AN removed by the retro procedure. The surgery took 1 hour and 40 minutes. The surgeons reported that they removed 100% of the tumor and did not have cut the hearing nerve. I have no hearing in the AN ear. I was told it may or may not come back somewhat; I can live with that. I was released from the hospital approximately 48 hours after surgery. I'm home now going through all of the normal healing effects, but I could not be happerier;  I have no facial issues. People who have visited me could not believe what I'd been through; I look prety normal except for stitches behind my right ear. Right now I'm in between naps. I'm on Vicodin for pain and Valium for Vertigo. I'm constantaly sick to my stomach, but it's getting better. I guess that's not a bad thing; I've lost 8 pounds. I take walks and do the neck exercises prescribed by my doctor. I'm a very happy man and I thank all those who prayed for me.
I would ike to add one thing. Dr Peter Smith and and Dr. Robert Backer are in St. Louis Missouri. I wolud give them very serious consideration for those of you in the Midwest. The men are fantastic.

Terry
2 cm AN - right side
Diagnosed 6/22/06
Retro. procedure performed on 8/24/06 / SSD
Dr. Peter Smith & Dr. Robt. Backer
St. Johns Hospital - St. Louis, Missouri

tatianne

Re: I'm home & Happy
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 01:35:40 pm »
thats amazing news Terry, Im really happy to hear that you have had your procedure done and you are doing so well. These positive stories are a God send for newbies like me and Im sure for you its a relief to be home and on the mend.
Take time to celebrate your life now,
God bless
T ;D
Waith and Watcher
July 2006 8mm
Jan 2007 9.5 mm
Jan 2009 1.4 cmm x 5mm
GK surgery completed on May 4, 2009 in Sherbrook Quebec, hoping and praying this will be the beginning of the end of my AN......

Survival Nate

• TravAddic
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 01:36:52 pm »
WOW Thats awsome, well if my wife deside to go to St.L rather than KC ill look into them. Glade to hear all is going great  ;D

Nate the PC Tech
at age 21yo
AN 5.05cm removed Feb 2005
Gamma Knifed July 2005
at age 31yo
AN regrowth @ 1.5cm - 2014
Pituitary Gland tumor 2mm
https://www.travaddic.com/

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 01:39:57 pm »
Terry,
 Ã‚ Congratulations! We love hearing about good outcomes. And that's one of the shortest surgery times I've heard of for AN.
 Ã‚ Please continue working hard on your naps  ;D , they're part of the recovery process.
Regards,
 Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Battyp

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2006, 02:44:57 pm »
OH MY Only 1 hour plus and home so soon!  BIG APPLAUDES TO YOU AND YOUR DOCS!!  Hoping you continue with such a good outcome!  I had retro and I did get a teeny tiny bit of hearing back so hoping you do too!  It helps with that wonky headed hearing feeling!  I'm so happy to hear such a great outcome!!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 02:46:38 pm by battyprincess »

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2006, 02:47:59 pm »
WOW!!! What Great news! I'm so glad you re doing so well. Who are these miricle Doc's?? ! hr 40min, unbeleivable.  The less time your under, the faster the recovery too.  I loe hearing these good outcome stories.  Congratualtions

Patti UT
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

Obita

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2006, 06:07:28 pm »
Great news Terry!!!

I was wondering how you are.  It sounds like you have the record for getting out of the hospital.  Oh well, I enjoyed my three day crown while it lasted.  Very glad to give it up to a two dayer!!!

Congrats Terry and good luck with the vertigo.  It just takes time.

Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

cookiesecond

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2006, 08:37:19 pm »
Thanks for sharing your GREAT news!!!!!

