Author Topic: walking after dark and lite reflections!  (Read 3596 times)

lmurray69

walking after dark and lite reflections!
« on: April 07, 2007, 08:42:51 am »
Well gang,I have missed you all. But I have to say, that my problem lately is walking after dark. I am unstable and feel like i am on a big peace of foam. I go left then cant straighten up to get corrected in the right course...We are getting ready to travel in the motor home and it was dark and thank god i had things to hold on to. plus watch out for the cold weather. I still have the face problems if it is cold i cant talk well...anyoneelse with this problem...I noticed mine after surgery.. the bright floors in walmart...stuff like that..
radiation feb 05, gammaknife, tumor is 1.2x0.08/ surgery Nov 1st 2006 Dr House/Swarts/

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: walking after dark and lite reflections!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 12:10:13 pm »
Hi there Linda:  Yes, I still have problems walking in the dark, but it is better than before.
                       I still have right sided facial paralysis,  but I've grown accustomed to my face (isn't that a song?), the eye is still a big issue, but, life goes on & I make the best of everyday !!!!
                      I am so jealous you're going out travelling in your motor home - that will be so much fun, wobbly balance & all !!!
                      In Feb. I went to Bermuda with my best friend, it was so nice just getting away.....  I'm hoping for a trip to Montauk Point, Long Island, NY either
September or October.   I feel like I could use a vacation now !!!!  Always loved travelling, but who doesn't?

Stay well my friend,  enjoy your 'excellent vacationing'!!!!      Nancy
« Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 12:22:12 pm by nancyann »
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

lmurray69

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 01:08:27 pm »
Thanks for reply nancy,,, will try and have a good trip'sssssssss
radiation feb 05, gammaknife, tumor is 1.2x0.08/ surgery Nov 1st 2006 Dr House/Swarts/

Boppie

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 01:19:18 pm »
Linda, I had some problems with balance on shiney floors in stores, and between tall aisles.  My balance problems were gone by 9 months post op. 

It sounds as if you are enjoying some travel time and that can't hurt the spirit.  I think traveling in a motor home would have been difficult for most of us in the beginning.  I hope you'll get some good therapy out of the motion and climbing in and out.

Keep your ankles supported with good sneakers. 

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2007, 03:01:47 pm »
Hi Linda,

I too have difficulty walking in the dark and on shiney floors.  I found out, oddly enough during hurricane Wilma when we boarded up the house, (completely dark inside lit w/candle light) I was becoming nauseous and even undsteady sitting on the couch!  I turned on my little flash light and held it just behind my eye on the temple and the light helped tremendously.  I also found using this light near my eye very helpful one time walking through a parking lot in the evening (had to teach yoga that evening).  I have since applied for a "handicap" tag and park in the front of the building as people were staring at me and I found this uncomfortable, besides my arm would tire holding it in a "cocked" position for a length of time.  I remember seeing in the hardware store headgear (head band) with little LEDs on each side to use while working in dark areas hands free.  As for the shiney floors, I don't have a good remedy to ease us through that situation except I often wished at those moments I had a cane--might just buy myself a cute little cane for just those occasions!  Holding onto a shopping cart helps though. 

Safe traveling to you and your hubby.  I look forward to hearing about your adventures! 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

lmurray69

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007, 08:44:42 am »
Thanks for all that replyed. The lite in the eye I dont know ,I guess dont knock it  till you try it.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2007, 10:46:19 am »
Linda, you have been missed  :-*

Have darkness issues here on occassion as well.......when I walk the dog at night, I have to make sure a flashlight is wtih me and leaning over in the dark to scoop her "business" makes it even worse.  As we know, blance issues arise with our loverly AN's.... so, I've tried to compensate for it by other means... and when CB gets here, he can walk the dog in the dark :D

Phyl
« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 10:59:50 am by ppearl214 »
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

lmurray69

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2007, 05:55:06 pm »
I dont know if I told you are not but I had to find Maggie a new home she droped me and drag me for 1/2 block before we could get her to stoped. One of the neighbors dogs got loose and they ran at her. And so she did what she was supost to do protect me.. But I fould a nice guy that took her she is on a farm now and I saw that she is doing great..I miss her alot..very sad for me .....so i know about the walking dog..

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2007, 10:39:18 am »
I'm so sorry about your dog, you must be missing your friend tremendously.  I had a similar incident with our bullmastiff Blu.  He has a tendancy to charge after ducks.  While standing and looking up into a tree he charged after a duck on the sidewalk across the street. This spun me around so fast I didn't even know where I was until I saw sky.  I then realised I was on my back in the middle of the street.  Naturally, Blu was sitting like a "good boy" at my feet.  I now realise the power behind my dog and will let him go as I do not wish to fall again.  I have been working with him diligently to "come" when called in hopes it will work if he should charge after a duck again--sigh!  Funny, since the fall he seems to be more cautious with his "charging" ahead, as if he knows his strength and my weakness?!  Anyway, I do understand the reason behind the choice you made and I know how hard this has to be as I too considered the same. 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2007, 05:17:41 am »
Linda,
I hope you are going somewhere warmer in your motor home!  The weather reports your way have been nasty!  I have problems with shiny floors and darkness.  I know the foam feeling well!  What a wonderful way to describe it.  I'm so sorry about your Maggie, but I'm glad that you are able to check on her.  I think I'll try out the LED thingy for night time walking with my hubby.  Have a fun and safe trip!
Hugs,
BrendaO
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT