Author Topic: Steppage Gait?  (Read 9479 times)

onebadass350bird

Steppage Gait?
« on: April 28, 2006, 11:40:33 pm »
Anyone have any problems with with walking normally?  I can walk only "ok", it doesn't exactly feel normal, and I kinda have to think about it while I'm doing it which I don't like.  As far as I understand, this can be temporary or permanent but there is no way to tell untill enough time goes by.  It kinda upsets me that I can only walk fast when I try but cannot jog or run.  I just can't really get the motion down.  Anyone has any experience with this?

Tom
17 hour Retrosigmoid on 10/19/05 for removal of 4cm AN

sunshine16

Re: Steppage Gait?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2006, 12:08:33 am »
I have problems walking straight.  I walk like I'm drunk esp.  when I'm tired or just getting out of the elevator. 

I haven't tried to jump or run....  I'm afraid to shake my head =)

onebadass350bird

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2006, 12:13:10 am »
How long ago was your Op?  I actually found out about my AN from a DUI arrest, they thought I was drunk too, and spent 9 hours in jail.

Tom
17 hour Retrosigmoid on 10/19/05 for removal of 4cm AN

sunshine16

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2006, 12:36:32 am »
oh, I'm sorry to hear that you have to spent time in jail.  tsk...tsk...tsk... it must be an awful experienced. 

I'm 5 months post op now.  I'll be celebrating the magic 6 months post on May 15.  I heard that I should feel a lot better by that time. 

Desilu

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2006, 08:14:58 am »
Hi Tom,

Had problems walking right after surgery because they severed my balance nerve but was told to walk as much as I can so that my body could re-adjust itself. I did a lot of walking and it really helped. I am 9 months post surgery. I still notice some balance problems when I am tired or when I walk in the dark. I have talked to a lot of people who have tried Tai Chi and they say it has helped their balance tremendously although I have not personally tried it yet, I am definitely considering it. Hope things work out for you, Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

Battyp

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2006, 08:16:15 am »
Tom I have the same gait problem.  As long as I stay focused and concentrated I look normal.  If I am tired or  tyring to say talk while I walk I get more pronounced with the drunk walk.  I have spent hours trying to perfect a  normal walk and have seen slight improvement which I don't know I'd have seen without all the therapy.

YIKES hard way to find out your not a drunk by spending the night in the holding tank.  Hopefully they dropped the charges and aplogized profusely?  That was one of my biggest fears when I was sick and knew something was wrong was not being able to pass a sobriety test if I got pulled over and I don't drink  lol  Would have been right there with you!

Battyp

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2006, 08:17:23 am »
Desilu just mentioned thai chi in another thread.  They do it twice a week at my therapy place for the senior group and it does work to help with balance.  At least they seniors doing it all agree  :o)  My therapist has made a tape they use for therapy.

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2006, 08:32:24 am »
Tom,
Believe me your gait will get better with time--I walked like a two year old for quite a while and still do in the dark or when I'm tired. Practice, practice practice. I can now run a mile on a treadmill, without hanging on--something I thought I'd never be able to do. I had to work my way up to it gradually.  It takes a lot more concentration than it used to. I found the treadmill to be my very best PT tool.

I also do what's called the "bobblehead strut" on the treadmill in the gym--people must think I'm looney tunes walking fast and hanging on while I try to focus my eyes  back and forth on different objects in the gym room. Pretty soon, I was able to do it with just one finger on the bar.  And now I can do head turns while not hanging on for a while. (about 10 seconds) Just work your way into it. Practice, practice, practice.

Captain Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Battyp

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2006, 08:34:23 am »
Sounds very familiar Capt Deb..."bobblehead strut"  You do come up with some great terms that really fit!  I still like "wondky headed"   ;D

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2006, 10:54:35 am »
The bobblehead strut will definitely give you Wonkyhead! ;D  Not to mention the Ragin' Whizzies!

Capt Deb 8)

Battyp

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2006, 11:28:42 am »
We need to start a thread in addition to suzannes medical dictionary thread...

Capt Debs dictionary of famous and relevant AN terms....

B=bobbleheaded
W= wonky headed (my personal fav!)
R= Raging whizzies

wonder if we can get the doctors to understand these terms?  ;)

Raydean

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2006, 09:01:54 pm »
Tom,

I think what you're describing  could be more in the area of a complication from having such a large tumor with brain stem involvement.  I have a similar outcome,my gait is more of a wide base.  I can walk ok, but cannot walk at a real fast pace, nor can I jog or run.  This is different then a balance issue, it's the inability to jog or run.  Over time I have improved in walking and balance.  I'm able to hike,  and go out in the woods but have not gained the ability to run.  As I understand it in talking to my doctor it's related to the brainstem.  There was concern in the beginning as to if I would be able to walk at all.

It's something that you might want to talk to your doctor or neurologist about for better understanding.

best to you
Chet
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Road Trip Dale

• Dale - 6 days after surgery!
    • Frappr/dale
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2006, 10:09:48 am »
Being new to the forums (just having had my surgery two weeks ago) I am having some good laughs thanks to you folks.  I was advised to keep a good sense of humor during this process and apparently everyone else received the same great information.  My family's favorite term for now is "Weeble".  Taken, of course, from "Weebles Wobble but they don't fall down."  I haven't fallen yet, but I certainly have had the weeble wobbles.  I feel very fortunate after reading some of the responses.  After just two weeks I can walk almost normal (as long as I don't sling my head around too fast).  Haven't tried to jog yet but that will come I'm sure.  I do wobble when I'm tired and I seem to be tired alot.

Keep us laughing, its good for the soul!

Dale
1.75 AN Right Side
Translab 4/16/06
Dr. Charles Leutje and Dr. Paul Camarata
St Luke's, Kansas City, MO

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2006, 12:34:24 pm »
Dale,

Have you tried the "Bobblehead Strut?"  It is a PT excercise that invoves walking while doing head turns and focusing on distant objects.  Makes ya walk like a 2 year-old at first, but it's a great excercise!

Capt Deb 8)

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2006, 01:03:37 pm »
Hi Dale and welcome!  Food is good, drinks are not watered down and the jokes... well... try to laugh... ;)

Ah, the Weeble Walk... I've mastered it!  Between my Chiari 1 and the AN (now 3-1/2 wks post Cyberknife radiosurgery), heck, I have no clue what throws me off balance! This past weekend, my bloke saw the car jump behind me (while standing next to it) to catch me when I went off balance!  I've learned to "gracefully" weeble this way ann'a that way but keeping my eyes straight ahead. Now, should there come a time for me to dance at any event (ie: nightclub, wedding, etc), gawd, I hope I don't have to fast dance...... I think I'll sit those out!

"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"