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2006, 10:31:35 pm »
OY! My record 2 1/2 hr surgery record has been broken! Congrats on having such a good outcome. I hope morse success stories like you will stick around and help any newbies coming here.  It seems most of us that stay here have "issues" -- the new ones have to hear the success stories, too.
As Laz says, "good on ya."
Capt Deb 8)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2006, 11:30:13 am by Captain Deb »
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

wind6

• Winch Wench ;)
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2006, 11:38:43 pm »
Wow, Wow, Wow........what great news. A far cry from my 12 hour surgery and 9 day stay in NICU. I am so happy for you Terry. Looks like this one gonna be a piece of cake for you. Its so good to hear from people like you. Thank you so much for sharing your story. Has to be very encouraging for all of out newbies. :)
2.5cm x 3.1cm facial nerve neuroma
removed 8-2-2005(retrosigmoid)
St.Johns Hospital-Springfield,Illinois
Dr.Michael McIlhany and Dr.Carol Bauer
Wait n' watch mode for 8 years.
Gamma Knife at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. Chicago,IL. Dr. James P. Chandler. July 10, 2013.

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2006, 02:32:45 pm »
Terrific news, Terry, with regards to your surgery. Wow!  I, too, am amazed that you had BRAIN SURGERY  :o and were back home so soon.  Just fantastic.  You may be holding this record for a long time!  Continued good luck and success in your healing to you. 

Sue in Vancouver
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

gemaste

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2006, 08:47:48 pm »
Five days ago I had a 2cm AN removed by the retro procedure. The surgery took 1 hour and 40 minutes. The surgeons reported that they removed 100% of the tumor and did not have cut the hearing nerve. I have no hearing in the AN ear. I was told it may or may not come back somewhat; I can live with that. I was released from the hospital approximately 48 hours after surgery. I'm home now going through all of the normal healing effects, but I could not be happerier;  I have no facial issues. People who have visited me could not believe what I'd been through; I look prety normal except for stitches behind my right ear. Right now I'm in between naps. I'm on Vicodin for pain and Valium for Vertigo. I'm constantaly sick to my stomach, but it's getting better. I guess that's not a bad thing; I've lost 8 pounds. I take walks and do the neck exercises prescribed by my doctor. I'm a very happy man and I thank all those who prayed for me.
I would ike to add one thing. Dr Peter Smith and and Dr. Robert Backer are in St. Louis Missouri. I wolud give them very serious consideration for those of you in the Midwest. The men are fantastic.

Terry

gemaste

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2006, 08:49:35 pm »
Hey Terry   Great News 

St. Louis seems to be the place    Go Cardinals

TT

• Tenor Sax in stero; nothing better
Re: I'm home & Happy-UPDATE
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2006, 11:39:00 am »
Thanks to those of you who responsed. On day 11 the muscles on my right side left me and yes, I was scared; everything had been going so well up until then. The next day I just happened to have the appointment to have the stitches removed. I was relieved to hear that this is a common an temporary side effect that can occur after several days after surgery. I wish I woud have been told in the beginning. They started me on steriods and I was told I should return to normal in 2-6 weeks. I was opperated on 2 weeks ago today. I'm still at home, but I'm improving daily. I'm still wobbely a little and I get tired easily, but I am a lucky guy and life is great. I think I'll go for a walk now with my little grandaughter Josie and enjoy this beautiful day.

Terry
2 cm AN - right side
Diagnosed 6/22/06
Retro. procedure performed on 8/24/06 / SSD
Dr. Peter Smith & Dr. Robt. Backer
St. Johns Hospital - St. Louis, Missouri

vcschaub

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2006, 06:04:04 pm »
I also had delayed facial weakness. Mine set in about 10 days after surgery. I was put back on steroids but I did not see much improvement after 2 weeks of taking them. However, now at 10 months, I am almost 100%. I have an eye that tears when I chew and slight synkinesis when I open my mouth wide, my AN eye partially closes. Hang in there, it appears to be common and it can resolve itself, probably not as fast as you wish though!
6mm
Middle Fossa November 8, 2005
Drs Brackmann and Hitselberger
House Ear