Author Topic: Metallic Taste  (Read 2186 times)

dominator8

Metallic Taste
« on: June 20, 2006, 05:02:04 pm »
I am one month post-op with no facial paralysis at all and recovery seems to be on track as far as regaining balance, etc., but,..... I have a metallic taste in my mouth and most foods taste metallic and generally terrible. I know this is common and may or may not resolve itself, but in the meantime,... does ANYONE know what foods are good/taste good with this problem???? Help???

cookiesecond

Re: Metallic Taste
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 05:09:10 pm »
Sweets were the only things that tasted good at first. Just know that it does pass soon.
Lynn

Battyp

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 08:40:46 pm »
sweets work for me....with my tongue half numb sweets are about the only thing that taste like it's suppose to.  Of course it's not the best thing for me  :(  Hope that taste goes away soon!

Boppie

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 11:33:25 pm »
I remember metallic taste well.  It will diminish slowly.

I enjoyed sweets, not too much cold stuff, not too spicy, I enjoyed my morning coffee and soft foods.  Crunchy rough textures seem to agitate the tongue surface for a while. 

Hang in there, at six months you will be enjoying everything.  I found that I was constantly using my tongue on my teeth to find a correct taste.  Try relaxation exercises and saliva increasing toothpaste. 

kimmy

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006, 04:12:12 am »
I´m 10 months post-op and still having trouble with the metallic taste in my mouth and the taste of food. Coffee is fine but chocolate and bread are not too nice. Even so, you have to eat! I´m on holiday in Spain and the hotel food is awful - tastes far too salty, I think that may partly be my sense of taste though.   I hope to go home tanned and thin!  I suppose we all heal in different ways and in different time scales but I´m hoping this taste will get better at some stage. I use artificial saliva too.

Nice to see Boppie posting again. :)
1.5cm. Translab at Manchester Royal Infirmary. August 2005

cookiesecond

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2006, 05:13:13 am »
I  had forgot about the salt. I usually love salt but right after surgery everything tasted too salty!!!I am 10 months post-op and things have settled down.
Lynn